RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Fade length setting for paint dynamics

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Fade length setting for paint dynamics Ofnuts 02 Oct 12:51
  Fade length setting for paint dynamics Joao S. O. Bueno 06 Oct 17:35
   Fade length setting for paint dynamics Ofnuts 07 Oct 11:37
    Fade length setting for paint dynamics Jon Tait 08 Oct 12:05
     Fade length setting for paint dynamics Ofnuts 08 Oct 20:09
Ofnuts
2015-10-02 12:51:00 UTC (over 8 years ago)

I see that some changes have occured in that area in 2.8.14... However:

* I can't figure out the "percent" setting. Percent of what? From what I tried, it is not a percent of the total path length, not a percent of the stroke length, and not a percent of some image dimension. * is there a way to set it programmatically? searching "fade", "context" or "dynamics" in the procedure browser doesn't show anything (not does looking at dir(gimp) in Python).

Joao S. O. Bueno
2015-10-06 17:35:00 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Sttting it programatically is likely a missing feature - it shouldbe available as gimp-context-fade-set-length -- and yes, it has nothing to do with percents

On 2 October 2015 at 09:51, Ofnuts wrote:

I see that some changes have occured in that area in 2.8.14... However:

* I can't figure out the "percent" setting. Percent of what? From what I tried, it is not a percent of the total path length, not a percent of the stroke length, and not a percent of some image dimension. * is there a way to set it programmatically? searching "fade", "context" or "dynamics" in the procedure browser doesn't show anything (not does looking at dir(gimp) in Python).

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Ofnuts
2015-10-07 11:37:37 UTC (over 8 years ago)

On 06/10/15 19:35, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

Sttting it programatically is likely a missing feature - it shouldbe available as gimp-context-fade-set-length -- and yes, it has nothing to do with percents

Should I file a bug report for this?

What should be done with the percent "unit" then? Remove it?

Jon Tait
2015-10-08 12:05:04 UTC (over 8 years ago)

1. The "percent" setting is relative to maximal image dimension (ie. image width or height, whichever is larger). Ref:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/tree/app/paint/gimppaintoptions.c?h=gimp-2-8#n591 And as far as I can see it *does* work as intended - eg. Paintbrush Tool with Dynamics=Fade Tapering, Fade length=100% will fade in/out over a *stroke* length equal to the larger of image width and height. And pro rata for other values of "percent". [But note that it is the maximal *image* dimension, not *drawable* dimension.]

2. No it cannot currently be set programmatically. The fade parameters are *dynamic options* (ie. specific to the fade dynamic), not common *paint options* (ie. applicable to all paint tools regardless of dynamics). And setting dynamic options is AFAIK not currently supported via PDB. IIRC this problem has been noted before but I cannot find anything on bugzilla about it now. Note this is a wider problem than just fade length, it requires a generalized method of getting/setting *all* dynamic options.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 12:37 PM, Ofnuts wrote:

On 06/10/15 19:35, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

Should I file a bug report for this?

What should be done with the percent "unit" then? Remove it?

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership:
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Ofnuts
2015-10-08 20:09:09 UTC (over 8 years ago)

On 08/10/15 14:05, Jon Tait wrote:

1. The "percent" setting is relative to maximal image dimension (ie. image width or height, whichever is larger). Ref:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/tree/app/paint/gimppaintoptions.c?h=gimp-2-8#n591 And as far as I can see it *does* work as intended - eg. Paintbrush Tool with Dynamics=Fade Tapering, Fade length=100% will fade in/out over a *stroke* length equal to the larger of image width and height. And pro rata for other values of "percent". [But note that it is the maximal *image* dimension, not *drawable* dimension.]

I tried that and it didn't seem to work.

2. No it cannot currently be set programmatically. The fade parameters are *dynamic options* (ie. specific to the fade dynamic), not common *paint options* (ie. applicable to all paint tools regardless of dynamics). And setting dynamic options is AFAIK not currently supported via PDB. IIRC this problem has been noted before but I cannot find anything on bugzilla about it now. Note this is a wider problem than just fade length, it requires a generalized method of getting/setting *all* dynamic options.

Dynamics take their other values from the general context For instance the varying "color" in the Dynamics uses the context gradient, the brush size is the context brush size, etc... And if I change a dynamics-related setting (fo instance, the "repeat") for one tool (brush), the value changes for other tools (airbrush, clone...).