RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Installing pango with freetype support compiled in !!

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

20030602190007.076C310154@l... 07 Oct 20:15
  Installing pango with freetype support compiled in !! Brian Perkins 03 Jun 05:09
   Installing pango with freetype support compiled in !! Sven Neumann 03 Jun 10:52
Brian Perkins
2003-06-03 05:09:42 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hello Gimpers,
Here is the correct way to do this. Do not change the configure script, do not change the make file. This information, and lots of other configuation options explained, can be found by adding the -h (help) option to the ./configure script invocation, although it is not quite specific about this exact option. Here is what to enter to compile pango with freetype support: ./configure --with-PACKAGE=pangoft2

The response that Sven gave me that it should find freetype was not the case on my system and must not be the case on some other sytems as well due to this being an option in the configuration script. You are now ready to compile pango with freetype support as required by gimp 1.3.

I hope this helps,

Brian

On 2003-05-30 at 1808.38 +0200, Sven Neumann typed this:

Hi,

Jos? Manuel Garc?a-Patos writes:

You should edit the pango configure script and uncomment the lines related to pangoft2.pc. They?re more or less at the beginning of the file. It?s fairly easy to do that, the hard part was to figure it out (at least for me).

Editing the configure script is definitely not the right way of solving such problems. Please don't suggest such stuff (even if it somehow worked for you).

aww,

don't just say don't do that. at least say why and the better way to fix it.

carol

--
Mita" hinta on yo"lta"?
------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 16:48:27 -0400 From: Carol Spears
To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: [Gimp-user] Re: pangoft2 for gimp 1.3 Message-ID:
In-Reply-To:
References:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii MIME-Version: 1.0
Precedence: list

On 2003-06-01 at 1636.22 -0400, Carol Spears typed this:

On 2003-05-30 at 1808.38 +0200, Sven Neumann typed this:

Hi,

Jos? Manuel Garc?a-Patos writes:

You should edit the pango configure script and uncomment the lines related to pangoft2.pc. They?re more or less at the beginning of the file. It?s fairly easy to do that, the hard part was to figure it out (at least for me).

Editing the configure script is definitely not the right way of solving such problems. Please don't suggest such stuff (even if it somehow worked for you).

aww,

don't just say don't do that. at least say why and the better way to fix it.

because it sounds so mean.

carol

Sven Neumann
2003-06-03 10:52:21 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi,

Brian Perkins writes:

Here is the correct way to do this. Do not change the configure script, do not change the make file. This information, and lots of other configuation options explained, can be found by adding the -h (help) option to the ./configure script invocation, although it is not quite specific about this exact option. Here is what to enter to compile pango with freetype support: ./configure --with-PACKAGE=pangoft2

I'm afraid this is not correct. Check the output of configure --help:

Optional Packages: --with-PACKAGE[=ARG] use PACKAGE [ARG=yes]

This is a standard configure argument and rarely used. If at all, the correct syntax would be:

./configure --with-pangoft2

Since I know the pango configure script quite well, I know that there's no switch to enable/disable the use of freetype. All you need to do in order to compile PangoFT2 is to install freetype2 and fontconfig before you run configure. If the freetype backend is not listed at the end of the configure run, you should have a look at config.log. With a bit of experience you should be able to find out what is causing the problem. In case you don't, don't resist to ask here.

Sven