RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

A tip of those who use GIMP in Windows

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

A tip of those who use GIMP in Windows Ben Walker 09 Mar 14:05
  A tip of those who use GIMP in Windows Philip Stubbs 10 Mar 00:48
   A tip of those who use GIMP in Windows Eric P 10 Mar 07:39
Ben Walker
2007-03-09 14:05:14 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

I have tried a number of different methods lately of making GIMP a little easier to use in Windows... I checked out the deweirdifyer plugin, but found it to be unstable. I also tried virtual desktops. I was not interested in GIMPShop, as it has nothing special going on there except that deweirdifyer plugin and rearranged menu items. I still look forward to the day when a major Windows based developer takes on the GIMPwin UI, which, as (like Sven has said many times) is not even at the level of the Linux versions. Anyway, perhaps a lot of you out there are doing this already, but I just tried something I never did before, which I found helps a lot.

GIMP has a dialog called "images", which most of you are probably aware of. Have you ever considered using it somewhat like the Windows taskbar? I have docked it to my main toolbox and use it to switch between open images as opposed to trying to locate the proper button on the taskbar. The image dialog offers previews, which are very helpful, and allows one to work with GIMP as if it were self-contained. Using this in conjunction with a virtual desktop leads to the best solution I have found so far.

Ben W.

Philip Stubbs
2007-03-10 00:48:29 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On 09/03/07, Ben Walker wrote:

GIMP has a dialog called "images", which most of you are probably aware of. Have you ever considered using it somewhat like the Windows taskbar? I have docked it to my main toolbox and use it to switch between open images as opposed to trying to locate the proper button on the taskbar. The image dialog offers previews, which are very helpful, and allows one to work with GIMP as if it were self-contained. Using this in conjunction with a virtual desktop leads to the best solution I have found so far.

That sounds useful. Thanks.

What I do at the moment is I have the main gimp window running down the right hand side of my screen, with all the dialogs docked in it. I arrange them in groups much the same as they appear in the dialogs menu. I cant stand it when there are multiple floating dialogs. Makes finding the correct window a real pain.

Eric P
2007-03-10 07:39:16 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Philip Stubbs wrote:

On 09/03/07, Ben Walker wrote:

Good tip. I've been using GIMP for years on Windows/Linux, and never noticed that dialog. I wish is was just a single click to bring up and image instead of a double-click. Then you could tie a keyboard shortcut to the dialog, and just single-click the image. Any reason it's a double-click? Any devs reading this?

What I do at the moment is I have the main gimp window running down the right hand side of my screen, with all the dialogs docked in it. I arrange them in groups much the same as they appear in the dialogs menu. I cant stand it when there are multiple floating dialogs. Makes finding the correct window a real pain.

That's exactly what I do as well. And I bounce around the dialogs with keyboard shortcuts. Works great. That along with VirtuaWin (virtual desktops) for Windows seems to keep things manageable on Windows.

EP