RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Update on the Drive to 2.0

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Update on the Drive to 2.0 David Neary 23 Jul 22:17
David Neary
2003-07-23 22:17:11 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Update on the Drive to 2.0

Hi all,

Just wanted to give ye a quick update on the triage of un-milestoned bugs in the run-up to the 2.0 feature freeze.

Thanks to the help of Maurits Rijk, Tino Schwarz and Alan Horkan, there are now only 200 outstanding bugs to be filtered, compared to the 361 yesterday.

However, I have to admit I'm a little disappointed by the take-up. I was hoping that a few more brave souls would volunteer an hour or two of their time to work through a few of these bugs. The link to the list is still http://makeashorterlink.com/?S1DF64A55

I really cannot emphasise how much this would help, so please, if you can spare a few minutes, follow the link and head on over to Bugzilla. Thank you.

Also, there has been one small hiccup, so I'd like to re-iterate the guidelines (which are a bit vague, I know) which I laid out yesterday. The objective is to have everything with a milestone of "--" milestoned to one of 1.3.x, 2.0 or Future.

1) Anything which is a defect in a feature already present in the 1.3 series should be marked with the milestone 2.0. Bugs in general are not blockers for a feature freeze.

Exceptions to this rule are critical or major bugs which cause the application to crash. These should at least be considered before we start doing pre-releases for a stable release, and should be milestoned 1.3.x.

2) Anything which is a feature which is important (where important means that the lack of the feature would be a major pain for some people) should be milestoned 1.3.x

3) Any other feature should be milestoned Future.

This includes features which require lots of coding in the core, or features which are fuzzy and aspirational (good examplea are bug # 104631 - allow dynamic resizing of brushes, or bug # 6893, Improve support for Vector Graphics - both these should be milestoned to Future).

When we're down to 20 or 30 features that haven't been milestoned, we can start trying to find people to implement them.

Actually, Tino Schwarz paraphrased the guidelines pretty well in a mail to me earlier - he said:
To paraphrase this: 1.3.x means "needs to go in before feature freeze because it's an important feature", 2.0 means "real bug, should be fixed after feature freeze, but before release" and Future means "we don't care for 2.0"

So that's about it.

As before, if anyone is having trouble with permissions in Mozilla, get onto me personally explaining the problem, and I will sort you out.

Happy GIMPing,

Cheers, Dave.