RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Simple Radial Lines

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

19 of 22 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Simple Radial Lines Eric Pierce 06 Aug 01:50
  Simple Radial Lines Joao S. O. Bueno 06 Aug 02:22
   Simple Radial Lines Eric Pierce 06 Aug 02:24
  Simple Radial Lines Jeff Trefftzs 06 Aug 21:02
   Simple Radial Lines Jakub Steiner 07 Aug 01:25
    Simple Radial Lines Eric Pierce 07 Aug 01:54
   Simple Radial Lines Eric Pierce 07 Aug 01:41
Simple Radial Lines M Narramore 06 Aug 15:54
Simple Radial Lines Mike Thorn 06 Aug 17:46
Simple Radial Lines David Millet 06 Aug 20:39
Simple Radial Lines Joao S. O. Bueno 07 Aug 02:21
Simple Radial Lines Joao S. O. Bueno 08 Aug 03:45
3F3043F4.5090707@neo.rr.com 07 Oct 20:15
  Simple Radial Lines Eric Pierce 06 Aug 02:00
   Simple Radial Lines Marc) (A.) (Lehmann 06 Aug 02:20
    Simple Radial Lines Joao S. O. Bueno 06 Aug 02:38
20030806190029.AFA851019A@l... 07 Oct 20:15
  Simple Radial Lines Michael J. Hammel 06 Aug 21:28
000301c35c46$30421890$6400a... 07 Oct 20:15
  Simple Radial Lines Joao S. O. Bueno 06 Aug 22:02
   Simple Radial Lines Juliet Nimmo 08 Aug 01:35
    Simple Radial Lines Joao S. O. Bueno 08 Aug 03:38
Eric Pierce
2003-08-06 01:50:54 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Simple Radial Lines

This should be easy, but I just can't think how to do it.

All I want to create is a radial burst. Sharp black and white lines evenly spaced emanating from the center.

Exactly like the old Japanese flag but without the circle in the middle. See here:
http://www.japanorama.com/images/navy_army_ww2_flag.gif

I've been wracking my brains for the last several hours, and digging through the plug-ings, but I can't come up with anything. It seems like it'd be so easy...

Any help would be much obliged! Eric Pierce

Eric Pierce
2003-08-06 02:00:53 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Simple Radial Lines

Eric Pierce wrote:

All I want to create is a radial burst. Sharp black and white lines evenly spaced emanating from the center.

Exactly like the old Japanese flag but without the circle in the middle. See here:

I've been wracking my brains for the last several hours, and digging through the plug-ings, but I can't come up with anything. It seems like it'd be so easy...

This seems too easy, but can't you just draw increasingly smaller circles from the outside in? Use Shift+Click to keep your circle perfectly round.

I'm not after circles. I'm even lines radiating from the center.

Did you see the gif link above? Just like that minus the circle in the middle.

Eric

--
------------
Mike Thorn
webmaster@roboticsresources.com
This email was sent from a Linux computer!

Marc) (A.) (Lehmann
2003-08-06 02:20:21 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Simple Radial Lines

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 07:00:53PM -0500, Eric Pierce wrote:

I'm not after circles. I'm even lines radiating from the center. Did you see the gif link above? Just like that minus the circle in the middle.

You could create a striped gradient fiurst and then use the gradient tool in conical mode. Maybe there are better solutions, but this solution is easily reusable :)

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-08-06 02:22:59 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Simple Radial Lines

Could not think of an easy way using the GIMP.

Actually, the only "more or less" easy way I could think off is using a graphic turtle I am making in GIMP-Python.

Since that would be complicated I made an extra-gimp solution for you. An Postscript Snippet.

Just paste the following postscript code in a plain text file, which name ends in .ps , edit the number of rays to the desired one, and them just open it as an image in the GIMP.

Enjoy it!

__

%!PS %%BoundingBox: 0 0 1000 1000

%(C) by Joao S. O. Bueno - 2003 %Free to use, change and re-distribute as you like. %Created for posting at gimp-user mailing list, aug-05-2003 %Creates a radial pattern

/numrays 8 def /step 360 numrays div def
500 500 translate

360 step div cvi {
newpath
0 1000 moveto
0 0 lineto
step 2 div rotate
0 1000 lineto
closepath
fill
step 2 div rotate
} repeat

showpage

Eric Pierce wrote:

Eric Pierce
2003-08-06 02:24:35 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Simple Radial Lines

That's it! Very cool solution.

As soon as you mentioned ps I started wondering if Sodipodi (or some other vector dealy) could pull this trick off, but your code is perfect. Manipulable and everything is rendered automatically.

Would make for a nice plug-in I imagine.

Thanks again! Eric Pierce

Could not think of an easy way using the GIMP.

Actually, the only "more or less" easy way I could think off is using a graphic turtle I am making in GIMP-Python.

Since that would be complicated I made an extra-gimp solution for you. An Postscript Snippet.

Just paste the following postscript code in a plain text file, which name ends in .ps , edit the number of rays to the desired one, and them just open it as an image in the GIMP.

Enjoy it!

__

%!PS %%BoundingBox: 0 0 1000 1000

%(C) by Joao S. O. Bueno - 2003 %Free to use, change and re-distribute as you like. %Created for posting at gimp-user mailing list, aug-05-2003 %Creates a radial pattern

/numrays 8 def /step 360 numrays div def
500 500 translate

360 step div cvi {
newpath
0 1000 moveto
0 0 lineto
step 2 div rotate
0 1000 lineto
closepath
fill
step 2 div rotate
} repeat

showpage

Eric Pierce wrote:

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-08-06 02:38:52 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Simple Radial Lines

I was thinking here,

albeit requiring a little programing, these ps snippets are really usefull in gimp.

Would someone there lke to help me to create a plugin that would do little more than keep these snippets in a .gimp subdir? (Than maybe manage loading them in different colors/transparencies, etc...)

I mean, I can write the snippets, but I could have help knowing which snippets to write. And a plugin is always a plugin ...

I am with too little time to spend on the gimp already, and I will only carry this on if someone else jumps in to help.

Regards, JS
->

M Narramore
2003-08-06 15:54:31 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Simple Radial Lines

Would the Perl_fu_bursts plug-in be any use? It's under Filters>Render>Burst.

Matt

At 06:50 PM 8/5/03 -0500, Eric Pierce wrote:

Mike Thorn
2003-08-06 17:46:45 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Simple Radial Lines

Whoops, sorry, didn't read the picture and I got a different picture in my head of what you wanted. My suggestion won't help, sorry!

But I've a new one. Use a series of marks on the edge of the image and just draw lines from the marks (evenly spaced marks, I add) to the center. make sure the center of your lines is offset. If you work out a correct system of marks, you should be able to do it.

Or, you could just copy that Japanese flag image, and extend the lines farther in. Then just bucket-fill the red to black.

HTH,

~Mike

Eric Pierce wrote:

>This should be easy, but I just can't think how to do it. >
>All I want to create is a radial burst. Sharp black and white lines >evenly spaced emanating from the center. >
>Exactly like the old Japanese flag but without the circle in the middle. >See here:
>http://www.japanorama.com/images/navy_army_ww2_flag.gif >
>I've been wracking my brains for the last several hours, and digging >through the plug-ings, but I can't come up with anything. It seems like >it'd be so easy...
>
>Any help would be much obliged!
>Eric Pierce
>
>_______________________________________________ >Gimp-user mailing list
>Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
>http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user >
>
>

David Millet
2003-08-06 20:39:23 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Simple Radial Lines

heres an idea for this:

you can check out a .gif here: http://www.tellim.com/random/starburst1.gif

1) make a new image significantly larger than your final project needs to be, twice the size to be safe
I wanted one that was 500 x 500, so i started with a 1000 x 1000 image 2) fill the background layer with white, create a new layer called BLACK1 3) select the left half of BLACK1 (in this example, select from x=0,y=0 to x=500,y=1000
4) fill that selection with black and deselct 5) rotate the BLACK1 layer exactly -10 degrees. the edge of the black will now probably be pretty poorly anti-aliased, so you can guassian blur it and then play with the curves of the alpha channel to fix the anti-aliasing, but thats optional and can potentially mess up your end product. i just did a guassian blur of 1 for the example i'm using here 6) duplicate the BLACK1 layer to produce BLACK1 copy, flip BLACK1 copy horizontally
7) merge the visible layers. the resulting layer should be called Background
8) duplicate Background and flip the Background copy layer vertically. set the Background copy layer mode to Screen 9) merge the visible layers again
10) duplicate the Background layer again, set the new layer mode to Screen and rotate it 45 degrees
11) duplicate the Background layer twice more, set both the new layer modes to Screen and rotate one of them 90 degrees and the other -45 degrees 12) merge the visible layers and crop out the edges to your hearts content

in step 5 i mentioned the antialiasing thing. blurring it and messing with the alpha channel can make it so that your black sections dont connect in the middle. not blurring and messing with the alpha channel will ensure that they do connect but the lines may look jagged

also, i know the black and white lines arent the same width in my example. to get them perfect, i believe you need to rotate exactly -11.25 degrees in step 5 instead of -10 degrees. if i did my math right, that should take care of it.

good luck & happy gimping!

David Millet

Jeff Trefftzs
2003-08-06 21:02:26 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Simple Radial Lines

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 16:50, Eric Pierce wrote:

I've been wracking my brains for the last several hours, and digging through the plug-ings, but I can't come up with anything. It seems like

Yet another technique that I've had good luck with is to create a repeating vertical gradient across the window and then convert it to polar coordinates. For example:

1. Select the Black & White Gradient 2. In the Gradient Tool Dialog select: 2.1 Custom Gradient
2.2 Linear (or bi-linear)
2.3 Sawtooth or Triangular repeats 3. Click and drag in the image window to get as many stripes as you want rays. Make sure the stripes run vertically. 4. Image/Filters/Distorts/Polar Coords

Presto! Raidal rays.

HTH,

Michael J. Hammel
2003-08-06 21:28:07 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Simple Radial Lines

On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 14:00, Eric Pierce wrote:

>
>All I want to create is a radial burst. Sharp black and white lines >evenly spaced emanating from the center. >
>Exactly like the old Japanese flag but without the circle in the middle. >See here:
>http://www.japanorama.com/images/navy_army_ww2_flag.gif >
>I've been wracking my brains for the last several hours, and digging >through the plug-ings, but I can't come up with anything. It seems like >it'd be so easy...

If I understand what you're asking here (which sounds sort of like a spoked wheel), GFXShapes can do this for a half circle. It's the "Fan" shape without the tail (aka "grip"). Just create a new layer with a fan, duplicate, flip the dup vertically and then align the bottoms. You might want to clip the bottom of the half circle to remove the edge before you dup the layer.

You can use GFXLayers to align the two layers exactly using point and click. I find myself using GFXLayers all the time - something I didn't expect I would be doing when I wrote it.

These are part of the Graphics Muse Tools CD. You can find info on it on my web site:
http://www.graphics-muse.com/gfxmuse/gfxmuse.html

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-08-06 22:02:27 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Simple Radial Lines

Juliet Nimmo wrote:

Hi all,
I tried using this solution on the windows version of gimp, and it gave me a "could not render" and a "could not read ps file" error messages. Does this solution only work in Linux?

AFAIK. Gimp requires the ghostscript "postcript engine" to load Postscript prograns.
I believe that if GStools is properly instaled in windows, GIMP for Windows should be able to load it as well. (if don't, that's a BUG and should be treated like one)

You can download ghostscript and it's associated tools starting from:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/AFPL/get700.htm

And if you gonna try it, let me know if it still doesn't work. regards,
JS
->

Jakub Steiner
2003-08-07 01:25:45 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Simple Radial Lines

On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 21:02, Jeff Trefftzs wrote:

1. Select the Black & White Gradient 2. In the Gradient Tool Dialog select: 2.1 Custom Gradient
2.3 Sawtooth or Triangular repeats 3. Click and drag in the image window to get as many stripes as you want rays. Make sure the stripes run vertically. 4. Image/Filters/Distorts/Polar Coords

Presto! Raidal rays.

You can also replace the gradient voodoo with render>pattern>grid. Polar Coord is a great trick for this though. Good tip.

cheers

Eric Pierce
2003-08-07 01:41:04 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Simple Radial Lines

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 16:50, Eric Pierce wrote:

I've been wracking my brains for the last several hours, and digging through the plug-ings, but I can't come up with anything. It seems like

Yet another technique that I've had good luck with is to create a repeating vertical gradient across the window and then convert it to polar coordinates. For example:

Presto! Raidal rays.

HTH, --

Cool... that works really good!

With Joao's ps script you can set the # of rays.

Here's what I worked up w/Joao's script: http://epierce.freeshell.org/pics/radial.png

Your technique would've worked well for this too. Eric Pierce

--Jeff

Jeff Trefftzs
http://www.tcsn.net/trefftzs Home Page http://gug.sunsite.dk/gallery.php?artist=68 Gimp Gallery http://trefftzs.topcities.com/ Photo Gallery

Eric Pierce
2003-08-07 01:54:50 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Simple Radial Lines

Presto! Raidal rays.

You can also replace the gradient voodoo with render>pattern>grid. Polar Coord is a great trick for this though. Good tip.

yeah, that's hot. A good way to get some control on the # of lines.

Thanks everyone who posted and especially to Joao for the cool dog script.

Eric Pierce

cheers

--
Jakub Steiner

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-08-07 02:21:09 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Simple Radial Lines

Not at all, Eric!

I like my script, mostly because I can always write others to perform like tasks.

But... I am just AMAZED by the grid + polar_coord trick. I bet we could just create a "GIMP PUZZLE CONTEST" . The most incredible, and yet feasible, way to draw "fnord" in the GIMP wins.

(And any postscript would be left out of such a contest - it's not made with the GIMP after all)

Does "photoshop" have got an easier way to draw these "Simple Radial Lines" ?

I remember using Deluxe Paint, in DOS - and there, there was a "symetric mode" one could enable - every stroke was mirrored N times around a common center, or in tiles, and this drawing could be made using that.

Actually, Deluxe Paint, for simple it was, had some features that are not found around in any other program.

JS ->

Eric Pierce wrote:

Presto! Raidal rays.

yeah, that's hot. A good way to get some control on the # of lines.

Thanks everyone who posted and especially to Joao for the cool dog script.

Eric Pierce

cheers

--
Jakub Steiner

Juliet Nimmo
2003-08-08 01:35:26 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Simple Radial Lines

Got the software, tried it, and it worked perfectly. Much thanks to you for the tip. :) Now how to vary the colors?.... =)

-----Original Message----- From: Joao S. O. Bueno [mailto:gwidion@mpc.com.br] Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 1:02 PM To: Juliet Nimmo; gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Simple Radial Lines

Juliet Nimmo wrote:

Hi all,
I tried using this solution on the windows version of gimp, and it gave me a "could not render" and a "could not read ps file" error messages. Does this solution only work in Linux?

AFAIK. Gimp requires the ghostscript "postcript engine" to load Postscript prograns.
I believe that if GStools is properly instaled in windows, GIMP for Windows should be able to load it as well. (if don't, that's a BUG and should be treated like one)

And if you gonna try it, let me know if it still doesn't work. regards, JS
->

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-08-08 03:38:36 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Simple Radial Lines

On Thursday 07 August 2003 8:35 pm, Juliet Nimmo wrote:

Got the software, tried it, and it worked perfectly. Much thanks to you for the tip. :) Now how to vary the colors?.... =)

Just put anywere in the script before the main loop the postscript operator to set the rgb color, which msut be precceededd by the RGB components ( 0.0 to 1.0, instead of 0 to 255)

For instance, to get orange, just insert the line:

1 0.5 0 setrgbcolor

by themselfves in any line before the openning {

regards,

JS ->

-----Original Message-----
From: Joao S. O. Bueno [mailto:gwidion@mpc.com.br] Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 1:02 PM To: Juliet Nimmo; gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Simple Radial Lines

Juliet Nimmo wrote:

Hi all,

And if you gonna try it, let me know if it still doesn't work. regards, JS
->

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-08-08 03:45:10 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Simple Radial Lines

On Thursday 07 August 2003 11:48 am, Eric Pierce wrote:

Not at all, Eric!

I like my script, mostly because I can always write others to perform like tasks.

Where did you learn how to write ps like that? I'd love to learn a little bit myself. Are there any good websites or books that you recommend? Have you ever messed around with xml/svg scripting? I'd like to get into that as well. Too bad it's not widely supported in common browsers.

Well...as I had always wanted too...and one day, my uncle, for whon I work here ( http://www.encaixe.com.br ), asked me to design him what would be a stationary telephonic index (the inner part, with the Name and Address and Phone entries). I tried Corel Draw first...designed a small page, copied it four times to get A4 size, copied in new A4 pages, and put the index letters on the border of each page of the index (A, B, and so on).

Took me about two hours, CorelDraw is got a sturdy interface, you know. Whebn I got ready, my uncle said "almost good. But you will have to pull the left margin half a centimeter to the right". That would take nearly the two hours again .. .(ok, not that much, but I saw that it was a lot of repetitive work each time a small change was required),

Them I remembered postscript...If only there could be a free interpreter of postscript to the screen, taht could also print it in a normal pritner, I could manage to learn what I needed overnight. I found Ghostscript for windows on that day, and had a completely instantly-customizable telephonic index on the other day.

There are some inners of the postscript that seen too esoteric - You just don't need them for simple drawings, and until today, some 5 years later, I never cared to learn them. The other day (2 weeks ago) I had a doubt, so I joinned the "gs-users" list, asked it there, and some guru came out with the expert part for me. :-)

I do not recall now ever being to a tutorial of PS. What I need constantly, however are sites with a good description of each postscript operator. - Google can find you same good ones,and I even soem tutorials.

If you want to, I think I can guide you through postscript with a short email a day.

But... I am just AMAZED by the grid + polar_coord trick.

Yeah, that one works great too. A nice internal method for pulling off the radial lines.

I bet we could just create a "GIMP PUZZLE CONTEST" . The most incredible, and yet feasible, way to draw "fnord" in the GIMP wins.

Hey, good idea! (just learned what 'fnord' is or isn't?)

:-)
:

And then
each winner's technique could be added to a cool little Fnord repository of short little tutorials (or even script-fu). If I can muster up some time, we could propose something along these lines to the Gimp people. I could even host it on my webspace or maybe gimp.org would let us host it there.

I think if we can get people involved there will be not rouble in having a link to it at gimp.org. BTW, just today I saw your name along with mine in the 1.3.17 "other contributors". What did you do? I could adda missing entry to the PDB database - the functions avaliable to scripts and plugins. Almost nothing, but my name got there.

(And any postscript would be left out of such a contest - it's not made with the GIMP after all)

Does "photoshop" have got an easier way to draw these "Simple Radial Lines" ?

I don't know. I work with a guy who uses Photoshop, and when I described wanting to make some radial lines for an ad, he thought there might be a way in Photoshop, but I beat him to the punch w/your script. Here's the ad I came up with using your ps: http://www.precisionind.com/_testing/th/ad.png

Great! :-)
I liked seeing it used this way.

I remember using Deluxe Paint, in DOS - and there, there was a "symetric mode" one could enable - every stroke was mirrored N times around a common center, or in tiles, and this drawing could be made using that.

Actually, Deluxe Paint, for simple it was, had some features that are not found around in any other program.

Hmm... could be a cool plug-in for Gimp. I wish I knew C.

Possibly, a good plugin.

However although C language itself is not hard - (I just gave an express live tutorial to a friend of mine here) -- but C code to achieve some task is hard - it requires too much writting, too much things to care for, for achieving little effects. I am glad that Python is getting official for the GIMP.

Good chatting,
Eric Pierce

Thanx,

regards,

JS
->