RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Layer Sets

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Layer Sets Erin Tomson 14 Jun 01:41
  Layer Sets Sven Neumann 14 Jun 01:50
  Layer Sets Nathan Carl Summers 14 Jun 03:15
Erin Tomson
2002-06-14 01:41:23 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Layer Sets

Unless I'm mistaken, gimp doesn't have any support for layer sets or folders. Other programs, such as photoshop, allow you to group layers. The layers inside the group will first be merged. Then the result will then be merged with the remaining layers.

Are there any plans to add support for something like this? Alternatively would it be possible to implement this as a plug-in, or would such a change be too fundamental?

I'm writing some software that depends on this feature in photoshop. It would be great if we could use the gimp as well.

Thanks for any information or suggestions. Please respond directly to me, since I'm not currently subscribed to this list.

-Erin

Sven Neumann
2002-06-14 01:50:40 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Layer Sets

Hi,

Erin Tomson writes:

Unless I'm mistaken, gimp doesn't have any support for layer sets or folders. Other programs, such as photoshop, allow you to group layers. The layers inside the group will first be merged. Then the result will then be merged with the remaining layers.

Are there any plans to add support for something like this?

this is planned but since noone started to hack on it until now I doubt it will make it into GIMP-1.4.

Alternatively would it be possible to implement this as a plug-in, or would such a change be too fundamental?

I don't think it could completely be implemented as a plug-in. Depending on what you need exactly it might be possible to implement these features as a plug-in. At least for visual feedback in the layers dialog the core would have to be touched however.

Salut, Sven

Nathan Carl Summers
2002-06-14 03:15:31 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Layer Sets

On 13 Jun 2002, Erin Tomson wrote:

Are there any plans to add support for something like this?

Something like this is planned for gimp 2.0.

Alternatively would it be possible to implement this as a plug-in, or would such a change be too fundamental?

There is certainly no clean way to do this. I'll stop slightly short of saying that it is impossible, since bigger kludges have been done with the plugin system, but it would involve lots of nastiness. For instance, if you wanted to show what the composited image currently looks like, you would probably have to copy all of gimp's compositing code and rework it significantly to make it work in pluginspace. And it wouldn't show up in the layers and channels dialog, etc. Sheer ugliness.

I'm writing some software that depends on this feature in photoshop. It would be great if we could use the gimp as well.

Of course, patches are always welcome. ;)

Thanks for any information or suggestions. Please respond directly to me, since I'm not currently subscribed to this list.

Probably your best bet is to check out the gegl module from cvs -- it contains what will likely be the backbone of gimp 2.0, and might meet your needs.

Rockwalrus