RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

linux-graphics-dev

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

linux-graphics-dev Juhana Sadeharju 31 Oct 20:30
  linux-graphics-dev Nick Lamb 01 Nov 06:11
   linux-graphics-dev Steinar H. Gunderson 01 Nov 07:37
    linux-graphics-dev Tor Lillqvist 02 Nov 07:28
     linux-graphics-dev Steinar H. Gunderson 02 Nov 10:48
Juhana Sadeharju
2002-10-31 20:30:57 UTC (over 21 years ago)

linux-graphics-dev

Announce:

I'm pleased to announce a new mailing list: linux-graphics-dev at "http://music.columbia.edu/mailman/listinfo/linux-graphics-dev". It is a get-together list for open source, free graphics software developers working in Linux.

The mailing list is convenietly also available in digested format for those who cannot tolerate individual mails from yet another mailing list and for those who are not exactly Linux developers.

Possible topics include: -Making people aware of existing software -What software are yet needed
-How projects may benefit from other projects -Are there a need for Linux graphics standards -Guiding new developers to find a project which they can help -What projects would have a need for developers -The Big Picture
The discussion may well be quite technical.

linux-graphics-dev is a companion list for linux-audio-dev which has been successfully around for a few years.

Best regards,

Juhana

Nick Lamb
2002-11-01 06:11:42 UTC (over 21 years ago)

linux-graphics-dev

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 09:30:57PM +0200, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

Possible topics include:
-Are there a need for Linux graphics standards

Standards which are arguably needed, off the top of my head:

* TWAIN-like aquisition standard (not SANE) [How should my webcam software work with GIMP and kIllustrator ?]

* Image formats for X clipboard [User hits 'Edit/Cut' in Gimp and then 'Edit/Paste' in kWord]

* Image codecs (one simple API, dyn loaded, no fancy features) [GIMP has fancy hand-rolled stuff, but not everyone needs that]

* interop with Freedesktop icon standard [My hard disk is full of tiny images, all alike]

Nick.

Steinar H. Gunderson
2002-11-01 07:37:19 UTC (over 21 years ago)

linux-graphics-dev

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 05:11:42AM +0000, Nick Lamb wrote:

* Image formats for X clipboard
[User hits 'Edit/Cut' in Gimp and then 'Edit/Paste' in kWord]

Does GIMP use the X clipboard at all, BTW? I think the Windows version uses its internal clipboard, at least (which is quite annoying :-) ).

/* Steinar */

Tor Lillqvist
2002-11-02 07:28:11 UTC (over 21 years ago)

linux-graphics-dev

Steinar H. Gunderson writes:
> Does GIMP use the X clipboard at all, BTW? I think the Windows version uses > its internal clipboard, at least (which is quite annoying :-)

For text or images? Annoying that it does, or doesn't? It uses the Windows clipboard for text when you use the normal Control-C, V and X keys. Would you prefer it not to?

Images have to be copied to/from the clipboard using the Edit:Copy to Clipboard and Paste from Clipboard menu entries. (Which you can of course bind to keyboard shotcuts if you like.)

--tml

Steinar H. Gunderson
2002-11-02 10:48:37 UTC (over 21 years ago)

linux-graphics-dev

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 06:28:11AM +0000, Tor Lillqvist wrote:

Does GIMP use the X clipboard at all, BTW? I think the Windows version uses its internal clipboard, at least (which is quite annoying :-)

For text or images? Annoying that it does, or doesn't? It uses the Windows clipboard for text when you use the normal Control-C, V and X keys. Would you prefer it not to?

For images. It's very annoying at times that it doesn't... (The problem is a lot bigger under Windows than on Linux, since I don't normally cut-and-paste image data into other programs on Linux.)

Images have to be copied to/from the clipboard using the Edit:Copy to Clipboard and Paste from Clipboard menu entries. (Which you can of course bind to keyboard shotcuts if you like.)

Hmm, very useful. Thanks. I was only aware of the "Import -> From clipboard" menu entry. :-)

/* Steinar */