RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Corruption of Graphics Files

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Corruption of Graphics Files ASJF 09 Jun 10:34
  Corruption of Graphics Files Simon Budig 09 Jun 11:04
   Corruption of Graphics Files ASJF 09 Jun 12:00
    Corruption of Graphics Files Sven Neumann 09 Jun 12:07
     Corruption of Graphics Files John R. Culleton 09 Jun 14:13
      Corruption of Graphics Files Rikard Johnels 09 Jun 14:34
    Corruption of Graphics Files Stephan Hegel 09 Jun 18:03
     Corruption of Graphics Files ASJF 09 Jun 18:38
ASJF
2007-06-09 10:34:48 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi all,

I have some trouble with a JPEG file... When trying to open this file I get :
Not a JPEG file: starts with 0x00 0x00 Fine...
The file seems not to be truncated, it has the same size as the other ones. Do you know how I can change the start of file and the end of file of a JPEG picture using the gimp or any other thing?

Thanks a lot !

Jeff

Simon Budig
2007-06-09 11:04:56 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

ASJF (asjf@free.fr) wrote:

The file seems not to be truncated, it has the same size as the other ones. Do you know how I can change the start of file and the end of file of a JPEG picture using the gimp or any other thing?

What makes you think that it indeed does contain a JPEG file? Instead of being just a blob of random data which happens to have a name ending in ".jpg"?

Can you open it with other programs?

Bye, Simon

ASJF
2007-06-09 12:00:18 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

I can't open it with other programs... (I have also tried to open it with my favourite emacs... but it contains only "@@@@@@....@@@@@").
It is a jpeg file because it comes from a cdrom that contains only jpeg files (pictures). I think it has been corrupted during the burning... there are some other one like this one, but not all...

Jeff

ASJF (asjf@free.fr) wrote:

What makes you think that it indeed does contain a JPEG file? Instead of being just a blob of random data which happens to have a name ending in ".jpg"?

Can you open it with other programs?

Bye, Simon

Sven Neumann
2007-06-09 12:07:05 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Sat, 2007-06-09 at 12:00 +0200, ASJF wrote:

I can't open it with other programs... (I have also tried to open it with my favourite emacs... but it contains only "@@@@@@....@@@@@").
It is a jpeg file because it comes from a cdrom that contains only jpeg files (pictures). I think it has been corrupted during the burning... there are some other one like this one, but not all...

It will be extremely difficult to recover any image data from such corrupted files. You could try
http://freshmeat.net/projects/recoverjpeg/ but I doubt that it will help in this case.

Sven

John R. Culleton
2007-06-09 14:13:35 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

On Saturday 09 June 2007 06:07, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

It will be extremely difficult to recover any image data from such corrupted files. You could try
http://freshmeat.net/projects/recoverjpeg/ but I doubt that it will help in this case.

Try renaming it so the the suffix is eliminated. Then try calling it up in various programs that recogize multiple file formats, like XV or even Gimp. Maybe the program will recognize the format based on the preamble. And maybe not.

John Culleton Able Indexing and Typesetting
Precision typesetting (tm) at reasonable cost. Satisfaction guaranteed.
http://wexfordpress.com

Rikard Johnels
2007-06-09 14:34:48 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

On Saturday 09 June 2007 14:13, John R. Culleton wrote:

On Saturday 09 June 2007 06:07, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Try renaming it so the the suffix is eliminated. Then try calling it up in various programs that recogize multiple file formats, like XV or even Gimp. Maybe the program will recognize the format based on the preamble. And maybe not.

John Culleton Able Indexing and Typesetting
Precision typesetting (tm) at reasonable cost. Satisfaction guaranteed.
http://wexfordpress.com

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user --
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]

Faster: run a "file" on it.

This is a test of a AVI i have removed the suffix from

file Desktop/Summerrain Desktop/Summerrain: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI

Stephan Hegel
2007-06-09 18:03:39 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi,

ASJF wrote:

(I have also tried to open it with my favourite emacs... but it contains only "@@@@@@....@@@@@").

If it contains only "@"s, what are you going to recover ?

Rgds, Stephan.

ASJF
2007-06-09 18:38:18 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

I tried a lot of different things but it doesn't work...

I think Stephan is right : When I remove the suffix ".jpg" from the corrupted file, I can open it with an text editor like emacs and there are only @@@... I tried to do the same thing with a not corrupted jpeg file and I have also others characters, not only @@@... (up to now I had never tried to open a picture with a text editor...). So I think my file is really corrupted...

What is strange is that it has the same size as the other jpeg file that are not corrupted.

When I run file on the corrupted file I get "data", while I of course get something like "JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01" with good ones... I think that my file is definitively dead... :'(

Thank you all for your help !!

Hi,

ASJF wrote:

(I have also tried to open it with my favourite emacs... but it contains only "@@@@@@....@@@@@").

If it contains only "@"s, what are you going to recover ?

Rgds, Stephan.