RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Changing order of placeholders

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Changing order of placeholders Michael Bauer 30 Jan 10:18
  Changing order of placeholders Michael Natterer 30 Jan 10:24
   Changing order of placeholders Michael Bauer 30 Jan 10:28
    Changing order of placeholders Simon Budig 30 Jan 10:31
     Changing order of placeholders Michael Bauer 30 Jan 10:50
      Changing order of placeholders Simon Budig 30 Jan 10:53
       Changing order of placeholders Michael Bauer 30 Jan 11:03
       Changing order of placeholders Michael Bauer 30 Jan 11:06
    Changing order of placeholders Michael Natterer 30 Jan 13:25
     Changing order of placeholders Michael Bauer 30 Jan 14:47
Michael Bauer
2014-01-30 10:18:42 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Hi

I'm working on the Gaelic localization of the GIMP and I've run into the problem of having to re-order the placeholders in strings with multiple placeholders. I cannot find a format the GNOME will accept - I tried %2$s %1$s etc, then %$2s %$1s, no luck, then %2s %1s etc but still I get an error during upload on GNOME. Does anyone know what the right format is?

Cheers

Michael

Michael Natterer
2014-01-30 10:24:43 UTC (about 10 years ago)

On Thu, 2014-01-30 at 10:18 +0000, Michael Bauer wrote:

Hi

I'm working on the Gaelic localization of the GIMP and I've run into the problem of having to re-order the placeholders in strings with multiple placeholders. I cannot find a format the GNOME will accept - I tried %2$s %1$s etc, then %$2s %$1s, no luck, then %2s %1s etc but still I get an error during upload on GNOME. Does anyone know what the right format is?

"%2$d %1$s" etc is the right format, what do you mean by "GNOME" doesn't accept it, how is it related to GNOME?

Regards, --Mitch

Michael Bauer
2014-01-30 10:28:47 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Hi Mitch,

Unless we've gotten the wrong end of the stick completely, we came to the conclusion that GNOME is the central repo for handling GIMP l10n (https://l10n.gnome.org/vertimus/gimp/master/po/gd) and it's the upload function there which gave me error messages when I tried re-ordering.

I only tried one for test purposes - maybe I should have left the %d as it was since there was only one? But normally once I start re-ordering most projects require the ordinals on all placeholders:

Tha a' phongalachd \"%2$s\" aig an dealbh \"%1$s\" (%1$d) ach tha dùil ris a' phongalachd \"%3$s\"

Michael

30/01/2014 10:24, sgrìobh Michael Natterer:

"%2$d %1$s" etc is the right format, what do you mean by "GNOME" doesn't accept it, how is it related to GNOME?

Regards, --Mitch

Simon Budig
2014-01-30 10:31:31 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Michael Bauer (fios@akerbeltz.org) wrote:

Tha a' phongalachd \"%2$s\" aig an dealbh \"%1$s\" (%1$d) ach tha dil ris a' phongalachd \"%3$s\"

I don't know what the original string is, but you're referring to the argument no 1 two times: one as a string, one as a decimal. That can't be right.

Bye,
Simon

simon@budig.de              http://simon.budig.de/
Michael Bauer
2014-01-30 10:50:10 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Well, the source string says

Image '%s' (%d) has precision '%s', but an image of precision '%s' is expected

Michael

30/01/2014 10:31, sgrìobh Simon Budig:

Tha a' phongalachd \"%2$s\" aig an dealbh \"%1$s\" (%1$d) ach tha

dùil ris a' phongalachd \"%3$s\"

I don't know what the original string is, but you're referring to the argument no 1 two times: one as a string, one as a decimal. That can't be right.

Bye,
Simon

Simon Budig
2014-01-30 10:53:43 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Michael Bauer (fios@akerbeltz.org) wrote:

Well, the source string says

Image '%s' (%d) has precision '%s', but an image of precision '%s' is expected

Then try this:

Tha a' phongalachd \"%3$s\" aig an dealbh \"%1$s\" (%2$d) ach tha dil ris a' phongalachd \"%4$s\"

(where I am unsure if 3 and 4 are in the right order - I currently can't even guess the drift of the sentence :)

Bye, Simon

simon@budig.de              http://simon.budig.de/
Michael Bauer
2014-01-30 11:03:31 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Then try this:

Tha a' phongalachd \"%3$s\" aig an dealbh \"%1$s\" (%2$d) ach tha dùil ris a' phongalachd \"%4$s\"

I did, still getting

.po file does not pass 'msgfmt -vc'. Please correct the file and try again.

(where I am unsure if 3 and 4 are in the right order - I currently can't even guess the drift of the sentence :)

Hehe it does look a little alien, literally it goes

Is accuracy % at the picture % () but was expectation against accuracy %

Thanks for helping sort this!

Michael

Michael Bauer
2014-01-30 11:06:16 UTC (about 10 years ago)

PS I forgot to say, if I remove the string entirely, it uploads without problem, so it's definitely this one causing the issue

Michael

30/01/2014 10:53, sgrìobh Simon Budig:

Then try this:

Tha a' phongalachd \"%3$s\" aig an dealbh \"%1$s\" (%2$d) ach tha dùil ris a' phongalachd \"%4$s\"

Michael Natterer
2014-01-30 13:25:52 UTC (about 10 years ago)

On Thu, 2014-01-30 at 10:28 +0000, Michael Bauer wrote:

Hi Mitch,

Unless we've gotten the wrong end of the stick completely, we came to the conclusion that GNOME is the central repo for handling GIMP l10n (https://l10n.gnome.org/vertimus/gimp/master/po/gd) and it's the upload function there which gave me error messages when I tried re-ordering.

I forgot that most translators don't use git directly, sorry.

--Mitch

Michael Bauer
2014-01-30 14:47:07 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Does that mean it's a GNOME problem, rather than an error in the way I'm doing the re-ordering?

Michael

30/01/2014 13:25, sgrìobh Michael Natterer:

Hi Mitch,

I forgot that most translators don't use git directly, sorry.

--Mitch