RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Replace text from given pic

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Replace text from given pic Chris1 15 Feb 14:30
  Replace text from given pic Noel Stoutenburg 17 Feb 20:51
  Replace text from given pic Scott Jacobs via gimp-user-list 18 Feb 01:22
   Replace text from given pic Partha Bagchi 18 Feb 02:52
2017-02-15 14:30:05 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

I'd like to replace a text from a given picture like: - remove text
- change font
- write new text

How do I do this?

Noel Stoutenburg
2017-02-17 20:51:28 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Chris1, unfortunately, when wrote:

- change font
- write new text

How do I do this?

unfortunately, you did not provide as much information as you might have to answer the question, but in general, it's more likely than not that you won't be able to do what you want to do. There are a few sets of circumstances where it might be possible. For example, it might be possible if the new text in the new font covers the old font completely, so that it is obscured. Also, if the file is in a format (like the native GIMP ~.xcf format) that supports layers, and the text is in a separate layer or layers, then you could delete the layers containing the text and replace the text with new layers. If the text is in ~.xcf format, and the text layers have been left separate, then you might be able to edit the particular text items directly specifying the new font, and editing in the new text.

But my hunch is that these combinations of characteristics will be rare, and in most cases, it will not be possible to do what you wish to accomplish.

ns

Certain details about the file format, including whether the images are in ~.xcf format or not, and if the layers of the original have been preserved or not, are very important facts which directly impact the ability to do a you wish.

In the case of an ~.xcf file (native GIMP format)

Scott Jacobs via gimp-user-list
2017-02-18 01:22:01 UTC (about 7 years ago)

The main problem with removing text from an ordinary image, is that while one can possibly select the text (by color, or some such) and delete it ("Edit->Clear"), one is left with a text-shaped hole in the image - either background color or transparent if there is an alpha channel. An earlier reply suggested that if the replacement text were larger than the original, it could perhaps be placed above the hole, centered, and thus block the hole with the new text. There is a remote chance that the image is such that Heal Selection could fill in the holes without leaving objectionable artifacts, and then one would be able to just make new text and place it where wanted in the image.
Your new text should remain as a separate layer, positioned above the rest of the image, and the image saved as GIMP's .xcf file type, so that you don't have this problem again.

Heal Selection is a plug-in, available separately and installed, or possibly already part of certain GIMP packages (Partha?).

-----Original Message----- From: Chris1
To: gimp-user-list
Cc: notifications
Sent: Fri, Feb 17, 2017 3:01 pm
Subject: [Gimp-user] Replace text from given pic

- change font
- write new text

How do I do this?

Chris1 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
Partha Bagchi
2017-02-18 02:52:56 UTC (about 7 years ago)

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 8:22 PM, Scott Jacobs via gimp-user-list < gimp-user-list@gnome.org> wrote:

Heal Selection is a plug-in, available separately and installed, or possibly already part of certain
GIMP packages (Partha?).

Yes, Heal Selection is part of my 2.8 series. It will not be part of 2.9

series till it's able to handle high bit depth images.

In the meantime, please use the heal selection in G'MIC which is installed with the 2.9 series.

Thanks,
Partha