RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

heigtfield texturing

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

15 of 15 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Font Plugin? Nick Wilson 13 Aug 15:57
  Font Plugin? Sven Neumann 13 Aug 21:30
   Font Plugin? Nick Wilson 13 Aug 21:20
Font Plugin? Carol Spears 13 Aug 17:28
Font Plugin? Carol Spears 13 Aug 21:44
  Font Plugin? Sven Neumann 14 Aug 13:26
Font Plugin? Carol Spears 16 Aug 01:29
  Font Plugin? Sven Neumann 16 Aug 18:56
   heigtfield texturing Gaillard Lee Johnson 16 Aug 22:17
    heigtfield texturing Sven Neumann 17 Aug 02:33
     heigtfield texturing Gaillard Lee Johnson 17 Aug 19:09
      heigtfield texturing Joao S. O. Bueno 17 Aug 22:22
    heigtfield texturing Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero 17 Aug 18:31
Font Plugin? Carol Spears 17 Aug 15:37
heigtfield texturing Carol Spears 18 Aug 06:23
Nick Wilson
2003-08-13 15:57:05 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Font Plugin?

Hi all,

I've been trying to get freefont and sharefont to show up in gimp 1.3.17 and try as I might, I have to conceed defeat.

Is there a plugin or some other way to get extra fonts into gimp?

many thanks...

Carol Spears
2003-08-13 17:28:36 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Font Plugin?

Nick Wilson wrote:

Hi all,

I've been trying to get freefont and sharefont to show up in gimp 1.3.17 and try as I might, I have to conceed defeat.

Is there a plugin or some other way to get extra fonts into gimp?

many thanks...

I was trying to talk someone into grabbing some of the good old font software from gimps past. This ircer was interested in a treeview listing of available fonts.

I suggested using the way that the original texttool (gimp-1.0)got the font information and the configuration button from the gimp-freetype plugin (gimp-1.2, gimp-freetype-0.2) and anything else that used to work like the line breaks in dynamic type and hook it all up to gimp-1.3 with treeview.

I don't know how far I got with this request, however.

In the meantime, hopefully fontconfig will work one day. or whatever font thing we are using now.

carol

Nick Wilson
2003-08-13 21:20:00 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Font Plugin?

* and then Sven Neumann declared....

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 15:57, Nick Wilson wrote

GIMP-1.3 uses fontconfig (http://fontconfig.org/) for font configuration. All you need to do is to add the directories with fonts to /etc/fonts/fonts.conf or ~/.fonts.conf.

I love you.

hehehehe! -

ahem... jeez, this should be written up somewhere so people know about it, I've been trying to sort this for weeks! It's a small edit to an xml file. Even if you don't understand xml it's childlike simple once you take a look at the file...

Thankyou very, very much....

Sven Neumann
2003-08-13 21:30:55 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Font Plugin?

GIMP-1.3 uses fontconfig (http://fontconfig.org/) for font configuration. All you need to do is to add the directories with fonts to /etc/fonts/fonts.conf or ~/.fonts.conf.

Sven

Carol Spears
2003-08-13 21:44:39 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Font Plugin?

Sven Neumann wrote:

This is bad news if you are like me and have way too many fonts.

carol

Sven Neumann
2003-08-14 13:26:02 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Font Plugin?

Hi,

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 21:44, Carol Spears wrote:

I don't see what's bad about this. GIMP shouldn't have it's own way of configuring fonts. By using fontconfig we make sure that users have to configure fonts only once and that they can make use of existing (fontilus) or yet-to-be-written font management tools. I admit that there are ways that font management could be improved, for example by introducing font categories. Such improvements should however be addressed at the fontconfig level so that other apps can benefit from it as well.

Sven

Carol Spears
2003-08-16 01:29:54 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Font Plugin?

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 21:44, Carol Spears wrote:

I don't see what's bad about this. GIMP shouldn't have it's own way of configuring fonts. By using fontconfig we make sure that users have to configure fonts only once and that they can make use of existing (fontilus) or yet-to-be-written font management tools. I admit that there are ways that font management could be improved, for example by introducing font categories. Such improvements should however be addressed at the fontconfig level so that other apps can benefit from it as well.

http://mail.fontconfig.org/pipermail/fontconfig/2003-August/000597.html

I think this mail says that fontconfig probably won't be doing catagorizing fonts anytime soon.

I was talking with someone familiar with gimp core stuff, apparently all of what is needed is there. Unfortunately, fonts catagorizing with its core means it would probably not be able to share such functionality with other apps, as the fontconfig people are suggesting.

All fonts are not equal, even if this is how they are presented lately.

carol

Sven Neumann
2003-08-16 18:56:53 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Font Plugin?

Hi,

On Sun, 2003-08-17 at 04:28, Carol Spears wrote:

I think this mail says that fontconfig probably won't be doing catagorizing fonts anytime soon.

I was talking with someone familiar with gimp core stuff, apparently all of what is needed is there. Unfortunately, fonts catagorizing with its core means it would probably not be able to share such functionality with other apps, as the fontconfig people are suggesting.

If we ever get around to implement categories for GimpData objects (brushes, patterns, gradients and the like) we should consider to also derive GimpFont from GimpData. That way we'd get font categories for free. There's a good chance that this will make it into GIMP-2.2.

Sven

Gaillard Lee Johnson
2003-08-16 22:17:19 UTC (over 20 years ago)

heigtfield texturing

hi..

I am trying to texture ( for game development) a heightfield that I made in terraform [ can only export like tga or png for gimp]( 3d) and load into gimp. I can load it into gimp but its greyscale and only 2d which isn't going to help me with texturing 3d objects on the terrain..any ideas?

thx anyone lee
-====

Sven Neumann
2003-08-17 02:33:40 UTC (over 20 years ago)

heigtfield texturing

On Sat, 2003-08-16 at 22:17, Gaillard Lee Johnson wrote:

hi..

I am trying to texture ( for game development) a heightfield that I made in terraform [ can only export like tga or png for gimp]( 3d) and load into gimp. I can load it into gimp but its greyscale and only 2d which isn't going to help me with texturing 3d objects on the terrain..any ideas?

What about mapping a gradient on it? Convert to RGB and apply Filters->Colors->Map->Gradient Map. Is that what you are looking for?

Sven

Carol Spears
2003-08-17 15:37:10 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Font Plugin?

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Sun, 2003-08-17 at 04:28, Carol Spears wrote:

If we ever get around to implement categories for GimpData objects (brushes, patterns, gradients and the like) we should consider to also derive GimpFont from GimpData. That way we'd get font categories for free. There's a good chance that this will make it into GIMP-2.2.

wow! Thanks!

carol

Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero
2003-08-17 18:31:06 UTC (over 20 years ago)

heigtfield texturing

g.leej@imyourhandiman.com (2003-08-16 at 1317.19 -0700):

It varies with the kind of final use you need. You do not specify which game or how does it work, so all I can give you is some general hints:

If your game can project the texture from the top, you can use the 2d top view terraform renders as a template. This way is more frequent in 3D apps, not games, and only works with nearly flat surfaces (it is called planar mapping), otherwise you get visible distortions. To get an idea, check the first cube that has a beach image in http://www.bergen.org/AAST/Projects/3DSMaxTutorial/mapping_coordinates.html.

If your game requires UV mapping, then you will have to find an UV tool. This tool will get the 3D mesh and create an unwrapped image that you can paint. It will look like those paper scale kits, that you cut, bend and glue to create 3D shapes. Look at the following tool http://www.unwrap3d.com/tutorial_unwrap.html or 3dsmax tutorial http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/bk-coffeehouse/tut-max-mapping.shtml (starting in step "mapping the chest").

You do not specify the level of detail you need either. If the surface is far away, a rough and small texture is fine. If the players will walk over the surface, the right way would be to define groups of polygons and apply tileable textures, cos a big texture will be unmanageable.

All GIMP can do is help you paint things, but you must have a 2d reference in some way. There was an add on to help with Quake models, but I have not heard about it in a long time. You will probably have better luck checking sites and lists of people dedicated to game mods.

GSR

Gaillard Lee Johnson
2003-08-17 19:09:03 UTC (over 20 years ago)

heigtfield texturing

no convertng to rgb doesn't give me a 3d respresentation of my terrain as the 3dview does in terraform...thats what I need is a way to afix textures in a realtime way to the terrain..how else does one know where/how to apply the textures to say a rock face on point x,y on the terrain....

thx ;)
lee
-====

Sven Neumann wrote:

hi..

What about mapping a gradient on it? Convert to RGB and apply Filters->Colors->Map->Gradient Map. Is that what you are looking for?

Sven

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-08-17 22:22:07 UTC (over 20 years ago)

heigtfield texturing

On Sunday 17 August 2003 2:09 pm, Gaillard Lee Johnson wrote:

no convertng to rgb doesn't give me a 3d respresentation of my terrain as the 3dview does in terraform...thats what I need is a way to afix textures in a realtime way to the terrain..how else does one know where/how to apply the textures to say a rock face on point x,y on the terrain....

GIMP is a 22D painting program.

Therefore, it is not possible to do what you want. You will have to either use the exported png heightfield, paint your texture over it in another layer, and them import it back on your terraforming program, or use another set of porgrans alltogether for the task you have in mind.

If Terraform cannot import a textureyou paint up in GIMP, you can preview it in POVRay instead.

Regards,

JS ->

thx ;)
lee
-====

Sven Neumann wrote:

hi..

Sven

Carol Spears
2003-08-18 06:23:30 UTC (over 20 years ago)

heigtfield texturing

Filters -->Map -->Bump Map has a little bit of height control. Lots of other options I never quite figured out as well.

The Basic Tutorial on either of the embarrassing and outdated web sites is everything I know about that Filter. Perhaps some of the other options there will get you towards your goal.

I do not know that much about 3d Art, however. I use gimp, gimp is 2d and easier for me to figure out because of that. One less direction to worry about.

carol

Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

On Sunday 17 August 2003 2:09 pm, Gaillard Lee Johnson wrote:

GIMP is a 22D painting program.

Therefore, it is not possible to do what you want. You will have to either use the exported png heightfield, paint your texture over it in another layer, and them import it back on your terraforming program, or use another set of porgrans alltogether for the task you have in mind.

If Terraform cannot import a textureyou paint up in GIMP, you can preview it in POVRay instead.

Regards,

JS ->

thx ;)
lee
-====

Sven Neumann wrote:

hi..

Sven