RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Building GIMP on OSX 10.9

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Building GIMP on OSX 10.9 scl 08 May 21:00
  Building GIMP on OSX 10.9 Jon Nordby 08 May 21:21
   Building GIMP on OSX 10.9 Daniel Sabo 09 May 14:33
scl
2014-05-08 21:00:46 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

Hi,

I'm building GIMP on OS X 10.9 with an updated version of Clayton Walker's JHBuild script. The command I use is JHB=gimp GIMP_SDK=10.9 jhbuild build gimp-osx

Now that I have all my dependencies built, building GIMP itself fails with the following messages:

Making all in core make[4]: warning: -jN forced in submake: disabling jobserver mode. CC gimpmarshal.o
CC gimp-user-install.o
CC gimpbrushpipe.o
CC gimpbrushpipe-load.o
In file included from gimp-user-install.c:40: In file included from
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.9.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Headers/AppKit.h:10: In file included from
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.9.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Headers/Foundation.h:8: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.9.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Headers/NSObjCRuntime.h:371:1: error:
expected identifier or '('
@class NSString, Protocol;
^
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.9.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Headers/NSObjCRuntime.h:373:19: error:
unknown type name 'NSString'; did you mean 'GString'? FOUNDATION_EXPORT NSString *NSStringFromSelector(SEL aSelector); ^
/Users/.../gimp/10.9/inst/include/glib-2.0/glib/gstring.h:39:33: note: 'GString' declared here
typedef struct _GString GString; ^

The following error is repeated many times until the build breaks with the message 'Too many errors emitted, stopping now [-ferror-limit=]':

In file included from gimp-user-install.c:40: In file included from
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.9.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Headers/AppKit.h:10: In file included from
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.9.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Headers/Foundation.h:8: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.9.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Headers/NSObjCRuntime.h:374:44: error:
unknown type name 'NSString'; did you mean 'GString'? FOUNDATION_EXPORT SEL NSSelectorFromString(NSString *aSelectorName); ^ /Users/.../gimp/10.9/inst/include/glib-2.0/glib/gstring.h:39:33: note: 'GString' declared here
typedef struct _GString GString;

I have glib 2.39.1 installed and the sources I build with are in [GIMP's osx-build branch] plus Simone's and su_v's patches to treat C files as Objective C files. However, this doesn't seem to solve the problem.

Does anybody have a clue how to fix these errors?

Thank you in advance,

Sven

[GIMP's osx-build branch]: https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/tree/build/osx?h=osx-build

Jon Nordby
2014-05-08 21:21:06 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

On 8 May 2014 23:00, scl wrote:

Hi,

I'm building GIMP on OS X 10.9 with an updated version of Clayton Walker's JHBuild script. The command I use is JHB=gimp GIMP_SDK=10.9 jhbuild build gimp-osx

Now that I have all my dependencies built, building GIMP itself fails with the following messages:

Making all in core make[4]: warning: -jN forced in submake: disabling jobserver mode. CC gimpmarshal.o
CC gimp-user-install.o
CC gimpbrushpipe.o
CC gimpbrushpipe-load.o

What does the actual compiler line look like? (make V=1)

I have glib 2.39.1 installed and the sources I build with are in [GIMP's osx-build branch] plus Simone's and su_v's patches to treat C files as Objective C files. However, this doesn't seem to solve the problem.

What patches are these, and why would such a thing be neccesary?

Jon Nordby - www.jonnor.com
Daniel Sabo
2014-05-09 14:33:20 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

Can you build without patches and are you building 2.8 or master? gimp-master should build fine with no modifications, if 2.8 doesn't build then someone probably missed a cherry pick recently.