RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Dodge or Burn layer but only to specific parts

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Dodge or Burn layer but only to specific parts DJ 05 Jun 11:40
  Dodge or Burn layer but only to specific parts Elwin Estle 05 Jun 12:23
   Dodge or Burn layer but only to specific parts DJ 05 Jun 23:15
    Dodge or Burn layer but only to specific parts Elwin Estle 06 Jun 02:22
  Dodge or Burn layer but only to specific parts David Gowers 05 Jun 13:39
   Dodge or Burn layer but only to specific parts Elwin Estle 05 Jun 15:47
DJ
2007-06-05 11:40:36 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi Gimp-user,

I really like the Dodge and Burn tool. During my practice trials, I have been doing the work right to the background.

I know there is a layer mode for Dodge and Burn. But I don't want to apply it to the entire layer, just touch-up's, here and there, so I'll be able to click on the eye to see how it is improving the image. How do I get the Dodge or Burn layer to only apply to very specific parts of the image?

Why is the quick-mask in the un-do's? It doesn't actually modify the image. I turn the quick-mask on and off a lot, and it pops up a lot in the undo's.

Thank you.

Elwin Estle
2007-06-05 12:23:55 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

You could do this several ways. What I usually do to spot adjust a single area is to make a selection around with the lasso tool. Then I turn on quickmask and gaussian blur the mask to give it a nice soft edge. Then I turn the mask back into a selection. Then I used the curves tool to locally adjust the area that I want. I have never used the dodge and burn layers for local stuff.

However, I suppose you could duplicate the layer, then use that same selection, invert it, then cut away the part of the image you don't want to be affected, then make a dodge/burn layer above this modified duplicate.

--- DJ wrote:

Hi Gimp-user,

I really like the Dodge and Burn tool. During my practice trials, I have been doing the work right to the background.

I know there is a layer mode for Dodge and Burn. But I don't want to apply it to the entire layer, just touch-up's, here and there, so I'll be able to click on the eye to see how it is improving the image. How do I get the Dodge or Burn layer to only apply to very specific parts of the image?

Why is the quick-mask in the un-do's? It doesn't actually modify the image. I turn the quick-mask on and off a lot, and it pops up a lot in the undo's.

Thank you.

David Gowers
2007-06-05 13:39:41 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

On 6/5/07, DJ wrote:

It does modify the image. The selection is considered part of the image. Compare it with paths -- you can modify them without effecting the appearance of the image, but they are still tracked in the undo stack.

The guiding principle here is just, I think, that being able to undo/redo selections is more useful than not being able to.. same as with paths. Certainly you can spend a great deal of time getting the right shape or blending in the selection.

"I know there is a layer mode for Dodge and Burn. But I don't want to apply it to the entire layer, just touch-up's, here and there, so I'll be able to click on the eye to see how it is improving the image."

It sounds like you should not be using the Dodge/Burn layer modes at all; Instead, try this:

1. Duplicate the background layer 2. Add a layer mask to the new layer. 3. Edit the layer mask so that its white (solid) areas match the areas you want dodge/burn to appear in, and the rest is black. 4. Use the Dodge/Burn tool on the new layer (not the mask -- be sure to click on the actual picture for that layer in the layers dialog before drawing. I've often been confused because I made that mistake.)

(you could also use what Elwin says: "However, I suppose you could duplicate the layer, then use that same selection, invert it, then cut away the part of the image you don't want to be affected" to achieve the same thing more simply. It all depends on how exactly you need to control the areas that dodge/burn is applied to. Using a layer mask is better if you need to make lots of adjustments.)

Elwin, you say: "What I usually do to spot adjust a single area is to make a selection around with the lasso tool. Then I turn on quickmask and gaussian blur
the mask to give it a nice soft edge. " You can save some time by just using the feather option of the lasso tool -- IIRC feathering is implemented by a gaussian blur, so the only advantage of applying blur manually in this case is if you want to use differing amounts of horizontal and vertical blur, or choose between IIR and RLE (In my experience for most cases the difference is barely detectable.)

Elwin Estle
2007-06-05 15:47:34 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Elwin, you say:
"What I usually do to spot adjust a single area is to make a selection around with the lasso tool. Then I turn on quickmask and gaussian blur
the mask to give it a nice soft edge. " You can save some time by just using the feather option of the lasso tool -- IIRC feathering is implemented by a gaussian blur, so the only advantage of applying blur manually in this case is if you want to use differing amounts of horizontal and vertical blur, or choose between IIR and RLE (In my experience for most cases the difference is barely detectable.)

The reason I do it that way, is that with the quickmask blur, you can see what you are gonna get beforehand, a "feathered selection preview" if you will. Whereas if you use the built in feathering of the selection tool, you don't know if your feathering amount was what you wanted until after the fact. I don't know how many times before I discovered the trick with blurring the quickmask, that I would feather a selection, discover that I either wanted it more or less feathered, then have to go through a bunch of undos and start all over again. This way, I usually only have to do things once.

DJ
2007-06-05 23:15:27 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi Elwin,

EE> You could do this several ways. What I usually do to spot adjust a single area is to EE> make a selection around with the lasso tool. Then I turn on quickmask and gaussian blur EE> the mask to give it a nice soft edge. Then I turn the mask back into a selection. Then EE> I used the curves tool to locally adjust the area that I want. I have never used the EE> dodge and burn layers for local stuff.

It didn't dawn on me that you could apply filters to the Quickmask. Neat.

Do you use the default settings for the gaussian blur?

Thank you.

Elwin Estle
2007-06-06 02:22:29 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

No...I usually blur it quite a bit, depending on how much I want to feather things.

You can pretty much use filters on anything (except paths. of course). Quickmask is just a special sort of temporary channel. You can get some interesting effects with things like the pick filter, etc.

You can also go into the channels dialog and duplicate the quickmask channel to save it for something else. Or just turn it back into a selection and then do Select>Save to channel and play with it that way.

The whole channels thing is kinda handy, you can use it to build up complex selections by working on parts of it individually.

--- DJ wrote:

Hi Elwin,

EE> You could do this several ways. What I usually do to spot adjust a single area is to
EE> make a selection around with the lasso tool. Then I turn on quickmask and gaussian blur
EE> the mask to give it a nice soft edge. Then I turn the mask back into a selection. Then
EE> I used the curves tool to locally adjust the area that I want. I have never used the
EE> dodge and burn layers for local stuff.

It didn't dawn on me that you could apply filters to the Quickmask. Neat.

Do you use the default settings for the gaussian blur?

Thank you.