RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

state of libgimptool and assorted hacks

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

state of libgimptool and assorted hacks Sven Neumann 13 Feb 11:53
  state of libgimptool and assorted hacks Sven Neumann 17 Mar 12:38
   state of libgimptool and assorted hacks Nick Lamb 17 Mar 14:01
Sven Neumann
2003-02-13 11:53:49 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Hi,

since we are approaching completion of code cleanup in the core, I'd like to ask if the code in libgimptool, libgimpproxy and plug-ins/tools is still considered to be maintained and being worked on?

I personally don't believe that we should try to get pluggable tools into the next stable release. It makes the tools code unnecessarily complex and it exposes too many internals of the GIMP core. In my opinion we should postpone pluggable tools to the next development cycle and remove the code from the HEAD branch now. Comments anyone?

Salut, Sven

Sven Neumann
2003-03-17 12:38:59 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Hi,

following up to myself (posted more than a month ago):

since we are approaching completion of code cleanup in the core, I'd like to ask if the code in libgimptool, libgimpproxy and plug-ins/tools is still considered to be maintained and being worked on?

I personally don't believe that we should try to get pluggable tools into the next stable release. It makes the tools code unnecessarily complex and it exposes too many internals of the GIMP core. In my opinion we should postpone pluggable tools to the next development cycle and remove the code from the HEAD branch now. Comments anyone?

I'm surprised by the silence. Should I interpret it as an approbation?

Salut, Sven

Nick Lamb
2003-03-17 14:01:30 UTC (about 21 years ago)

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 12:38:59PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

I'm surprised by the silence. Should I interpret it as an approbation?

Sounds pretty bad. The GIMP is developing a history of adding "cool" features which then become unmaintained and are ultimately just turned off in CVS. Maybe future "cool" stuff should be rejected until it's maintainable, thereby keeping up the pressure to actually make it work rather than just "it's checked in, I'll sort it out properly in a few weeks/ months/ years" ?

Nick.