RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

blocking fonts enumeration

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

blocking fonts enumeration 1980_underground@insiberia.net 29 Jun 23:35
  blocking fonts enumeration Liam R E Quin 30 Jun 00:24
   blocking fonts enumeration Ofnuts 01 Jul 21:05
   blocking fonts enumeration 1980_underground@insiberia.net 14 Jul 12:05
    blocking fonts enumeration Liam R E Quin 15 Jul 04:49
     blocking fonts enumeration 1980_underground@insiberia.net 15 Jul 12:20
      blocking fonts enumeration 1980_underground@insiberia.net 15 Jul 12:31
      blocking fonts enumeration Liam R E Quin 15 Jul 16:32
       blocking fonts enumeration 1980_underground@insiberia.net 15 Jul 22:24
        blocking fonts enumeration Liam R E Quin 16 Jul 06:24
1980_underground@insiberia.net
2018-06-29 23:35:19 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Hi everyone, this is my first post to this list.

I've hunted all over the internet, but can't find any way to do what I need.

My question is, is there a way to prevent GIMP from reading system fonts, and to only read fonts from it's own folder?

Explanation:

I do a lot of flyer work that involves fonts. I have dozens if not hundreds of fonts installed for this.

I use an obscure plugin called GIMP Font Manager by Sean Bogie (modifed by MareroQ) to manage them, and it works great.

My problem is that no matter what options I use in the Font Manager, system fonts are *always* shown. I've tried deleting the bulk of them that aren't needed for system display, but even after that enough of them are persistent that it makes my font tab overrun with irrelevant fonts.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge!

Liam R E Quin
2018-06-30 00:24:44 UTC (over 5 years ago)

On Fri, 2018-06-29 at 23:35 +0000, 1980_underground@insiberia.net wrote:

My question is, is there a way to prevent GIMP from reading system fonts, and to only read fonts from it's own folder?

Which Linux distribution are you using? Or, what operating system? Which GIMP version exactly?

My problem is that no matter what options I use in the Font Manager, system fonts are *always* shown.

On Linux at least you can a fonts.conf file in your gimp data dir or fonts folder that excludes specific fonts. This probably also works on MacOS and Windows but i don't know for sure.

In other words exactly how best to do this may depend on your operating system and in some cases, where you downloaded gimp from (i.e. which exact build).

slave ankh / Liam

Liam Quin - web slave for https://www.fromoldbooks.org/
with fabulous vintage art and fascinating texts to read.
Click here to have the slave chained up overnight.
Ofnuts
2018-07-01 21:05:17 UTC (over 5 years ago)

On 06/30/18 02:24, Liam R E Quin wrote:

Which Linux distribution are you using? Or, what operating system? Which GIMP version exactly?

My problem is that no matter what options I use in the Font Manager, system fonts are *always* shown.

On Linux at least you can a fonts.conf file in your gimp data dir or fonts folder that excludes specific fonts. This probably also works on MacOS and Windows but i don't know for sure.

In other words exactly how best to do this may depend on your operating system and in some cases, where you downloaded gimp from (i.e. which exact build).

AFAIK the font.conf also works on Windows, but its exact location eludes me.

2018-07-14 12:05:12 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Thanks for this!

The Linux in question is Debian.

Your solution sounds painstaking but functional.

Can I get a link to an appropriate example of a fonts.conf that does this? I understand it needs to be tailored to my specific system's fonts. I just need to know the syntax.

Thanks again!

On 2018-06-30 00:24, Liam R E Quin wrote:

slave ankh / Liam

Liam R E Quin
2018-07-15 04:49:48 UTC (over 5 years ago)

On Sat, 2018-07-14 at 12:05 +0000, 1980_underground@insiberia.net wrote:

Thanks for this!

Can I get a link to an appropriate example of a fonts.conf that does this?

This will get rid of Helvetica:

Helvetica

You might also be able to do it based on the directory containing the font file, i'm not sure.

Liam (slave ankh)

Click here to have the slave beaten.
2018-07-15 12:20:44 UTC (over 5 years ago)

This is enormously helpful. Thanks so much. I never knew about global fonts.conf settings for fontconfig, and apparently like many things GIMP observes and prioritizes separate configs in its local folder. Studying fontconfig XML properties, I came up with:

/usr/share/fonts/*

Which successfully prevents GIMP from loading system fonts.

Great!

However, this somehow prevents fonts installed in the GIMP folder from loading as well. In other words, all the custom fonts are useless.

I therefore tried to do:

/usr/share/fonts/*

/home/exampleuser/.gimp-2.8/fonts/*

For some reason, this negated the rejectfont attribute entirely and all system fonts reappeared as if there were no fonts.conf file in the GIMP directory at all, as before.

Thoughts?

On 2018-07-15 04:49, Liam R E Quin wrote:

Thanks for this!

Helvetica

You might also be able to do it based on the directory containing the font file, i'm not sure.

Liam (slave ankh)

2018-07-15 12:31:04 UTC (over 5 years ago)

I also played around with entering different file paths under the acceptfont property and the results were the same. It appears that having any acceptfont attribute at all negates the rejectfont property alltogether.

On 2018-07-15 12:20, 1980_underground@insiberia.net wrote:

This is enormously helpful. Thanks so much. I never knew about global fonts.conf settings for fontconfig, and apparently like many things GIMP observes and prioritizes separate configs in its local folder. Studying fontconfig XML properties, I came up with:

/usr/share/fonts/*

Which successfully prevents GIMP from loading system fonts.

Great!

However, this somehow prevents fonts installed in the GIMP folder from loading as well. In other words, all the custom fonts are useless.

I therefore tried to do:

/usr/share/fonts/*

/home/exampleuser/.gimp-2.8/fonts/*

For some reason, this negated the rejectfont attribute entirely and all system fonts reappeared as if there were no fonts.conf file in the GIMP directory at all, as before.

Thoughts?

On 2018-07-15 04:49, Liam R E Quin wrote:

Thanks for this!

Helvetica

Liam (slave ankh)

Liam R E Quin
2018-07-15 16:32:57 UTC (over 5 years ago)

On Sun, 2018-07-15 at 12:20 +0000, 1980_underground@insiberia.net wrote:

I therefore tried to do:

You need two separate selectfont sections, one after the other. Also look for messages on the console when gimp starts (start gimp from the commandline in a terminal)

An error in fonts.conf can break lots of stuff.

Liam

2018-07-15 22:24:29 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Hm. I don't think I needed . I was just getting the element wrong.

Here's what works on my current system:

/usr/share/fonts/*

This empties all fonts except the ones in GIMP's own folder.

An odd thing is that even with using font manager, when a font is selected through it and subsequently displayed in the fonts tab, it automatically adds defaults like "Monospace Italic" and Sans Bold Italic". This isn't a big deal, but any ideas on how to block those as well?

I'm super happy about all this, thanks.

Oh, and here's where I got the correct glob element from:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/font_configuration#Whitelisting_and_blacklisting_fonts

On 2018-07-15 16:32, Liam R E Quin wrote:

On Sun, 2018-07-15 at 12:20 +0000, 1980_underground@insiberia.net wrote:

I therefore tried to do:

You need two separate selectfont sections, one after the other. Also look for messages on the console when gimp starts (start gimp from the commandline in a terminal)

An error in fonts.conf can break lots of stuff.

Liam

Liam R E Quin
2018-07-16 06:24:33 UTC (over 5 years ago)

On Sun, 2018-07-15 at 22:24 +0000, 1980_underground@insiberia.net wrote:

An odd thing is that even with using font manager, when a font is selected through it and subsequently displayed in the fonts tab, it automatically adds defaults like "Monospace Italic" and Sans Bold Italic". This isn't a big deal, but any ideas on how to block those as well?

i don't think you can.

I'm super happy about all this, thanks.

i'm glad it worked out.

Thanks to the link to the archlinux wiki ;age.

slave ankh