RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

status of the mailing-list merger ?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

New GIMP build available Kevin Myers 15 Jan 05:40
  New GIMP build available Sven Neumann 15 Jan 11:48
   New GIMP build available Tor Lillqvist 15 Jan 22:46
    New GIMP build available Sven Neumann 15 Jan 23:04
    New GIMP build available Arnaud Charlet 16 Jan 10:28
     status of the mailing-list merger ? Sven Neumann 27 Jan 17:21
      status of the mailing-list merger ? Tor Lillqvist 27 Jan 19:58
15908.56054.21000.79222@gar... 07 Oct 20:21
Kevin Myers
2003-01-15 05:40:11 UTC (over 21 years ago)

New GIMP build available

Thanks a lot Tor!

I wish that I'd have know that you were gonna jump right on this so quickly. I have one more fix related to high aspect ratio images that I would have liked to get in. Unfortunately, I got sidetracked on something else, and didn't get bugzilla updated with a new bug entry or my patch yet. Fortunately, this is a relatively minor issue. :-)

s/KAM

P.S. - My additional fix for app/interface.c is included below, just in case you might want to go ahead and consider implementing it. This fixes ignores the size of the long axis when determining the initial display scale for high aspect ratio images, so that they don't get displayed at ridiculously small scales. I have hardcoded an aspect ratio of 5 to 1 as the cutoff point. Ideally that would be a user preference item.

diffs in /app/interface.c, create_display_shell, near line 701, column 1 old (-), new (+):

gint n_width, n_height; gint s_width, s_height;
gint scalesrc, scaledest;
gint contextid;

/* adjust the initial scale -- so that window fits on screen */ /* the 75% value is the same as in gdisplay_shrink_wrap. It */ /* probably should be a user-configurable option. */ s_width = gdk_screen_width () * 0.75; s_height = gdk_screen_height () * 0.75;

scalesrc = SCALESRC (gdisp); scaledest = SCALEDEST (gdisp);

n_width = SCALEX (gdisp, width); n_height = SCALEX (gdisp, height);

/* Limit to the size of the screen... */ - while (n_width > s_width || n_height > s_height) + /* 2003/01/13 KAM - ignore long dimension for high aspect ratio */ + while ((n_width > s_width && n_width / 5 < n_height) || + (n_height > s_height && n_height / 5 < n_width)) {
if (scaledest > 1)
scaledest--;
else
if (scalesrc < 0xff)
scalesrc++;

n_width = width * (scaledest * SCREEN_XRES (gdisp)) / (scalesrc * gdisp->gimage->xresolution);
n_height = height *
(scaledest * SCREEN_XRES (gdisp)) / (scalesrc * gdisp->gimage->xresolution);
+
+ if (scaledest == 1 && scalesrc == 0xff) + break;
}

+ /* force window size limit when dimension ignored for high aspect ratio */
+ if (n_width > s_width ) n_width = s_width; + if (n_height > s_height) n_height = s_height; +
gdisp->scale = (scaledest << 8) + scalesrc;

----- Original Message ----- From: Tor Lillqvist
To: gimpwin-dev@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 9:52 PM Subject: [gimpwin-dev] New GIMP build available

A frech build of GIMP 1.2.4 (pre-release) available from www.gimp.org/win32/downloads-20030104.html. (The build is from today, despite the timestamp in that page's name.) This includes the latest fixes for the bugs related to very large or extreme aspect ratio images that Kevin Myers reported.

Make sure to make a backup copy of your current GIMP installation before installing this on top of it, in case something is broken and you want to go back.

Unless some big problems are reported, I'll rename that downloads-20030104 page into downloads.html soon, thus making it the default.

The ChangeLog back to the last build for Windows (2002-09-07) is included below. The ChangeLog does not include some changes that I have made only in my local copy of the sources. The most important of those (as I can remember) are:

- Display a warning when handling files or folders with non-ASCII characters in them. Fixing their handling completely would require quite lots of effort, which is better spent on GIMP 1.4.

- Convert back and forth between the system code page and UTF-8 in some more places.

This comment describes the situation regarding non-ASCII file names:

/* On Windows, this version of GIMP uses a branch of GTK+ 1.3.0 which * uses UTF-8, except for two calls: gtk_file_selection_get_filename(), * and gtk_file_selection_set_filename(), which use the current codepage. *
* In retrospect, it might have been enough not to make GTK+ 1.3.0 use * Unicode on Windows, but to stick to the current codepage, similar * as GTK+ 1.2.x on Unix. But too late to change now. I didn't realize * when doing the port that GTK+ 2.0 was going totally Unicode, and * that I might have waited for that when I wanted Unicode support. *
* This version of GIMP just barely works with non-ASCII filenames. * The convention in this version of GIMP is that filenames stored and * passed around are in the system codepage. When retrieved from or * passed to GTK (other than the two APIs mentioned above) we have to * convert back and forth. But there are still lots of places where * the system codepage filenames are not converted even if they * sprintfed together with internationalised messages that *are* in * UTF-8. It's best to avoid non-ASCII filenames, sorry. *
* Tor Lillqvist, 2002-12-16
*/

Here's the ChangeLog:

2003-01-14 Sven Neumann

* app/scale.c: removed two lines which have become obsolete after my latest change.

* plug-ins/perl/examples/tex-to-float (tex_string_to_pgm): applied a patch from Yeti that makes the plug-in handle the output of newer versions of dvips (fixes #102435).

2003-01-13 Manish Singh

* configure.in: Partially address #102058 with a --with-shm configure
option. Defaults to sysv except on OS X, where it is none.

2003-01-10 Sven Neumann

* app/interface.c (create_display_shell): break out of the loop that calculates the initial zoom ratio in case we hit our limits. Seems to fix bug #103030.

* app/scale.c (change_scale): removed a check that dates back to the times when we used Motif for our user interface and scrollbars used short values. Fixes bug #94979.

2003-01-09 Sven Neumann

* app/procedural_db.c (procedural_db_run_proc): always set the number of returned values, even in case of an error (fix merged from HEAD branch).

2003-01-06 Sven Neumann

* tools/gimp-remote.c: backported the rewritten gimp-remote from the HEAD branch.

2003-01-06 Sven Neumann

* gimp-1.2.1.in * gimptool-1.2.1.in: removed incorrect copyright clauses and updated information about bug reporting.

2003-01-05 Sven Neumann

* plug-ins/script-fu/scripts/starscape-logo.scm: merged fix for bug #73894 from HEAD branch.

2003-01-05 Sven Neumann

* app/gimpimage.c (gimp_image_merge_layers): redid the fix for bug #101036 since Garry's fix introduced a crash if the flattened image has undo disabled. Instead of temporarily changing the layer mode, just use a different mode for combine_regions().

2003-01-02 Sven Neumann

* app/channel.c (channel_feather): pass offsets to channel_combine_mask() to fix bug #101731 [Fuzzy Selection with feather is wrong].

2002-12-31 Garry R. Osgood

* app/gimpimage.c: Unless DISSOLVE_MODE, temporarily set bottom mode of composite to "Normal" in all merge types; including image flatten. Prevents unintended compositional arithmetic on receiving layer internally employed by gimp_image_merge_layers (). Closes bug #101036 on gimp-1-2 branch only.

2002-12-30 Sven Neumann

* plug-ins/imagemap/imap_csim.l * plug-ins/imagemap/imap_csim.y * plug-ins/imagemap/imap_csim_parse.[ch]: merged fix for bug #97776 from HEAD branch.

2002-12-28 Garry R. Osgood

* app/brightness_contrast.c * app/color_balance.c
* app/curves.c
* app/hue_saturation.c
* app/levels.c
* app/posterize.c
* app/threshold.c: altered tool initializers *_initialize () to first query whether or not the image contains drawables; tool initialization does not proceed for empty images. Closes bug #86494 on gimp-1-2 branch only. See report at bugzilla.gnome.org for details.

2002-12-21 Garry R. Osgood

* app/gimpimage.c: fixed a buglet introduced in 2002-12-19 check-in that affected scripts bracketing merge operations with "gimp-image-undo-disable"/"gimp-image-undo-enable" pairs.

2002-12-20 Garry R. Osgood

* app/color_balance.h
* app/curves.c
* app/curves.h
* app/hue_saturation.c
* app/hue_saturation.h
* app/levels.c
* app/posterize.c
* app/threshold.c
* app/threshold.h : fixed connect/disconnect asymmetry bug introduced
in my 2002-19-2002 check-in (Thanks, Mitch for pointing it out). See report for bug #82671 at bugzilla.gnome.org for details.

2002-12-19 Nathan Summers

* app/xcf.c (xcf_save_invoker): check the return value of fclose as discussed on the gimp-developer mailing list.

2002-12-19 Sven Neumann

* app/xcf.c: unmarked most of the strings that Nathan marked for translation. The messages should only be triggered under very rare circumstances and the strings would need to be reviewed before marking them as translatable. We are too close to a release for major string changes.

2002-12-19 Nathan Summers

* app/xcf.c: actually check to make sure writes are successful, instead of unconditionally assuming that they are. Fixes bug #101340.

2002-12-19 Garry R. Osgood

* MAINTAINERS: updated my CV.

* app/gimpimage.c: new GimpImage signal, LAYER_MERGE, to flag pending layer merges. gimp_image_merge_layers() emits prior to start of undo group.

* app/curves.c
* app/hue_saturation.c
* app/levels.c
* app/posterize.c

* app/threshold.c: cancel callbacks connect to GimpImage LAYER_MERGE signals. Closes Bug #82671; gimp crash with (1) active image map tools while (2) user performs a merge operation. See report for bug #82671 at bugzilla.gnome.org for details.

2002-12-17 Sven Neumann

* plug-ins/perl/Gimp.pm: changed the documentation as suggested in bug #84884.

2002-12-17 Sven Neumann

* app/main.c: don't install signal handlers for fatal signals if stack_trace_mode is STACK_TRACE_NEVER (fixes bug #71409).

* plug-ins/common/jpeg.c: applied a patch from Raphael Quinet that changes the plug-in to not attach a parasite with default settings when a JPEG image is loaded (fixes bug #75398).

2002-12-17 Sven Neumann

* plug-ins/webbrowser/web-browser.scm: applied a patch from Raphael Quinet that removes outdated links and adds one for the GUG (bug #101435).

2002-12-13 Sven Neumann

* tools/pdbgen/pdb/drawable.pdb * tools/pdbgen/pdb/selection.pdb: document how to interpret the numbers returned for the selection bounding box. Fixes bug #96284.

* app/drawable_cmds.c * app/selection_cmds.c
* libgimp/gimpdrawable_pdb.c * libgimp/gimpselection_pdb.c: regenerated.

2002-12-13 Sven Neumann

* plug-ins/imagemap/imap_file.c: hide the file selection dialogs on "delete_event". Fixes bug #92750.

2002-12-13 Sven Neumann

* plug-ins/common/papertile.c: merged fix for bug #83971 from HEAD branch.

2002-12-13 Sven Neumann

* plug-ins/common/tiff.c: applied a patch from Peter Kirchgessner that suppresses the progress bar in non-interactive mode (#97352).

2002-12-13 Sven Neumann

* app/gdisplay_ops.c (gdisplay_shrink_wrap): avoid to move the image window offscreen (#79486).

2002-12-06 Hans Breuer

* plug-ins/common/winclipboard.c : need to adjust the data pointer for BI_BITFIELDS bitmaps, fixes #99246

2002-11-12 Sven Neumann

* app/paint_core.c: merged fix for #91067 from HEAD branch.

2002-11-11 Michael Natterer

* app/gimpcontext.c (gimp_context_set_default_colors, gimp_context_swap_colors): don't simply crash when called with a NULL context but use the deafult context. Fixes this functions when called from the PDB. Spotted by Michael Bushey .

2002-11-09 Manish Singh

* plug-ins/common/png.c: allow setting compression level 0 from the UI.

2002-11-07 Dave Neary

* plug-ins/common/xbm.c: Applied patch from Raphael Quinet to suppress printing of comments in XBM files. Closes bug #82763.

2002-11-07 Dave Neary

* help/C/images/brush_dialog.png * help/C/dialogs/brush_selection.html: Applied patch from Cameron Gregory to add missing help file. Closes bug #92377.

2002-11-06 Sven Neumann

* plug-ins/common/png.c: applied patch from Raphael Quinet that untoggles the "Save background color" option for images w/o an alpha channel (#92395).

2002-10-29 Dave Neary

* plug-ins/common/png.c: Back-ported patch from HEAD to close bug #55700.

2002-10-29 Manish Singh

* gimptool-1.2.in: strip paths from the plug-in filename for installation (fixes #97111).

2002-10-22 Tor Lillqvist

* app/Makefile.am: Add rule to produce gimp.def from gimp.sym. Had been left out by mistake. Add rule to mv gimp-1.2.exe gimp.exe.

* config.h.win32: Define HAVE_BIND_TEXTDOMAIN_CODESET (which is essential on Win32 builds to get working i18n with a libintl that otherwise converts to some codepage. Also define HAVE_GETTEXT even if that isn't checked in any file. Define HAVE_WINSOCK_H. Add some #undefs from a current configure-generated config.h for completeness' sake.

* app/main.c (main) * app/plug_in.c (plug_in_make_menu) * libgimp/stdplugins-intl.h: If on Win32, call bind_textdomain_codeset() to get messages from gettext in UTF-8, which is what the GTK+ 1.3.0 used on Win32 wants.

* app/plug_in.c (plug_in_close): Move a variable inside #ifndef G_OS_WIN32.
(xspawnv): Remove a couple of leftover unused variables.

2002-10-16 Tor Lillqvist

* gimptool-win32.c.in (find_out_env_flags): Fixes for --msvc-syntax handling. Don't try to use configure-time CFLAGS and LDFLAGS intended for gcc if we are asked to do --msvc-syntax.

* Makefile.am (EXTRA_DIST): Add gimptool-win32.c and .in. No rules to build gimptool-win32.exe on Windows, would require some automake acrobatics that I am too tired to attempt now.

2002-10-08 Sven Neumann

* plug-ins/common/ps.c: applied a patch from Peter Kirchgessner that fixes bug #78310 (wrong bounding box when exporting to EPS).

2002-09-26 Jacob Berkman

* modules/Makefile.am (CPPFLAGS): rename to AM_CPPFLAGS

2002-09-24 Michael Natterer

* app/channel.c (channel_sharpen): ported fix for #93853 from HEAD.

2002-09-18 Manish Singh

* plug-ins/dbbrowser/dbbrowser_utils.c: Allow activation of the search from the entry field.

2002-09-16 Hans Breuer

* app/makefile.msc libgimp/makefile.msc plug-ins/makefile.msc modules/makefile.msc : Updated to allow building Gimp 1.2.x with msvc using the same libraries as the mingw build does.

* app/user_install.c : #ifdef G_OS_WIN32 get the definitions of S_ISDIR and S_ISREG

* libgimp/gimp.def libgimp/gimpui.def : exported more non underscored functions (shoud be almost complete now)

* plug-ins/gflare/gflare.c : include before relying on G_OS_* being defined

* plug-ins/twain/twain.c : implement main() to allow to build as console app as well.

2002-09-10 Sven Neumann

* plug-ins/common/gz.c (load_image): don't call gimp_temp_name() with (NULL + 1) if find_extension() failed.

--tml

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

To Post a message, send it to: gimpwin-dev@eGroups.com To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: gimpwin-dev-unsubscribe@eGroups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Sven Neumann
2003-01-15 11:48:25 UTC (over 21 years ago)

New GIMP build available

Hi,

"Kevin Myers" writes:

I wish that I'd have know that you were gonna jump right on this so quickly. I have one more fix related to high aspect ratio images that I would have liked to get in. Unfortunately, I got sidetracked on something else, and didn't get bugzilla updated with a new bug entry or my patch yet. Fortunately, this is a relatively minor issue. :-)

your patch is in Bugzilla and I will apply it as soon as I find some time to test the new behaviour.

Let's hope that Tor will find the time to do a new win32 build if we finally come around to do the official 1.2.4 source release. I'd also welcome if we could get such an announcement mail (the one Tor sent to gimpwin-dev) next time on gimp-developer as well. Most of the people who deal with bugzilla seem to be subscribed here and this information is vital for them.

I don't know how much traffic gimpwin-dev creates nowadays. Since discussion about gtk+ development should happen on gtk-devel now that win32 is an officially supported platform, perhaps we could merge gimpwin-dev with gimp-developer. It seems wrong to me to have two distinct mailing-lists that deal with gimp development.

Salut, Sven

Tor Lillqvist
2003-01-15 22:46:52 UTC (over 21 years ago)

New GIMP build available

Sven Neumann writes:
> Let's hope that Tor will find the time to do a new win32 build if we > finally come around to do the official 1.2.4 source release.

Sure. I'll do it ASAP after that.

> I'd also welcome if we could get such an announcement mail (the one > Tor sent to gimpwin-dev) next time on gimp-developer as well.

OK, I'll CC gimp-developer next time I announce a build.

> I don't know how much traffic gimpwin-dev creates nowadays.

Seems to have been between 40 and 130 messages per month last year (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gimpwin-dev/).

> Since discussion about gtk+ development should happen on gtk-devel > now that win32 is an officially supported platform, perhaps we > could merge gimpwin-dev with gimp-developer. It seems wrong to me > to have two distinct mailing-lists that deal with gimp development.

Yes, why not. Or maybe gimpwin-dev could be terminated altogether, and the members advised to subscribe to one or several of gimp-developer, gtk-list, gtk-app-devel-list and gtk-devel-list.

--tml

Sven Neumann
2003-01-15 23:04:44 UTC (over 21 years ago)

New GIMP build available

Hi,

Tor Lillqvist writes:

Yes, why not. Or maybe gimpwin-dev could be terminated altogether, and the members advised to subscribe to one or several of gimp-developer, gtk-list, gtk-app-devel-list and gtk-devel-list.

since I hate the idea of subscribing people to a mailing-list w/o asking them, that's exactly what I am proposing.

Salut, Sven

Arnaud Charlet
2003-01-16 10:28:29 UTC (over 21 years ago)

New GIMP build available

Sounds very reasonable to me. It is indeed somewhat strange for people only interested in Gtk+ to read about Gimp issues, and same thing the other way around I guess :-)

Arno

Sven Neumann
2003-01-27 17:21:20 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi,

what is the status of the mailing-list merge we discussed two weeks ago? I had the impression that were was overall aggreement that gimpwin-dev@yahoogroups.com should die and people should be asked to subsribe to gimp-developer and/or gtk-devel lists instead. Has this happened or will this happen in the near future?

Since I'm not subscribed to gimpwin-dev, could Tor perhaps forward this to the yahoogroups mailing list?!

Salut, Sven

Tor Lillqvist
2003-01-27 19:58:00 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Sven Neumann writes:
> I had the impression that were was overall aggreement that > gimpwin-dev@yahoogroups.com should die and people should be asked to > subsribe to gimp-developer and/or gtk-devel lists instead.

Yes, there wasn't much opposition. I haven't done anything about it yet, though. It will happen in the near future.

> Since I'm not subscribed to gimpwin-dev, could Tor perhaps forward > this to the yahoogroups mailing list?!

OK.

--tml

To Post a message, send it to: gimpwin-dev@eGroups.com To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: gimpwin-dev-unsubscribe@eGroups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/