RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

2-byte TTF font brokenness - are there any options?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

2-byte TTF font brokenness - are there any options? Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com 19 Dec 22:00
2-byte TTF font brokenness - are there any options? Christopher Hicks 19 Dec 22:56
Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com
2002-12-19 22:00:44 UTC (over 21 years ago)

This is a GREAT question as I've run into this a LOT. I've recently learned how to install Windows True-Type fonts in XFree86 (4.2.1) and I'm finding I can use the Windows fonts with gimp on Linux that I thought I had abandoned.

An answer to the "2-byte font" problem would be greatly appreciated.... :)

Peace....

Tom

Christopher Hicks To: Gimp-user mailing list Sent by: cc: gimp-user-bounces@lists.xcf.be Subject: [Gimp-user] 2-byte TTF font brokenness - are there any rkeley.edu options? 12/19/02 01:56 PM

"Our mission is to help our clients achieve more cost-effective data center operations."

I'm trying to get ttf fonts to work with gimp, but it seems like most of the fonts that my users want to use are causing the "This is a 2-byte font and may not display correctly." message to appear. The "may not display" in the message seems to consistantly translate into "renders in image as a tiny ugly font like the Windows System font". Is there any workaround for this? We're using gimp 1.2.3 on RedHat 8.0.

I've searched the web for hours and submitted a bug to Red Hat ( https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=80024 which includes a detailed way to reproduce the problem.) all without coming up with anything. I'm not afraid of cvs, compiling, patching, converting the fonts somehow, or whatever, but I have no idea why it's happening or where to begin. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

--

Programming is a Dark Art, and it will always be. The programmer is fighting against the two most destructive forces in the universe: entropy and human stupidity. They're not things you can always overcome with a "methodology" or on a schedule. -Damian Conway, Perl God

Christopher Hicks
2002-12-19 22:56:54 UTC (over 21 years ago)

I'm trying to get ttf fonts to work with gimp, but it seems like most of the fonts that my users want to use are causing the "This is a 2-byte font and may not display correctly." message to appear. The "may not display" in the message seems to consistantly translate into "renders in image as a tiny ugly font like the Windows System font". Is there any workaround for this? We're using gimp 1.2.3 on RedHat 8.0.

I've searched the web for hours and submitted a bug to Red Hat ( https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=80024 which includes a detailed way to reproduce the problem.) all without coming up with anything. I'm not afraid of cvs, compiling, patching, converting the fonts somehow, or whatever, but I have no idea why it's happening or where to begin. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.