RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How to move selection ONLY!?!

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How to move selection ONLY!?! Mikelis Zalais 07 Aug 18:01
  How to move selection ONLY!?! Eric Pierce 07 Aug 22:38
  How to move selection ONLY!?! Niklas 08 Aug 00:53
  How to move selection ONLY!?! Dave Neary 08 Aug 09:35
mikelis@prog.lv 07 Oct 20:15
  How to move selection ONLY!?! Timothy E. Jedlicka - wrk 07 Aug 22:54
   How to move selection ONLY!?! Mikelis Zalais 07 Aug 23:15
Mikelis Zalais
2003-08-07 18:01:11 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GIMP user manual says:
"Note: To move a selection without making it float, you have to select the Move tool and press the Alt key as you drag the (empty) selection to another position. If you try to use the Move tool on a non-floating selection without pressing the Alt key, you will just move the entire layer or background."

I just can't make it happen. I want to make a selection and then move it to the right plase WITHOUT moving it's contents or any part of image. Just the selection. Like in PhotoShop...

I am using GIMP 1.2.3 & 1.3.17 And besides I am a newbie! :)

Eric Pierce
2003-08-07 22:38:02 UTC (over 20 years ago)

What window manager are you using?

I use IceWM, and that steals the alt-click combo, so I can't use it.

Fortunately, ctrl-alt-click works. Try that.

Eric Pierce

GIMP user manual says:
"Note: To move a selection without making it float, you have to select the Move tool and press the Alt key as you drag the (empty) selection to another position. If you try to use the Move tool on a non-floating selection without pressing the Alt key, you will just move the entire layer or background."

I just can't make it happen. I want to make a selection and then move it to the right plase WITHOUT moving it's contents or any part of image. Just the selection. Like in PhotoShop...

-- Mikelis Zalais

Timothy E. Jedlicka - wrk
2003-08-07 22:54:00 UTC (over 20 years ago)

So what happens when you try this? Does the whole window move (i.e. including the title bar?). If so you need to check your ALT-Click-1 bindings. If using KDE check out the KDE Control panel, if using sawfish - check out Window Bindings.

On 7 Aug 2003, "Mikelis" == Mikelis Zalais wrote:

Mikelis> To move a selection without making it float, you have to select the Mikelis> Move tool and press the Alt key as you drag the (empty) selection to Mikelis> another position
-----
Timothy Jedlicka, bonzo@lucent.com, 1-630-713-4436, AOL-IM=bonzowork Network Entomologist, Lucent Technologies, Testers For Hire

Mikelis Zalais
2003-08-07 23:15:12 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Ohhhh!
Yes, it was KDE binding to move window... :)

I recently switched from Windows to Linux. Thanks a lot!

mik

2003-08-07 at 23:54, Timothy E. Jedlicka - wrk rakst?ja:

So what happens when you try this? Does the whole window move (i.e. including the title bar?). If so you need to check your ALT-Click-1 bindings. If using KDE check out the KDE Control panel, if using sawfish - check out Window Bindings.

On 7 Aug 2003, "Mikelis" == Mikelis Zalais wrote:

Mikelis> To move a selection without making it float, you have to select the Mikelis> Move tool and press the Alt key as you drag the (empty) selection to Mikelis> another position
-----
Timothy Jedlicka, bonzo@lucent.com, 1-630-713-4436, AOL-IM=bonzowork Network Entomologist, Lucent Technologies, Testers For Hire

Niklas
2003-08-08 00:53:35 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hey,

On tor, 2003-08-07 at 18:01, Mikelis Zalais wrote:

GIMP user manual says:

Try this then:
1. Create a new image. And a new layer 2. Make a select and fill it with something (just to see the moving of the selection)
3. Select the Move Tool and hold down Ctrl+Alt while trying to move the selection with the left mouse button.

If you are using 1.3.17 there you will see that in the preferenses of the tool some other preferenses are being used while holding down Ctrl+Alt. I tried this in 1.3.17 and 1.2.5.

You can also try to do this: 1. Same thing as step 1 and 2
2. Hold down Alt and hold down any arrow key on the keyboard.

The selection should move now also without moving the rest of the image. Try to also use the other keys and you will see that these have different preferenses in the move tool. This is also tried in 1.3.17 here and it works for me. This does not work in 1.2.5 however.

Hope this helps you a little.

Regards,

Dave Neary
2003-08-08 09:35:48 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Quoting Mikelis Zalais :

Hi Mikelis,

Works fine here. When you have the select tool active and you press the modifier (Alt) key, you should see a cursor like this...

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~bolsh/various_images/selection_move.png

... which means that all is well, and you are good to move the selection without moving the contents.

Cheers,
Dave.