RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Large canvas segfaults...

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Paint Shop Pro GUI elements... Maurits Rijk 06 May 21:18
  Paint Shop Pro GUI elements... Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero 06 May 22:41
Large canvas segfaults... Avi Bercovich 07 May 17:25
  Large canvas segfaults... Sven Neumann 07 May 17:39
Maurits Rijk
2002-05-06 21:18:05 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Paint Shop Pro GUI elements...

Today I have been toying a little bit with Paint Shop Pro (I think it was version 7.x) and there were a couple of things I liked:

1) For entering an angle, for example to specify a direction, they use a dedicated widget: kind of a full circle with a line pointing from the center to the selected direction, a bit like the Dial widget that comes with the GTK examples. I like this because for a lot of (non mathematically educated) people this is much more intuitive than entering a number between 0 and 360.

2) For entering a numerical value they use a kind of spinbutton with an arrow down button to the right of it. When you click on the arrow down button a horizontal slider is popped up which allows you to quickly set the value. Underneath this all is a thin kind of progress bar which gives visual feedback on the value you have entered, for example when entering 5 in a range between 0 and 10 you see a thin blue line covering 1/2 of the progress bar. Main advantage is that this widget uses much less screenspace than the combination GIMP is using (slider and a spinbutton to the right of that slider).

3) Their plugin to create imagemaps isn't half as advanced as my Imagemap plug-in :)

Ok, what do people here think of point 1) and 2)?

Maurits

Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero
2002-05-06 22:41:41 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Paint Shop Pro GUI elements...

lpeek.mrijk@consunet.nl (2002-05-06 at 2118.05 +0200):

1) For entering an angle, for example to specify a direction, they use a dedicated widget: kind of a full circle with a line pointing from the center to the selected direction, a bit like the Dial widget that comes with the GTK examples. I like this because for a lot of (non mathematically educated) people this is much more intuitive than entering a number between 0 and 360.

It should include a numeric input somewhere too, maybe in the middle, like some mechanical indicators that have both, an analog clock and a digital clock (the one based in wheels with 0-9) all in one. So you can move the arrow or type numbers, and the other updates following as you change.

GSR

Avi Bercovich
2002-05-07 17:25:09 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Hello everybody,

Is anybody else experiencing repeatable/predictable segfaults when working with large canvasses? Large in this case is 150dpi, 4200x1700 pixels in RGB?

Segfaults appear upon saving to any format after doing a canvas rotation or a crop.

Is this a bug or a GIMP internal implementation thing, that will be looked at when the GIMP internals get reengineerd?

grts,

avi

Sven Neumann
2002-05-07 17:39:24 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Hi,

Avi Bercovich writes:

Is anybody else experiencing repeatable/predictable segfaults when working with large canvasses? Large in this case is 150dpi, 4200x1700 pixels in RGB?

Segfaults appear upon saving to any format after doing a canvas rotation or a crop.

you should file a bug-report for this phenomen to make sure that someone has a look. Please include detailed system information (library versions etc.) and detailed instructions on how to reproduce to problem. If possible please also include a stack trace. You should be able to generate one by starting gimp using the '--enable-stack-trace always' command-line option. Also watch for console output.

Salut, Sven