RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Scriting the use of the Ink tool

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Saving values. John Culleton 17 May 17:00
  Saving values. Sven Neumann 20 May 20:06
   Saving values. John Culleton 31 May 13:48
Scriting the use of the Ink tool Michael Schumacher 05 Jul 16:17
John Culleton
2003-05-17 17:00:24 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Saving values.

I import and export eps format files regularly. The Gimp defaults at both ends are not what I want. for example I import files at 300 dpi but Gimp defaults to 100 dpi.

On the save side things get worse. If I do "save" Gimp sticks an unwanted "-pg1" on the end of the file name and then tells me that pg1 is not a supported file type. If I do "save as" then I bypass that problem but the defaults are not what I want. So on every session I must reestablish that I want zero offset, I want encapsulated Postscript and I want dimensions in inches.

Is there a script, rc file or someplace that I can establish my defaults permanently? And is there a way to get rid of the unhelpful "-pg1" suffix on PostScript saves?

John Culleton

Sven Neumann
2003-05-20 20:06:08 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Saving values.

Hi,

John Culleton writes:

I import and export eps format files regularly. The Gimp defaults at both ends are not what I want. for example I import files at 300 dpi but Gimp defaults to 100 dpi.

GIMP doesn't seem to be the right tool for this since it converts your EPS files (that may contain vector information) to pixels only. The postscript plug-in is pretty much unmaintained and I am surprised to hear that people actually use it.

On the save side things get worse. If I do "save" Gimp sticks an unwanted "-pg1" on the end of the file name and then tells me that pg1 is not a supported file type. If I do "save as" then I bypass that problem but the defaults are not what I want. So on every session I must reestablish that I want zero offset, I want encapsulated Postscript and I want dimensions in inches.

Is there a script, rc file or someplace that I can establish my defaults permanently? And is there a way to get rid of the unhelpful "-pg1" suffix on PostScript saves?

Well, you have the source, feel free to hack it. And if you do so, please inform us so that we can consider to include your changes.

It might be worthwhile to file a bug-report for the -pg1 suffix. Attaching a patch to it would make it more likely that we'd change the plug-in.

Sven

John Culleton
2003-05-31 13:48:19 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Saving values.

On Tuesday 20 May 2003 02:06 pm, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

John Culleton writes:

GIMP doesn't seem to be the right tool for this since it converts your EPS files (that may contain vector information) to pixels only. The postscript plug-in is pretty much unmaintained and I am surprised to hear that people actually use it.

OK here is the drill. Weekly I make copies of church music and put them in booklets for our choir. I fire up Gimp and then use Xsane to bring the images into Gimp. I resize the pages and sometimes adjust the grayscale curve to improve the appearance. I save the pages individually and then incorporate them in a plain TeX file. I run tex and dvips. I sort the images for a booklet using psnup and psselect from the PSutils package. I print them out on tabloid paper on my laser printer. I staple and fold. Sometimes I need to edit further a previously established eps image and I use Gimp for this also.

It does not matter that Gimp works in pixels rather than vectors because the images are scanned in the first place. The seamless connection between Xsane and Gimp makes the image processing very smooth.

No doubt I could work up a routine with e.g., IMageMagick or XV, but I am happy with my Gimp process, except for the inability to save settings between sessions.

I will when time permits (gotta do those booklets this morning :) put in a bug report as you suggest.

John Culleton Able Typesetters and Indexers

Michael Schumacher
2005-07-05 16:17:41 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Scriting the use of the Ink tool

Von: Jon Kleiser

Is it possible to write a Scheme/Script-Fu script that puts circular dots at certain positions using the Ink tool? The reason I want to use the Ink tool is that those dots are nicely anti-aliased.

Using the "normal" brush tool, the antialiasing seems to be better... at least for me.

HTH,
Michael