RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Slightly confusing GUI for selections

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Slightly confusing GUI for selections Mateusz Misiorny 26 Feb 19:40
  Slightly confusing GUI for selections Sven Neumann 26 Feb 19:44
Mateusz Misiorny
2007-02-26 19:40:14 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi all,

I am using 2.3.14 and had to make some precise rectangular selections. X/Y/Width/Height in tool options for selections are for that and they are great. There is one "quirk" though. The Width/Height naming is confusing. I had, say, a box 100px wide and then I wanted to _move_ it, so I changed the X and...it didn't move, it shrunk! Obviously back then (for someone who already knows) I didn't have the "Fix" option for width enabled. I just didn't notice it -- the label of the field, "Width", has so strong meaning that I just didn't look anywhere else if there is more to it. Width is width in the end, isn't it?

What I am trying to say is that while the "Fix" option is not enabled the label "Width" doesn't make sense. It should be "End X" or something (I cannot think of any nice term for that in English).

Do you agree?

I realize simple changing of labeling according to the state of "Fix" option is also confusing.
I think the best way to solve this is to have like a small radio buttons selection where you decide if you want to supply "Width" or "End X" of the selection.

What are your opinions on this?

Thanks, Matt

Sven Neumann
2007-02-26 19:44:15 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 10:40 -0800, Mateusz Misiorny wrote:

I am using 2.3.14 and had to make some precise rectangular selections.

The rectangle tools (rectangle/ellipse select and crop) in 2.3 are work in progress. The things you are commenting on are subject to change. A specification for these tools that has been posted to the gimp-developer list. If you are interested, please read it and send your comments to the developer list.

Sven