RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Layer new options

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Layer new options Julien Hardelin 17 Sep 13:01
  Layer new options Ell via gimp-docs-list 27 Nov 18:54
Julien Hardelin
2017-09-17 13:01:27 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Layer new options

Hi all,

I have an image with 2 layers and a background. In the context menu, the default Layer Composite Mode seems to be Auto. If I click on the other composite mode options, nothing happens. The same thing with Blend and Composite spaces.

Are these options active? Is there anything else to do to active them?

Julien

Ell via gimp-docs-list
2017-11-27 18:54:14 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Layer new options

Hi all,

I have an image with 2 layers and a background. In the context menu, the default Layer Composite Mode seems to be Auto. If I click on the other composite mode options, nothing happens. The same thing with Blend and Composite spaces.

Are these options active? Is there anything else to do to active them?

Yes, they're all active, but their effect is highly dependent on the actual layer content, so in some cases they may appear to do nothing.

We should definitely do a better job at explaining the function of the new options, I know it's hard to write documentation for them right now (not to mention that we have a general intention to tweak their UI,) but the very short version is:

- The composite mode controls which regions are preserved during alpha compositing (as per the layers' alpha values): regions belonging to the bottom layer (or, more precisely, the backdrop -- the combination of all the layers below the current one), the top layer, either of them (i.e., their union), or both of them (i.e., their intersection).

- The composite space controls the color space in which alpha compositing is performed (i.e., in which the colors are combined according to the alpha values).

- The blend space controls the color space in which the colors are blended, as per the layer mode (e.g., the space in which the colors are added when using "Addition" mode).

Sorry for the late reply :)

-- Ell