RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Image resolution out of bounds Message

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Image resolution out of bounds Message Clint Harshaw 23 Dec 03:36
Image resolution out of bounds Message Tom Williams 23 Dec 03:58
charshaw@backroads.net 07 Oct 20:15
  Image resolution out of bounds Message David Burren 23 Dec 04:36
Clint Harshaw
2002-12-23 03:36:12 UTC (over 21 years ago)

When I open files stored on a Photo CD scanned by a Fuji Frontier, the following GIMP Message appears:

"Image resolution is out of bounds, using the default resolution instead."

I'm new to Gimp, but don't find any reference to this message in my Grokking the Gimp text. I've just picked up 5x7" Frontier prints made from Gimp'd .jpg files and they look fine to my eyes -- in spite of the resolution message.

Can anyone point me to what it's about?

Thanks, Clint

Tom Williams
2002-12-23 03:58:28 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Clint Harshaw wrote:

When I open files stored on a Photo CD scanned by a Fuji Frontier, the following GIMP Message appears:

Yeah, I've been getting this message as well when I open some somewhat large images that have been sent to me. The image seems to appear ok so I've been ignoring the message. I encounter this with gimp 1.2.3 on Linux.

Peace...

Tom

David Burren
2002-12-23 04:36:29 UTC (over 21 years ago)

I'm new to Gimp, but don't find any reference to this message in my Grokking the Gimp text. I've just picked up 5x7" Frontier prints made from Gimp'd .jpg files and they look fine to my eyes -- in spite of the resolution message.

Can anyone point me to what it's about?

Resolution is not the number of pixels, but rather the size of the pixels. The usual unit of measurement is dots per inch (dpi).

When the Gimp is opening a TIFF or JPEG file it reads the tag inside the file that specifies the resolution. If the value doesn't make enough sense, the "Image resolution is out of bounds" message is output. In v1.2.3 the following definitions are used:

#define GIMP_MIN_RESOLUTION 5e-3 #define GIMP_MAX_RESOLUTION 65536.0

It would be interesting to know what the value was that it didn't like, but in the end it doesn't matter. You're probably going to change the dpi before you print it anyway...

The image data is not affected by this condition - if your pictures look ok then they probably are.
__
David Burren