RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Hello newbie to the GNU/Linux/Open Source world.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Hello newbie to the GNU/Linux/Open Source world. David Weeks 28 Nov 07:24
  Hello newbie to the GNU/Linux/Open Source world. Raphaël Quinet 28 Nov 11:00
   Hello newbie to the GNU/Linux/Open Source world. David Neary 28 Nov 11:28
  Hello newbie to the GNU/Linux/Open Source world. Christopher W. Curtis 30 Nov 01:23
David Weeks
2002-11-28 07:24:24 UTC (over 21 years ago)

I live in Florida. Tampa specifically, which is a great city, even if I do live here. And know what is perpetually annoying? Yankees coming down talking about how they do it up North.

For those of recent (that being within the last couple of years) arrival to the world of GNU/Linux/Open Source, live here a while before you go telling us how you did it back home.

Welcome to GNU/Linux/Open Source computing.

The reason why (and I remember being a newbee, thinking guys like who I am now are just arrogant assholes, stuck in the past) we do things in *nix the way we do is because it works. I has worked for a long time, and being that it works, why make changes for constantly changing dialect, or drop well founded methods cause newbees find them too hard?

These things are not hard, they are just the essential requirements of a reliable system. From OS to application. From file systems to network services. This stuff is older than many of the "developers" pretending to develop.

And as for the importance of gimp to the GNU/Linux community, consider the standard it has set among the community, as referenced by other GNU/Linux projects. For instance:

"Glame 0.6.4, the supposed-to-be last release in the 0.6 series, was released today, Fri 22 Nov 2002, to the public. Leaked with this release were some rare but still major bugfixes such as corruption problems on import and redrawing problems within the filter canvas. The most prominent new feature of this release is the added Italian localization. GLAME is targeted to be the GIMP for audio processing. Currently we support non destructive multitrack editing, undo, redo, cut&paste and even realtime effects with OSS/ALSA. Import/Export WAV, AIFF, SND, IRCAM file formats."

gimp is more than a graphics program, and newbees show themselves green when they haven't a clue about that or anything Unix. Understand AND appreciate the dispostion of those who came before you, and those who will be here after you've long gone. You'd damn well better learn Unix, or get lost. With no apologies. Don't let /dev/null smack you on the way out.

For those of you who are NOT so stupid as to discount thirty years of IT development by the best talent to ever exist, understand your code lives in Unix/Linux, so coding is more than the ANSI standard -- it's the shell environment (go BASH!), and Unix tool conventions.

And why YES! Regular expressions are a CORE competency.

My apologies to those who are right now saying: "Duh?" But from what I've been reading on this list, a teacher's corrections are in order.

David Weeks

Raphaël Quinet
2002-11-28 11:00:54 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 01:24:24 -0500, David Weeks wrote:

I live in Florida. Tampa specifically, which is a great city, even if I do live here. And know what is perpetually annoying? Yankees coming down talking about how they do it up North.

I live in Belgium. Liège specifically, which is a great city as well. I am French-speaking but I work in Germany (in English) for a Swedish company. And you know what is perpetually annoying? Guys who think they know everything but apparently ignore what tolerance and openness mean. Guys who are not open to other points of view. Guys who have very important rants to write and cannot afford to spend five minutes or their precious time trying to understand others. Guys who flame others for no reason.

For those of recent (that being within the last couple of years) arrival to the world of GNU/Linux/Open Source, live here a while before you go telling us how you did it back home.

I arrived to the wonderful world of Linux a couple of months after Linux was announced in comp.os.minix. Before that, I had already a couple of years of experience with Free Software (gcc, emacs, ...) on various *nix platforms (Ultrix, SunOS, HP-UX, ...). The best thing about Free Software (and more recently, Open Source) is that it was (and still is) a welcoming community. I remember the cooperative attitude of those who accepted (or rejected) my first patches or my first questions to some GNU programs or to the X11 system. In some cases, they told me that I was wrong, but usually by telling me why and suggesting alternatives. Of course, there are always some holier-than-thou individuals on some mailing lists and newsgroups who will give a bad image to the whole community, but it does not take long to identify them and ignore them.

Welcome to GNU/Linux/Open Source computing.

Yours seems to be a very small and restrictive world. Fortunately, this is not the world that I am living in. I am glad to work on Free and Open Source software. I am glad that it works for Windows, MacOS X, Solaris, IRIX, *BSD and other systems such as Linux. I am glad that the software is there to serve the needs of many users regardless of their culture, opinions, level of experience or choice of operating system(s). I am glad that some developers who have worked hard and enhanced some *nix program are also trying to port it to Windows or MacOS X so that more users can benefit from it.

The reason why (and I remember being a newbee, thinking guys like who I am now are just arrogant assholes, stuck in the past) we do things in *nix the way we do is because it works. I has worked for a long time, and being that it works, why make changes for constantly changing dialect, or drop well founded methods cause newbees find them too hard?

Sometimes I am a *nix bigot or a Free Software bigot. I enjoy showing others how some of their problems can be solved easily by using an appropriate Free Software tool or a *nix operating system. But I also accept the fact that there are other solutions out there, and I try to understand what is good or bad about them instead of rejecting them immediately. If someone proposes to change something and add or drop some feature, then I try to understand their reasons instead of telling them immediately that they are wrong. I also try to understand who they are before calling them "newbies".

[...]

My apologies to those who are right now saying: "Duh?" But from what I've been reading on this list, a teacher's corrections are in order.

Any self-respecting teacher will make sure that he knows what he is talking about before starting his lesson.

Note: I sent this message to the list. If you want to comment on it, feel free to do so publicly or via private e-mail. However, any further replies from me on the same topic will be sent by private e-mail only because I do not think that a long discussion about this is appropriate for this list.

Best regards, -Raphaël

David Neary
2002-11-28 11:28:16 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Raphaël Quinet wrote:

you know what is perpetually annoying? Guys who think they know everything but apparently ignore what tolerance and openness mean. Guys who are not open to other points of view. Guys who have very important rants to write and cannot afford to spend five minutes or their precious time trying to understand others. Guys who flame others for no reason.

At some stage, you really have to stop feeding the troll. He will go away at some stage. Or, he might start fixing bugs... the list of openm bugs for 1.2.4 is available at http://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?product=GIMP&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=NEEDINFO&bug_status=REOPENED&target_milestone=1.2.4

There are 27 in all, with 1 blocker and at least 2 or 3 documentation bugs that would be easily fixable.

Cheers, Dave.

Christopher W. Curtis
2002-11-30 01:23:26 UTC (over 21 years ago)

[Mmm, tasty troll fodder]

On 11/28/02 01:24, David Weeks wrote:

I live in Florida, about opposite Tampa, not so specifically, I was born and raised in Maine, which I presume makes me a 'Yank'. You know what? I'm adding this rant to my growing corpus of evidence that prolonged exposure to intense sunlight drives people insane.

Chris