RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp 1.3.17

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp 1.3.17 Mogens Jæger 25 Jul 18:14
  Gimp 1.3.17 Sven Neumann 25 Jul 18:24
  Gimp 1.3.17 Jakub Steiner 25 Jul 18:56
   Gimp 1.3.17 Raymond Ostertag 25 Jul 23:39
    Gimp 1.3.17 Jakub Steiner 26 Jul 00:41
     Gimp 1.3.17 Raymond Ostertag 26 Jul 13:45
  Gimp 1.3.17 David Neary 25 Jul 20:09
Mogens Jæger
2003-07-25 18:14:51 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Gimp 1.3.17

Hello

I just downloaded the new version, and I have managed to get all working. But I have one - for me anyway - major complaint. In the 1.2 series of the Gimp, it was possible to change the shortcuts/keyboard assignments, so that the features you were using the most, has the easyest keys. Or is there a way to change it - I mean in the 1.2 you just found the function in the menu, pressed your wanted hotkey, and it worked - simple and genius.
Why has that been changed.

Sincerely, and not to forget a great thank you for your efforts

Mogens Jæger

Sven Neumann
2003-07-25 18:24:44 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Gimp 1.3.17

Hi,

Mogens Jæger writes:

I just downloaded the new version, and I have managed to get all working. But I have one - for me anyway - major complaint. In the 1.2 series of the Gimp, it was possible to change the shortcuts/keyboard assignments, so that the features you were using the most, has the easyest keys.
Or is there a way to change it - I mean in the 1.2 you just found the function in the menu, pressed your wanted hotkey, and it worked - simple and genius.

You can enable Dynamic Keyboard Shortcuts in the Preferences Dialog.

The default in GTK+ changed and we agreed that Dynamic Shortcuts are dangerous. Especially with the newly added mnemonics it happens frequently that you reassign keybindings accidentally. We recommened you enable the feature only when needed, do the changes and disable it again.

Sven

Jakub Steiner
2003-07-25 18:56:31 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Gimp 1.3.17

On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 18:14, Mogens Jæger wrote:

Hello

I just downloaded the new version, and I have managed to get all working. But I have one - for me anyway - major complaint. In the 1.2 series of the Gimp, it was possible to change the shortcuts/keyboard assignments, so that the features you were using the most, has the easyest keys. Or is there a way to change it - I mean in the 1.2 you just found the function in the menu, pressed your wanted hotkey, and it worked - simple and genius.

The dynamic shortcut assignment clashes with mnemonics. It is turned off by default. You can turn it on in the preferences (Interface>Keyboard shortcuts>Dynamic keyboard shortcuts). It's wise to turn it off once you're done so you don't reassign by mistake.

cheers

David Neary
2003-07-25 20:09:47 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Gimp 1.3.17

Mogens Jæger wrote:

This is now a preference in 1.3 - the idea, as I understand it, is that being able to dynamically chane keymappings may interfere with shortcuts. So how the general idea is that you enable dynamic shortcuts in your preferences, then change some shortcuts, then re-disable dynamic shortcuts.

I may not understand this perfectly...

Cheers, Dave.

Raymond Ostertag
2003-07-25 23:39:00 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Gimp 1.3.17

On 25 Jul 2003 18:56:31 +0200
Jakub Steiner wrote:

On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 18:14, Mogens Jæger wrote:

Hello

The dynamic shortcut assignment clashes with mnemonics. It is turned off by default. You can turn it on in the preferences (Interface>Keyboard shortcuts>Dynamic keyboard shortcuts). It's wise to turn it off once you're done so you don't reassign by mistake.

Hello,

I can not follow you (Jakub, Sven and Dave) in this way.

Dinamyc shortcuts are useful to reassign defaults schortcuts but they are interresting if you use them really dynamically, I mean assigned them immediatly at the moment you need a shortcut. So I'll leave dynamic shortcuts enabled.

You said that there is an interference with mnemonics but if you turn off the "save shortcuts at the end of the session" it's not important because defaults will be restored for the next session. ( And I don't think that many users really use mnemonics, The main use of mnemonics is probably when you use the tablet instead of the mouse )

Furthermore it seems that with gimp 1.3.17 it's no more possible to reassign dinamically the shortcuts to a mnemonics, I tried but it only gives me a BUZZ (wrong) bell. As I remember it was possible in Gimp 1.3.16 but I won't reinstall it to check.

@+ Raymond

Jakub Steiner
2003-07-26 00:41:34 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Gimp 1.3.17

On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 23:39, Raymond Ostertag wrote:

restored for the next session. ( And I don't think that many users really use mnemonics, The main use of mnemonics is probably when you use the tablet instead of the mouse )

Maybe that's because there were no mnemonics in GIMP till now. Note that you can use the mnemonics as shortcuts and you will not run out of key combinations. You can now do Shift+F10,I,M,I to index an image; Shift+F10,L,C,C to get to the curves dialog etc. You can even get rid of the rather obscure Shift+F10 combo by making the menubar visible on the image windwo and using Alt instead.

The clash with dynamic shortcut assignment lies in a situation where you press a mnemonic key, but a key shortcut gets assigned to the current menu item instead. Yes it sucks, but I'd rather not have mnemonics not implemented because of dynamic shortcuts. I like both fuctions and I hate they clash. If someone has a better solution/implementation that would be sweet. I'm greatful for the current solution, since it is still nicer to use dynamic shortcuts than some obscure complicated shortcut editor or messing this an rc file.

cheers

Raymond Ostertag
2003-07-26 13:45:44 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Gimp 1.3.17

On 26 Jul 2003 00:41:34 +0200
Jakub Steiner wrote:

On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 23:39, Raymond Ostertag wrote:

restored for the next session. ( And I don't think that many users really use mnemonics, The main use of mnemonics is probably when you use the tablet instead of the mouse )

Maybe that's because there were no mnemonics in GIMP till now. Note that you can use the mnemonics as shortcuts and you will not run out of key combinations. You can now do Shift+F10,I,M,I to index an image; Shift+F10,L,C,C to get to the curves dialog etc. You can even get rid of the rather obscure Shift+F10 combo by making the menubar visible on the image windwo and using Alt instead.

The clash with dynamic shortcut assignment lies in a situation where you press a mnemonic key, but a key shortcut gets assigned to the current menu item instead.

That's I understood. I made this try in Gimp 1.3.17 : 1- ALT+F, N open the 'new' dialog
2- ALT+F+N reassign the shortcut ALT+N to the 'new' menu item 3- ALT+F, ALT+F or ALT+F+F beep, do nothing (new security in the last gimp if I am not wrong)

Situation 2 is still a problem... and I admit that for people who use mnemonics it's not funny because ALT+F+N is very close to ALT+F,N

An other case is Shift+F10,F,F reassign the shortcut F to the 'new' menu item but in this case it's like selecting a wrong item with the mouse, we can't avoid a wrong use of the mouse or the keyboard. Here only disable dynamic shortcuts is a (radical) solution.

Yes it sucks, but I'd rather not have mnemonics not implemented because of dynamic shortcuts. I like both fuctions and I hate they clash. If someone has a better solution/implementation that would be sweet.

Not possible to reassign any shortcut that begin with ALT ? Situation 2 will disappear.

I'm greatful for the current solution, since it is still nicer to use dynamic shortcuts than some obscure complicated shortcut editor or messing this an rc file.

Yes.

@+
Raymond