RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP won't support installed printer?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

16 of 17 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP won't support installed printer? Dave M G 23 Feb 09:57
  GIMP won't support installed printer? Jim Lynch 23 Feb 11:06
  GIMP won't support installed printer? Sven Neumann 23 Feb 18:30
   GIMP won't support installed printer? Jim Lynch 23 Feb 22:15
   GIMP won't support installed printer? Dave M G 24 Feb 02:56
    GIMP won't support installed printer? Akkana Peck 24 Feb 04:27
     GIMP won't support installed printer? Dave M G 24 Feb 07:12
      GIMP won't support installed printer? Doug 24 Feb 11:30
    GIMP won't support installed printer? Sven Neumann 24 Feb 15:49
     GIMP won't support installed printer? Dave M G 26 Feb 04:18
      GIMP won't support installed printer? Sven Neumann 26 Feb 18:55
      GIMP won't support installed printer? Matthias Julius 27 Feb 00:16
      GIMP won't support installed printer? Toby Haynes 27 Feb 01:50
       GIMP won't support installed printer? Dave M G 27 Feb 03:53
        GIMP won't support installed printer? Matthias Julius 27 Feb 20:16
         GIMP won't support installed printer? [SOLVED] Dave M G 28 Feb 00:33
45E53706.7010900@millbankco... Andy Coulson 28 Feb 09:02
Dave M G
2007-02-23 09:57:03 UTC (about 17 years ago)

GIMP Users,

I don't quite understand how printer support in GIMP/Gutenprint is handled.

I have my Canon Pixus iP3100 printer installed and working fin with Linux.

However, that particular model is not listed in the list of supported printers within GIMP.

I hope this question won't offend advocates of GIMP by sounding accusatory, because I am sincerely just wondering: why would I need specific support within GIMP for my printer when the drivers I've installed for CUPS/Linux provide printer support for every other application?

I certainly don't intend to start any heated threads on the matter. My basic motivation for asking is because I am getting strange behavior when trying to print from within GIMP, and I'm trying to determine where the root of the problem is.

Sometimes when I send an image, the printer flashes it's indicator light to signify that it's receiving data, but then prints nothing.

A couple of times it did print something. One time it printed much too large to fit within a single A4 page, the other time it squeezed everything down to half an A4 page.

So, since my printer isn't listed as officially supported by GIMP, does that mean I can't use it to print from GIMP?

If it is possible, are there extra steps I can take to ensure correct printing behavior?

Thank you for any information or advice.

Jim Lynch
2007-02-23 11:06:54 UTC (about 17 years ago)

I also have had a problem printing from Gimp. I attempted to print an image and for my efforts I received a floor full of paper, some completely blank, others with a line of garbage at the top of the page. I printed the same image by displaying it in firefox and used its print feature.

I never investigated it any further since I did get my picture, but I suspect someday I'll want to print directly from gimp so I'm very interested in following this thread.

Jim.

On 2/23/07, Dave M G wrote:

GIMP Users,

I don't quite understand how printer support in GIMP/Gutenprint is handled.

I have my Canon Pixus iP3100 printer installed and working fin with Linux.

However, that particular model is not listed in the list of supported printers within GIMP.

Sven Neumann
2007-02-23 18:30:34 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

it would help a lot of you would tell us what Print plug-in you are using. If things don't work, the reason might be that you are using the old gimp-print plug-in, while you should nowadays be using the GIMP plug-in that comes with gutenprint 5.0.

If you have questions regarding the gutenprint plug-in, please ask them on the gutenprint mailing-list.

Sven

Jim Lynch
2007-02-23 22:15:00 UTC (about 17 years ago)

I'll have to try again. Since then I've changed from SuSE to Centos for other reasons.

Jim.

On 2/23/07, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

it would help a lot of you would tell us what Print plug-in you are using. If things don't work, the reason might be that you are using the old gimp-print plug-in, while you should nowadays be using the GIMP plug-in that comes with gutenprint 5.0.

If you have questions regarding the gutenprint plug-in, please ask them on the gutenprint mailing-list.

Sven

Dave M G
2007-02-24 02:56:43 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Sven,

Thanks for responding.

it would help a lot of you would tell us what Print plug-in you are using.

It says I'm using "Gimp-Print" version 4.2.

However, when I check "Gimp-Print" with apt-get/Synaptic, it says I have version 5.0.0-2ubuntu2. In the description of the package, it says "This is Gutenprint version 5.0.0, a stable release in the 5.0 series."

I'm using Gimp 2.2.13, which should be recent and stable, and using Gutenprint.

I checked a little on the web, and the Gutenprint web site itself says "You may install both Gimp-Print 4.2.7 and Gutenprint 5.0 concurrently and choose which to use". Okay... but I can't find how to do that.

I don't think I even want Gimp-Print version 4.2 on my system, but in any case, how and where do I get Gimp to use the Gutenprint 5.0 drivers which seem to be installed, and not the Gimp Print 4.2 drivers?

(On a side note, when I scan my installed packages, I don't even see Gimp-Print 4.2. It seems like I *only* have Gutenprint 5.0 installed. So why is GIMP saying, in the "About" button in the print interface) that I'm using 4.2?

Akkana Peck
2007-02-24 04:27:16 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Dave M G writes:

(On a side note, when I scan my installed packages, I don't even see Gimp-Print 4.2. It seems like I *only* have Gutenprint 5.0 installed. So why is GIMP saying, in the "About" button in the print interface) that I'm using 4.2?

It might be that your GIMP is including an old gimp-print plug-in from 4.2, but the larger package which includes all the printer drivers is Gutenprint. A little checking with dpkg -S, dpkg -L and aptitude search might solve that mystery if you're on Ubuntu as your signature suggests. (I'd check here for you, but I have gutenprint built from source and have probably overwritten some of the original files.)

I think they're compatible (must be, if the distro installs them that way) but the experts who would know for sure aren't here; they're on the gimp-print/gutenprint devel list. https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gimp-print-devel They'd also be the ones who would know whether or not a particular printer model is supported. Glance at the archives first (at that same url) to see if anyone has talked about your printer model recently.

Dave M G
2007-02-24 07:12:49 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Akkana,

Thanks for responding.

ut the experts who would know for sure aren't here; they're on the gimp-print/gutenprint devel list.

No one on the GIMP mailing list knows how to make GIMP connect to the right printer driver?

Just to be clear here, my printer is working (with CUPS, anyway), and according to my repositories, I have Gutenprint 5.0 installed.

But GIMP is calling on Gimp-Print 4.2, and not showing any options to switch to Gutenprint 5.0.

Is it not therefore a GIMP issue?

Doug
2007-02-24 11:30:30 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Dave M G wrote:

Akkana,

Thanks for responding.

ut the experts who would know for sure aren't here; they're on the gimp-print/gutenprint devel list.

No one on the GIMP mailing list knows how to make GIMP connect to the right printer driver?

In the past I've moved my Gimp printer from gimp-print 4.2 to Turboprint and on to gutenprint 5.0 under Mandriva LE2005 (kernel 2.6.11-13); unfortunately I no longer remember the details, so that's no help. If nobody else can help, I'll try to resurrect them for you.

In any case, I've got to set about installing Gimp-gutenprint 5.0 on Mandriva 2007.0 (kernel 2.6.17-5), so maybe I'll find something useful in the process of doing that and report back.

Doug

Sven Neumann
2007-02-24 15:49:11 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Sat, 2007-02-24 at 10:56 +0900, Dave M G wrote:

It says I'm using "Gimp-Print" version 4.2.

However, when I check "Gimp-Print" with apt-get/Synaptic, it says I have version 5.0.0-2ubuntu2. In the description of the package, it says "This is Gutenprint version 5.0.0, a stable release in the 5.0 series."

I'm using Gimp 2.2.13, which should be recent and stable, and using Gutenprint.

It uses whatever print plug-in you installed. If you want to use the gutenprint plug-in, then get the GIMP plug-in from the gutenprint project. I think I already mentioned that.

Sven

Dave M G
2007-02-26 04:18:15 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Sven,

Thank you for responding.

It uses whatever print plug-in you installed. If you want to use the gutenprint plug-in, then get the GIMP plug-in from the gutenprint project. I think I already mentioned that.

And as I mentioned, I had already installed Gutenprint from within the Ubuntu repositories.

But just to be sure, I went to the Gutenprint project web page, and downloaded their .tar files, and installed that anyway using the "./configure" and "make install" process as described in the instructions.

And still, when I select to print from within GIMP, it and click the button that says "About", it says I'm using "GIMP-Print 4.2".

So, as far as I can tell, I've done everything to install Gutenprint on my system, but GIMP isn't giving me any indication that it's using the latest Gutenprint drivers.

So my question remains:

How do I get GIMP to use the Gutenprint plug in that I have installed?

(Actually, my real question is, "Why does GIMP, and only GIMP, need to use an entirely different set of printer drivers all it's own when every other application seems to be perfectly fine with the CUPS drivers that came with my distribution of Linux?". But I'm biting my tongue on that. All I care about is being able to print directly from GIMP.)

Sven Neumann
2007-02-26 18:55:34 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 12:18 +0900, Dave M G wrote:

And as I mentioned, I had already installed Gutenprint from within the Ubuntu repositories.

You installed the Gutenprint printer drivers, but not the GIMP plug-in that uses them.

But just to be sure, I went to the Gutenprint project web page, and downloaded their .tar files, and installed that anyway using the "./configure" and "make install" process as described in the instructions.

You should have read the instructions and enabled the GIMP plug-in.

(Actually, my real question is, "Why does GIMP, and only GIMP, need to use an entirely different set of printer drivers all it's own when every other application seems to be perfectly fine with the CUPS drivers that came with my distribution of Linux?". But I'm biting my tongue on that. All I care about is being able to print directly from GIMP.)

Because GIMP 2.2 predates the set of CUPS drivers that came with your distribution. That's why you are encouraged to install a newer GIMP plug-in. Due to the modular nature of GIMP this shouldn't be a problem. The real question here is, why oh why doesn't your distribution do this for you? That's a question that you should ask your distributor.

Sven

Matthias Julius
2007-02-27 00:16:57 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Dave M G writes:

And still, when I select to print from within GIMP, it and click the button that says "About", it says I'm using "GIMP-Print 4.2".

So, as far as I can tell, I've done everything to install Gutenprint on my system, but GIMP isn't giving me any indication that it's using the latest Gutenprint drivers.

I don't know Ubuntu, but in Debian (which is similar) there is a package called gimp-print which is at version 5.0.0-3 right now and contains the print plugin for Gimp. What version do you have installed?

Matthias

Toby Haynes
2007-02-27 01:50:19 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Dave M G wrote:

So my question remains:

How do I get GIMP to use the Gutenprint plug in that I have installed?

Open System->Synaptic and search "Names and Descriptions" for Gutenprint. You should see, amongst the other entries, gimp-print-5.0.0-2ubuntu2 or similar. That is what you need to install.

Cheers, Toby Haynes

Dave M G
2007-02-27 03:53:22 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Toby, Sven, Matthias,

Thank you all for responding.

Toby Haynes wrote:

Open System->Synaptic and search "Names and Descriptions" for Gutenprint. You should see, amongst the other entries, gimp-print-5.0.0-2ubuntu2 or similar. That is what you need to install.

What I have installed is: gimp-print 5.0.0-2ubuntu2, and it says:

"print plugin for the GIMP This package includes the Print plugin for the GIMP. This is Gutenprint version 5.0.0, a stable release in the 5.0 series."

And this has been installed from the beginning.

Sven Neumann wrote:

You installed the Gutenprint printer drivers, but not the GIMP plug-in that uses them. ...
You should have read the instructions and enabled the GIMP plug-in.

Can you please show me exactly what instructions you are referring to? I have seen nothing that says anything about how to "enable" the GIMP plug in.

Matthias Julius
2007-02-27 20:16:55 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Dave M G writes:

Toby, Sven, Matthias,

Thank you all for responding.

Toby Haynes wrote:

What I have installed is: gimp-print 5.0.0-2ubuntu2, and it says:

"print plugin for the GIMP This package includes the Print plugin for the GIMP. This is Gutenprint version 5.0.0, a stable release in the 5.0 series."

Did you ever install gimp-print 4.2 manually? If so, it still might be sitting around somewhere, possibly in /usr/local/lib/gimp or in $HOME/.gimp-2.2/plug-ins

Matthias

Dave M G
2007-02-28 00:33:44 UTC (about 17 years ago)

GIMP won't support installed printer? [SOLVED]

Matthias,

Thank you for responding.

In another thread, I was trying to be helpful to another user who was asking questions about GIMP-shop. I learned in that thread that GIMP-Shop is more than merely a skin or wrapper, but a different branch of development.

So it occurred to me that maybe the problem lay in that.

To make a long story short, after some web search, I found this, which solved the problem:

sudo cp /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/print /usr/local/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/print

Now, when I go to the print interface, and I click the "About" button, it says:

"Gutenprint version 5.0.0 - 22 Jul 2006"

Sweet.

My apologies to those who offered advice that might have been hindered by not knowing I was using GIMP-Shop. By not understanding exactly what GIMP-Shop was, I had neglected to consider its importance.

Now that I'm using Gutenprint, my images still aren't printing quite right. But, that is something I'll take directly to the Gutenprint team.

Thank you to everyone who participated in this thread to help me along, and to the GIMP mailing list in general for all its support.