RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

(fwd) GIMP CMYK Devloper - Willing to Pay

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

(fwd) GIMP CMYK Devloper - Willing to Pay Branko Collin 14 Feb 12:07
  (fwd) GIMP CMYK Devloper - Willing to Pay Sven Neumann 14 Feb 12:12
   (fwd) GIMP CMYK Devloper - Willing to Pay Patrick McFarland 14 Feb 12:15
    (fwd) GIMP CMYK Devloper - Willing to Pay Øyvind Kolås 14 Feb 12:42
    (fwd) GIMP CMYK Devloper - Willing to Pay Sven Neumann 14 Feb 13:06
   (fwd) GIMP CMYK Devloper - Willing to Pay Kai-Uwe Behrmann 14 Feb 14:55
    (fwd) GIMP CMYK Devloper - Willing to Pay Robert L Krawitz 16 Feb 01:49
     (fwd) GIMP CMYK Devloper - Willing to Pay Kai-Uwe Behrmann 16 Feb 09:37
1045224942.4047.8.camel@loc... 07 Oct 20:21
  (fwd) GIMP CMYK Devloper - Willing to Pay Sven Neumann 14 Feb 13:36
Branko Collin
2003-02-14 12:07:05 UTC (about 21 years ago)

I saw the following in comp.graphics.apps.gimp.

Branko

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 21:13:44 -0500, in comp.graphics.apps.gimp Ruben wrote:

NYLXS is willing to sponser a real CMYK filter for the GIMP. If anyone is interested in doing this, please email me with estimated cost.

Ruben Safir http://www.nylxs.com
http://fairuse.nylxs.com NY Fair Use

--
branko collin
"I won't say anything because no one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record." - Neil, of The Young Ones

Sven Neumann
2003-02-14 12:12:17 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Hi,

Branko Collin writes:

Branko

NYLXS is willing to sponser a real CMYK filter for the GIMP. If anyone is interested in doing this, please email me with estimated cost.

now what is a "real CMYK filter" ?

Salut, Sven

Patrick McFarland
2003-02-14 12:15:32 UTC (about 21 years ago)

On 14-Feb-2003, Sven Neumann wrote:

I think he ment as in CMYK colorspace mode. (Like RGBA and such.)

Øyvind Kolås
2003-02-14 12:42:41 UTC (about 21 years ago)

* Patrick McFarland [030214 12:19]:

Or is a e.g. a tiff plug-in capable of doing the CMYK transformation at save time sufficient?. An offset press want the images in CMYK since the neccesary seperation is already done then. But having a CMYK image won't guarantee anything since you don't neccesarily have colormetric models of the screen colors spaces, nor the printing device..

Perhaps all he suggests is the possiblity to save CMYK as tiff, with a dialog box that lets you tune the output,.. e.g. how many % of black is pulled out,. and perhaps even tuning the transform matrix in some way,.. and softproofing for the out of gamut colors?

/Øyvind K.

(Assuming that messages awaiting moderation will be deleted,.. I'll just repost with the mailing address that I think is subscribed here)

Sven Neumann
2003-02-14 13:06:04 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Hi,

Patrick McFarland writes:

well, yes, I do know what CMYK means. But I still don't know what a "real CMYK filter" would be. Using the standard GIMP terminology a filter would probably be a plug-in. But it could be meant as full CMYK support in the core as well.

If someone wants to support CMYK, it would probably be best to

(1) Add CMYK save support to the TIFF plug-in (as Øyvind Kolås) suggested. This would give you preliminary CMYK support now. (2) Evaluate what needs to be done add CMYK support to GEGL, then just do it. This would give you real CMYK support in a not too distant future.

Salut, Sven

Sven Neumann
2003-02-14 13:36:23 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Hi,

Jim Meier writes:

(1) Add CMYK save support to the TIFF plug-in (as Øyvind Kolås) suggested. This would give you preliminary CMYK support now.

Such a thing is a hop, skip and a jump from existence; just bolt the conversion code from this netpbm filter onto the gimp tiff plugin. http://www.acooke.org/jara/cmyktiff/

any volunteers? Such a change, if done well, could even still go into GIMP-1.4 ...

(2) Evaluate what needs to be done add CMYK support to GEGL, then just do it. This would give you real CMYK support in a not too distant future.

Is this in the purview of the GEGL system? (IE, can it handle novel colorspaces, as well as novel datatypes?)

I haven't yet spent much time with GEGL but I'd say that nocel colorspaces and novel datatypes is exactly what this beast was designed for.

Salut, Sven

Kai-Uwe Behrmann
2003-02-14 14:55:34 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Hi,
Even I'm not an educated programmer, I have staying cmyk on my plans for gimp. My reason is to get my own photos out for printing and let my printer sensible show the colors I missed for long time on paper. (Same should be with offset printing ... ) There are two targets for me:
- integrate RGB -> CMYK via lcms
(include gamut checking, select of the right profiles ...) - interface tiff / gimp-print - for exporting and for directly printing

This is longterm, because I'm workless at the moment and try to get some money otherway (VR). If there is an interest to speed this up, I would be glad. Please consider other authors too, wich may have more experience with this like Karl-Heinz Kremer or
Martí Maria wich I just remember.

For more longterm I await gegl interfaced in gimp ;-)

regards Kai-Uwe

Am 14.02.03, 12:12 +0100 schrieb Sven Neumann:

Hi,

Branko Collin writes:

Branko

Salut, Sven

Robert L Krawitz
2003-02-16 01:49:50 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 14:55:34 +0100 (CET) From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann

Hi, Even I'm not an educated programmer, I have staying cmyk on my plans for gimp. My reason is to get my own photos out for printing and let my printer sensible show the colors I missed for long time on paper. (Same should be with offset printing ... ) There are two targets for me:
- integrate RGB -> CMYK via lcms (include gamut checking, select of the right profiles ...) - interface tiff / gimp-print - for exporting and for directly printing

Are you suggesting a standalone program to print TIFF files, without having to go through the GIMP? That wouldn't be hard to do with the Gimp-print development mainline (currently at 4.3.10).

Kai-Uwe Behrmann
2003-02-16 09:37:02 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Am 15.02.03, 19:49 -0500 schrieb Robert L Krawitz:

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 14:55:34 +0100 (CET) From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann

There are two targets for me:
- integrate RGB -> CMYK via lcms (include gamut checking, select of the right profiles ...) - interface tiff / gimp-print - for exporting and for directly printing

Are you suggesting a standalone program to print TIFF files, without having to go through the GIMP? That wouldn't be hard to do with the Gimp-print development mainline (currently at 4.3.10).

I changed my mind with currently anoouncement of gimp-print 4.3.9 . Now, it's intendet to run inside gimp. I'm thinking of CMYK code to pipe the image data through with gimp-print. The output could go as usually processed to the printer and too to tiff - similiar to Postscript. The advantage would be to use gimp-print with it's adjustment opportunities - great.
Something similiar like this is really hard to do in the gimp core. (It would take much more time and is with upcoming gegl incompareable.)

I hope to find an good place for the ICC profile code and the neccesarry settings tab too.