Updates for GIMP 2.8 and future plans
There are some things going on currently on the development of GIMP. The devs were chatting in a dev meeting last night about some important topics including:
- a new roadmap for newly developed GIMP features on a new unofficial GIMP wiki until the official one is up again. This inclued plans for non-destructive image editing,
- GIMP release cycles will be much shorter in the future (after GIMP 2.8 is released).
- the wiki should be a place for new developers where they quickly find needed information to start hacking on GIMP
- release more dev/beta builds in the future
- more scheduled meetings like the one last night.
- Google Summer of Code 2011: who will be mentoring and project ideas
There is still more to read if you want in the complete chat log.
The next IRC meeting is scheduled for March 14th, if you want to participate join the official IRC channel #gimp on irc.gimp.org (you can also use our web chat tool that directly connects you to the IRC).
One rather sad thing is that GIMP 2.8 will still use GTK2+ which is currently broken with graphics tablets support, so some of the new features (the new brushes engine) can not be used under Windows very well. If there will be a workaround for this is unclear. GTK3 will first be used in GIMP 3.
Thanks to Alexandre for posting the info on Libre Graphics World!