RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

do you need new operations ?

This discussion is connected to the gegl-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

319211286.689542262.1432621... 26 May 07:28
  do you need new operations ? thomas.manni@free.fr 26 May 07:28
   do you need new operations ? Alexandre Prokoudine 26 May 08:50
    do you need new operations ? Øyvind Kolås 26 May 13:46
thomas.manni@free.fr
2015-05-26 07:28:27 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Hi,
I have written some operations for my own use into gimp. Let me know if you are interested by some of them, I will write tests and push to master.

* median-blur (quite fast, histogram based computation of individual RGB channels, using a "zigzag" sliding window)

* component-extract (extract a component from RGB, HSV, HSL, CMYK, YCbCr or LAB color spaces, very useful in a mask production workflow)

* lab-levels (like the current levels op, but in LAB color space)

* shadows-highlights (lighten shadows and darken highlights)

* waveform (produce a luminance waveform scope, RGB parade will come soon)

* color-clip (clamp pixels values into 0.0 - 1.0 range)

Thomas Manni

Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-05-26 08:50:33 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 10:28 AM, wrote:

Hi,
I have written some operations for my own use into gimp. Let me know if you are interested by some of them, I will write tests and push to master.

* median-blur (quite fast, histogram based computation of individual RGB channels, using a "zigzag" sliding window)

Could be useful

* component-extract (extract a component from RGB, HSV, HSL, CMYK, YCbCr or LAB color spaces, very useful in a mask production workflow)

Very useful

Unsure, maybe there should be a common approach to using level, curves etc. an arbitrary color spaces instead.

* shadows-highlights (lighten shadows and darken highlights)

Absolutely a must

* waveform (produce a luminance waveform scope, RGB parade will come soon)

Could be very useful, if anyone adopts GEGL for video production

* color-clip (clamp pixels values into 0.0 - 1.0 range)

Could be useful

Alex

Øyvind Kolås
2015-05-26 13:46:07 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 10:50 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 10:28 AM, wrote:

Hi,

For ops that you are uncertain about the general usefulness or completeness of, you could just push them to the workshop folder, which isn't built and installed by default, makes sense. That way people using GEGL from git are able to easily test and asses the ops in GIMP or other GEGL using software, and if they are deemed useful making them official is easy.

Unsure, maybe there should be a common approach to using level, curves etc. an arbitrary color spaces instead.

I'd stick this one in the workshop for now, possibly both approaches are valid. Common approaches for doing decompose, process, recompose might not even be a GEGL level of abstraction thing, but belonging in UI or logic of programs or frameworks built on top of GEGL. It might even be that doing physics based vs perceptual levels can be considered distinct operations; each having a *single* preferred pixel format/color space.

/Øyvind K.