RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

OT: experimenting with docbook-xml

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

OT: experimenting with docbook-xml Marco Ciampa 21 Sep 01:18
  OT: experimenting with docbook-xml Roman Joost 22 Sep 02:20
   OT: experimenting with docbook-xml Marco Ciampa 22 Sep 10:28
  OT: experimenting with docbook-xml Ulf-D. Ehlert 22 Sep 17:58
   OT: experimenting with docbook-xml Marco Ciampa 22 Sep 20:05
Marco Ciampa
2014-09-21 01:18:14 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Since I want to understand a bit more about the gimp build sistem I am trying to do the things by hand.

I do not know automake/autotool so I do not really know how html, for instance, files are created.

I copied all xml dir outside gimp tree dir and tried to build html by hand and failed miserably.

I do not know docbook-xml either and I now know I was a bit "naive" thinking that a mere

docbook2html it/gimp.xml

will suffice.

Can anyone help me understand? What I am missing?

Thanks!

Marco Ciampa

I know a joke about UDP, but you might not get it.

+--------------------+
| Linux User  #78271 |
| FSFE fellow   #364 |
+--------------------+
Roman Joost
2014-09-22 02:20:23 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Dear Marco,

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 03:18:14AM +0200, Marco Ciampa wrote:

Since I want to understand a bit more about the gimp build sistem I am trying to do the things by hand.

I do not know automake/autotool so I do not really know how html, for instance, files are created.

I copied all xml dir outside gimp tree dir and tried to build html by hand and failed miserably.

I do not know docbook-xml either and I now know I was a bit "naive" thinking that a mere

docbook2html it/gimp.xml

will suffice.

It's just a matter of tooling. I'm not sure what the outcome of your docbook2html attempt was, but I assume it was negative.

We chose to split up our manual into separate files according to the help ID GIMP uses. Each file is tied into the manual with include statements (xi:includes) to make up the book.

Furthermore, translations are separated into separate files. You'll need to basically compile a translated version of the manual in order to generate a translated HTML version out of it.

Potentially your tool will work. Look for --xinclude parameters in order to build the manual. You'll have to find a way though, to create new *translated* docbook files if you want anything else than English.

Feel free to ask more questions if you want.

Roman Joost
www: http://www.romanofski.de
email: romanofski@gimp.org
Marco Ciampa
2014-09-22 10:28:51 UTC (over 9 years ago)

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 12:20:23PM +1000, Roman Joost wrote:

Dear Marco,

docbook2html it/gimp.xml

will suffice.

It's just a matter of tooling. I'm not sure what the outcome of your docbook2html attempt was, but I assume it was negative.

yes because it does not include anything

We chose to split up our manual into separate files according to the help ID GIMP uses. Each file is tied into the manual with include statements (xi:includes) to make up the book.

yes I knew this, the question is: why the command do not recognize the include command?

Furthermore, translations are separated into separate files. You'll need to basically compile a translated version of the manual in order to generate a translated HTML version out of it.

yes, this too, but I want to make a step at a time... and recreate a GIMP build script from scratch just to understand better how the things works, without all that automake/autoconf confusing (for me) matter...

Potentially your tool will work. Look for --xinclude parameters in order to build the manual. You'll have to find a way though, to create new *translated* docbook files if you want anything else than English.

there are no --xinclude parameters in docbook2html command. I am not even sure if it is really this the command that gimp makefiles trigger.

Sorry I am not able to "read" make/automake scripts and this is my first problem...

Feel free to ask more questions if you want.

I do not want to boring you with trivial questions but I do not know whom to ask about ...

Many thanks.

Marco Ciampa

+--------------------+
| Linux User  #78271 |
| FSFE fellow   #364 |
+--------------------+
Ulf-D. Ehlert
2014-09-22 17:58:18 UTC (over 9 years ago)

docbook2html it/gimp.xml

will suffice.

A simple way to see what's happening is

make --dry-run | less

So in the gimp-help directory try e.g.

make --dry-run html-en | less

to see how the English html manual is built, while

make --dry-run html-it | less

will show you how to build a translated manual.

You will see that the main tool is "xsltproc"; I don't know "docbook2html" and can't tell you if (and how) it can be used to create html.

Bye,
Ulf

Nur wirklich kalte Seelen konnten das Höllenfeuer erfinden.
		-- Michael Schmidt-Salomon
Marco Ciampa
2014-09-22 20:05:55 UTC (over 9 years ago)

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 07:58:18PM +0200, Ulf-D. Ehlert wrote:

docbook2html it/gimp.xml

will suffice.

A simple way to see what's happening is

make --dry-run | less

Many thanks! Without your hint I would never thought that --dry-run could printout the commands (a quick look at the manual page confirmed it but --- who read the manuals anyway? ;-)

So in the gimp-help directory try e.g.

make --dry-run html-en | less

to see how the English html manual is built, while

make --dry-run html-it | less

will show you how to build a translated manual.

Done, very instructive!

You will see that the main tool is "xsltproc"; I don't know "docbook2html" and can't tell you if (and how) it can be used to create html.

xsltproc will suffice, thanks...

a quick look at che stylesheets included ... what a nightmare!

_______________________________________________ gimp-docs-list mailing list
gimp-docs-list@gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-docs-list

Marco Ciampa

+--------------------+
| Linux User  #78271 |
| FSFE fellow   #364 |
+--------------------+