RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Brush

This discussion is connected to the gegl-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Brush Prokop Hapala 12 Oct 14:54
Prokop Hapala
2006-10-12 14:54:14 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Brush

Hello,

I read
" The reusability of image processing operations means that plug-ins will be able to be designed in a much more modular way. The brush system will be able to become more flexible, especially when filter plug-ins are able to be used as procedural brush plug-ins."
at http://developer.gimp.org/faq.html paragraph 4.3

It sounds wonderfull for me, because I dream about some advanced brushes for free hand CG-painting.
I would like both - to make them (write algorithm) or/and to use them as a painter.
But I'm not really a typical programer (I'm physicist and graphic artist), and I don't understand structure of big applications such as GIMP. I can design and write an algorithm doing what I want, however I can't integrate it into an application to make it usefull for me or any other artist.

So I have three questions.

1)If I write some algorithm, is there a simple way (for example any framework or template) how to integrate this algorithm into Brush system of GIMP? Where can I read about how to do it? Where can I download any relevenat sourcecode for it?
2)Is there any contemporary development aiming the integration of filter plugins into brushes or some other interactive freehand tablet controled tools? (which the sentense is speaking about) 3)Would be possible to integrate some parts (for example programable movement, bump, hierachical buffering) of *Advanced Visualization Studio* (* AVS*) (which is now also Opensource - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Visualization_Studio) into GIMP, and into its brush- and layer- system? I use AVS a lot to generate or edit some pictures, because its plugins are very usefull not only for visualisation of music, but also to make nice CG art, ornaments or some interesting effects to paintings. The integration, and interactivity (handling by tablet) could bring this into new level of usability.

I'm quite sure that with this generalism and universality of the Gimp brush- and layer- system GIMP could be superior to Adobe Photoshop, Corel Painter and ArtRage in the area of CG-Painting.

Sorry If I'm OT. I have read the FAQ, and find a template for plugins to GIMP and also downloaded sourcecode and tried to get understand the structure of GIMP, but I didn't find the answers to this questions, so I'm writing.

I would be glad and gratefull for any answer and link to some resources or more appropriate mailinglist or forum if I'm OT. Thanks, Prokop Hapala