RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Monitor for Gimp

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

making outline shape. John Culleton 04 Feb 09:48
john@wexfordpress.com 07 Oct 20:16
  making outline shape. Jeff Trefftzs 04 Feb 20:34
  Monitor for Gimp David Burren 01 Apr 01:08
   Monitor for Gimp Sven Neumann 01 Apr 13:39
   Monitor for Gimp GSR - FR 01 Apr 14:48
John Culleton
2003-02-04 09:48:47 UTC (about 21 years ago)

making outline shape.

I have an image of a painter's palette. I have both the original color version and my grayscale reproduction. What I really want is a line drawing of the outline. Can anyone suggest a sequence of steps to arrive at this?

Jeff Trefftzs
2003-02-04 20:34:40 UTC (about 21 years ago)

making outline shape.

I have an image of a painter's palette. I have both the original color version and my grayscale reproduction. What I really want is a line drawing of the outline. Can anyone suggest a sequence of steps to arrive at this?

Hi John -

This counts as a Hard Problem (TM), for which there is no general solution. I can suggest a variety of tricks and tactics that I have used with varying degrees of success - ymmv.

First, for some good background on this problem, try reading Chapters 3 and 4 (Selections, and Channel Masks) of Grokking the Gimp, by Cary Bunks. The book itself is available online at gimp-savvy.com, or you may download it.

1. The most general, and the most tedious, way to outline an object in an image is to use the bezier selection tool. Personally I have never liked this tool, as it's way too finicky, and I keep making selection mistakes such as editing the path when I want to simply move a point, etc. But, if you can take the time, it will outline things to any degree of detail you have the patience for.

2. Other selection tools can work nicely if there is some way to discriminate between the object you're trying to select and its immediate background. Try decomposing the original image to HSV channels, for example, and selecting using the magic wand in the Value or Hue channels, for example.

3. Or try using /Colors/Threshold. Sometimes this will distinguish nicely between useful parts of an image.

4. And, of course, there are the various edge-detection filters: including Laplacian, LoG, Sobel, etc.

Conclusion - some features of an image are more easily extracted than others. If you're lucky, the item you want to cut differs noticeably in color from its solid background, and it's easy (more or less). If you're working with a normal photo, then no simple feature set distinguishes the target objedt from the background and you have to work a lot harder.

Good luck, and good hunting!

David Burren
2004-04-01 01:08:53 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Monitor for Gimp

John Culleton wrote:

So how do I determine which monitors, if any can have adjustable Gamma? BTW I specified 3.0 gamma in my XF86Config file but I can spot no difference in the test files. So my current Orion monitor (17") does not seem to adjust.

Monitors typically don't have adjustable gamma. The gamma is a factor of the behaviour of the phosphors/etc and isn't adjustable (except maybe as a side-effect of manipulating overall brightness and contrast). But the native gamma of the monitor will change over time as it ages.

However, most video cards have a lookup table (LUT) which can be used to statically transform each of the R/G/B components. By default this LUT is loaded by the X server with a linear transform (a gamma of 1.0) and the effective gamma of your video system is the combination of that and the native gamma of your monitor. You can manipulate the gamma of your system by playing with the Xserver's idea of gamma, but the overall gamma will not be just that number.

Xfree86 implements LUT manipulation through a X extension, but only allows you to set a gamma for red, green, and blue (it generates the LUT values internally). The basic commandline interface to this is xgamma, and KDE/etc have added their own versions.

This is relevant to Sven's question:

If I set a reasonable gamma value on my X server, things look washed out and pale. Is that really desirable?

If you set `xgamma -gamma 2.2` then your system will NOT have a gamma of 2.2 (unless your monitor had a gamma of 1.0, which is VERY unlikely).

The "standard monitor" that is modelled by the sRGB colour space (which is meant to describe the "average" [well-adjusted] PC monitor, and is specified as the default colour space of the web) happens to have a gamma of 2.2 (as well as a white colour of 6500K and a bunch of other details).

What happens in Windows and MacOS with a colour-managed system is actually in two parts. When the monitor is calibrated (e.g. with a colorimeter or photospectrometer like a ColorVision Spyder, a basICColor Squid, a Monaco Optix, etc) is twofold:

First, calibration: The system is calibrated to a standard viewing condition. The brightness/contrast is adjusted to achieve reasonable black/white points, and the video card's LUTs are manipulated to achieve the target gamma/colour-temp/etc and ensure that R=G=B results in a fairly neutral colour. Note that the resulting LUT values are not defined by a simple gamma curve.

At this point non-colour-managed applications (e.g. window managers) will have a consistent look across systems that have been calibrated the same way. Most people calibrate their systems to D6500 and a gamma of 2.2, primarily because this is close to the natural behaviour of most CRTs and this the LUT tables will be close to linear. Unfortunately most video cards have only 8-bit LUTs and the more "aggressive" the curve the higher the probability that you will introduce quantisation and posterisation of some colours. In fact when I calibrate the monitors on my Mac systems I specify "native" gamma where it then measures and uses the gamma of the monitor (but not all calibration software supports this).

Using D6500 and gamma=2.2 also means that the calibrated system is close to sRGB. Because of its use in the web standards (and a few other reasons) sRGB has become the default colour space for non-CM files.

Second, profiling:
The software and colorimeter/photospectrometer measures the colour behaviour of the calibrated system and generates an ICC profile for it. This profile is stored in the system as the default profile for the display, and is used by colour-managed applications such as Photoshop to transform images from their internal colour spaces to the monitor's colour space and thus give you an accurate view of the colours represented by the image's RGB (or CMYK/etc) data.

Incidentally, the calibration/profiling software typically stores the LUT data in a tag within the ICC profile. This tag is not used by Photoshop et. al. but is used by the "LUT loader" when the user logs in to reset the calibration. Unfortunately there are several vendor-specific tags being used in the Windows environment and each vendor has its own LUT loader program. On the Mac there is a standard tag, and the OS does the LUT loading.

Note that because the native behaviour of monitors changes over time (and will be different if you adjust almost ANY of the monitor's controls - even physically moving the monitor can make a difference) in environments where users care about the colour accuracy of the system it's usual to recalibrate/profile the monitor on a regular basis (e.g. weekly) and only after the monitor has warmed up for 30 minutes or so.

Does that description clear up anything for you?

Lack of support for this stuff in the Gimp et. al. is the main reason I moved to Macs (I have an IT background, but these days work as a professional photographer). I haven't given up the Gimp entirely yet, but its getting less and less use over time. __
David Burren

Sven Neumann
2004-04-01 13:39:02 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Monitor for Gimp

Hi,

David Burren writes:

Does that description clear up anything for you?

Yes, that was a very helpful explanation. Thanks a lot.

Lack of support for this stuff in the Gimp et. al. is the main reason I moved to Macs (I have an IT background, but these days work as a professional photographer). I haven't given up the Gimp entirely yet, but its getting less and less use over time.

Since we have display filter modules in GIMP 2.0 and there's a color proof display filter module already, it's probably less than an hour work to add a display filter that uses lcms to color-correct for the monitor. The only issue with this is that display filters are not yet nicely integrated into the workflow. You have to manually select them for every display you open. This is something that I'd like to see improved for GIMP-2.2.

If there was a standard on where to look for the monitor ICC profile and such, that would certainly make things easier. There's a newly created mailing-list on freedesktop.org that deals with this stuff. If you want to join this list, please see http://pdx.freedesktop.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openicc

Sven

GSR - FR
2004-04-01 14:48:40 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Monitor for Gimp

db011@burren.cx (2004-04-01 at 0908.53 +1000):

Xfree86 implements LUT manipulation through a X extension, but only allows you to set a gamma for red, green, and blue (it generates the LUT values internally). The basic commandline interface to this is xgamma, and KDE/etc have added their own versions.

I got in IRC a small code snipet that allows full modification, it inverts the colours so I think it should be possible to load any other curve you can think of, if it is per channel.

The "standard monitor" that is modelled by the sRGB colour space (which is meant to describe the "average" [well-adjusted] PC monitor, and is specified as the default colour space of the web) happens to have a gamma of 2.2 (as well as a white colour of 6500K and a bunch of other details).

Most monitors I have found were not 2.2. Only last one is 2.2, and when sRGB preset. This "small detail" is what I think has caused lots of problems, people knew their monitor was designed to be pluged in a 50Hz socket, or 60, or auto select among both, but not what colour config was provided by it and the video card (and probably do not understand it anyway).

GSR