RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

help in interpreting latex error

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

help in interpreting latex error Marco Ciampa 27 Jul 03:53
  help in interpreting latex error Roman Joost 27 Jul 04:22
   help in interpreting latex error Marco Ciampa 27 Jul 04:41
    help in interpreting latex error Marco Ciampa 27 Jul 05:44
help in interpreting latex error Sally C. Barry 27 Jul 07:30
Marco Ciampa
2006-07-27 03:53:32 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

From time to time I used to create the pdf versions of the english and

italian manuals because this operation easily catch some errors not easy to find with other methods.

Sometime, since I'm not a LaTex expert, I find errors like this that stops (pause) the compilation that I really do not uderstand:

? ! Undefined control sequence. \u-default-1085 #1->\cyrn

l.1172 } \label{id4712176}}}
?

Is there any latex expert the can help me to localize and interpret the errors?

Many thanks!

Roman Joost
2006-07-27 04:22:27 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 12:53:11PM +0200, Marco Ciampa wrote:

italian manuals because this operation easily catch some errors not easy to find with other methods.

Sometime, since I'm not a LaTex expert, I find errors like this that stops (pause) the compilation that I really do not uderstand:

?

I think, in most cases you face utf-8 errors. Either the mapping from xml to LaTeX creates wrong commands or wrong utf-8 control sequences in LaTeX or LaTeX can't find the font for this character.

Thats also why we had no luck to create chinese or korean pdfs ...

Greetings,

Marco Ciampa
2006-07-27 04:41:52 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 01:22:01PM +0200, Roman Joost wrote:

?

I think, in most cases you face utf-8 errors. Either the mapping from xml to LaTeX creates wrong commands or wrong utf-8 control sequences in LaTeX or LaTeX can't find the font for this character.

I understand but these errors where encountered during the making of the italian and the english (!) manuals.

Could be a missing lang="xx" tag but I do not understand even the error message syntax so I do not know where to look for the error. Where is the error? Which line? In which file, .xml or .tex?

LaTex experts please help! :-)

Marco Ciampa
2006-07-27 05:44:49 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 01:41:48PM +0200, Marco Ciampa wrote:

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 01:22:01PM +0200, Roman Joost wrote:

?

I understand but these errors where encountered during the making of the italian and the english (!) manuals.

Could be a missing lang="xx" tag but I do not understand even the error message syntax so I do not know where to look for the error. Where is the error? Which line? In which file, .xml or .tex?

LaTex experts please help! :-)

Sorry for the noise. I found a error in a lang attrib.

Sally C. Barry
2006-07-27 07:30:22 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hello All -

It's been _many_ years since I've used LaTeX, but I still have my old book about it.

l.1172 }
\label{id4712176}}}
?

Let's see if I can summarize the contents of Chapter 6 of the LaTeX book concerning this error message.

First, there should also be a log file created somewhere, in addition to what you see on the screen. When TeX starts processing a file, it writes the filename in the log file and on your screen, starting it with (. When it's done with the file, it writes the ). It also writes numbers in [] indicate the page numbers in the output file. The line number in the _input_ file which contains the error is indicated by 1.1172, in the case above, which indicates that it's on line 1172 of the first "page" of the input file. (The docs say that some editors let you add "pages" to your files.) Naturally, the real error can occur sometime _before_ the place it's complaining about, but the line number should give you a hint.

Errors can be printed by either LaTeX or TeX. The error message you got is a TeX error. (I don't think it's obvious whether a given error comes from TeX or LaTeX, but I don't know that it really matters, either. :-) ) Your error means that TeX encountered an unknown command name. There is probably a misspelled name somewhere. It could also be from a missing \documentstyle command.

This is tough to find, since I don't think we're writing in LaTeX or TeX directly. I think I remember that it wasn't very easy to find errors, when I _was_ writing in LaTeX.

Anyway, I know you already found the source of the error, but if you need to find another error, it might help. Or I still have the book, gathering dust on my bookshelf. :-)

Regards,

Sally