RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Pan Tool keyboard shortcut

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

17 of 17 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Pan Tool keyboard shortcut Dave M G 21 Feb 09:31
  Pan Tool keyboard shortcut Anthony Ettinger 21 Feb 10:08
   Pan Tool keyboard shortcut Dave M G 21 Feb 11:25
    Pan Tool keyboard shortcut Alexander Rabtchevich 21 Feb 11:45
    Pan Tool keyboard shortcut Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 21 Feb 12:52
     Pan Tool keyboard shortcut Dave M G 24 Feb 02:37
      Pan Tool keyboard shortcut Sven Neumann 24 Feb 15:47
       Pan Tool keyboard shortcut Dave M G 27 Feb 08:59
        Pan Tool keyboard shortcut Claus Cyrny 27 Feb 13:21
         Pan Tool keyboard shortcut Dave M G 28 Feb 08:18
          Pan Tool keyboard shortcut Matthias Julius 28 Feb 15:29
           Pan Tool keyboard shortcut Dave M G 01 Mar 04:42
            Pan Tool keyboard shortcut David Gowers 01 Mar 14:50
             Pan Tool keyboard shortcut Dave M G 02 Mar 00:51
              Pan Tool keyboard shortcut David Gowers 02 Mar 02:51
               Pan Tool keyboard shortcut David Marrs 02 Mar 21:30
            Pan Tool keyboard shortcut Matthias Julius 01 Mar 14:50
Dave M G
2007-02-21 09:31:48 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Gimp Users,

So far as I can tell from looking at online help and experimentation with the interface, the only way to access the "pan" tool is to use the middle mouse button.

I have a pen tablet, and the button that acts as a "middle" mouse button is rather uncomfortable to use.

I'd like to access it with a keyboard shortcut, but the "pan" tool isn't listed among any existing keyboard shortcuts, nor is it listed in the commands available in "Preferences -> Interface -> Configure Keyboard Shortcuts".

How can I get keyboard access to the "pan" tool?

Anthony Ettinger
2007-02-21 10:08:45 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On 2/21/07, Dave M G wrote:

Gimp Users,

So far as I can tell from looking at online help and experimentation with the interface, the only way to access the "pan" tool is to use the middle mouse button.

I have a pen tablet, and the button that acts as a "middle" mouse button is rather uncomfortable to use.

I'd like to access it with a keyboard shortcut, but the "pan" tool isn't listed among any existing keyboard shortcuts, nor is it listed in the commands available in "Preferences -> Interface -> Configure Keyboard Shortcuts".

View-->Navigate Window

opens up a dialog box, in which you can use your arrow keys to pan around.

Dave M G
2007-02-21 11:25:36 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Anthony,

Thank you for your response.

View-->Navigate Window

That does allow one to move around an image, but it's not the same as having a keyboard shortcut. It requires moving away from the working area and back again. The arrow keys seem to only be effective if the mouse is in the navigator window.

Alexander Rabtchevich
2007-02-21 11:45:46 UTC (about 17 years ago)

The development version uses space for panning. It will be in 2.4 release.

View-->Navigate Window

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2007-02-21 12:52:16 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Wednesday 21 February 2007 07:25, Dave M G wrote:

Anthony,

Thank you for your response.

View-->Navigate Window

That does allow one to move around an image, but it's not the same as having a keyboard shortcut. It requires moving away from the working area and back again. The arrow keys seem to only be effective if the mouse is in the navigator window.

In the development version of the GIMP this feature ha been enabled by the default by using the space key..

The current gimp 2.2 behavior, of temporarily switching to the move tool will be available throught he preferences settings, though.

In gimp 2.2, another work-around is to click on the small square just to the right of the horizontal scroll bar.

js ->

Dave M G
2007-02-24 02:37:46 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Joao, Alexander,

Thank you for the advice that the next version of GIMP will allow me to pan around the image with the space bar.

However, I'm unclear as to why the pan tool exists now by clicking the "middle" mouse button, but I can't map it in any way to a keyboard shortcut.

I thought it was possible to map any existing tool to the keyboard. Is this not the case?

Sven Neumann
2007-02-24 15:47:04 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Sat, 2007-02-24 at 10:37 +0900, Dave M G wrote:

However, I'm unclear as to why the pan tool exists now by clicking the "middle" mouse button, but I can't map it in any way to a keyboard shortcut.

I thought it was possible to map any existing tool to the keyboard. Is this not the case?

Did you see a Pan tool somewhere in the toolbox or in the Tools menu? No, you didn't. Simply because there is no pan tool. Thus, you can't map it to an arbitrary key.

Sven

Dave M G
2007-02-27 08:59:11 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Sven,

Thank you, sort of, for responding.

Did you see a Pan tool somewhere in the toolbox or in the Tools menu? No, you didn't. Simply because there is no pan tool. Thus, you can't map it to an arbitrary key.

I see a Pan tool when I click one of the keys on my pen tablet. So I don't think it was a bad leap in logic to think that if there is something accessible by mouse and/or pen tablet, then it might also be potentially accessible by keyboard.

Beyond that, I understand you're trying to be helpful in your own way, but keep your sarcasm to yourself.

Claus Cyrny
2007-02-27 13:21:02 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi Dave,

Dave M G wrote:

Sven,

Thank you, sort of, for responding.

Did you see a Pan tool somewhere in the toolbox or in the Tools menu? No, you didn't.

you can pan by clicking on the middle mouse button (MMB) and then moving the cursor, which changes to a hand, around the image.

HTH,

Claus

Dave M G
2007-02-28 08:18:09 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Claus,

Thanks for responding.

you can pan by clicking on the middle mouse button (MMB) and then moving the cursor, which changes to a hand, around the image.

Actually, I had noticed that. But I don't use a mouse, I use a pen tablet, and the equivalent button on the pen stylus is not conveniently placed.

So I had hoped that I could make a keyboard shortcut to the same action that the middle mouse button does, but it seems that it's not possible.

It looks like the only way to get panning from the keyboard is to wait for GIMP version 2.4.

Matthias Julius
2007-02-28 15:29:25 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Dave M G writes:

Claus,

Thanks for responding.

Actually, I had noticed that. But I don't use a mouse, I use a pen tablet, and the equivalent button on the pen stylus is not conveniently placed.

So I had hoped that I could make a keyboard shortcut to the same action that the middle mouse button does, but it seems that it's not possible.

It looks like the only way to get panning from the keyboard is to wait for GIMP version 2.4.

Here (Gimp 2.2.0, Windows) I can pan using the cursor buttons. Cursor pans in small increments (pixels) and shift + cursor pans in large increments (window width/height). Doesn't it do the same on Linux?

Matthias

Dave M G
2007-03-01 04:42:16 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Matthias,

Thank you for responding.

Here (Gimp 2.2.0, Windows) I can pan using the cursor buttons. Cursor pans in small increments (pixels) and shift + cursor pans in large increments (window width/height). Doesn't it do the same on Linux?

I wasn't aware of this before, as I'm still very new to GIMP (if that wasn't already obvious).

Thanks for pointing this out to me. It's a workable solution until a keyboard shortcut for a pan tool becomes available.

The first thing I did after testing the arrow keys was to see if it was possible to adjust the increments of motion, as one pixel at a time is a little slow and window width/height is a kind of jarring. But I couldn't find any interface to adjust this in the preferences.

David Gowers
2007-03-01 14:50:10 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

On 3/1/07, Dave M G wrote:

Matthias,

Thank you for responding.

I wasn't aware of this before, as I'm still very new to GIMP (if that wasn't already obvious).

Thanks for pointing this out to me. It's a workable solution until a keyboard shortcut for a pan tool becomes available.

There is one (not reassignable) -- go to Preferences->image windows ->Space bar. Choose the 'pan view' option.

The first thing I did after testing the arrow keys was to see if it was

possible to adjust the increments of motion, as one pixel at a time is a little slow and window width/height is a kind of jarring. But I couldn't find any interface to adjust this in the preferences.

No, there isn't.

Matthias Julius
2007-03-01 14:50:19 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Dave M G writes:

The first thing I did after testing the arrow keys was to see if it was possible to adjust the increments of motion, as one pixel at a time is a little slow and window width/height is a kind of jarring. But I couldn't find any interface to adjust this in the preferences.

You can make the window smaller. ;-)

Matthias

Dave M G
2007-03-02 00:51:49 UTC (about 17 years ago)

David, Matthias,

Thank you guys for responding.

David Gowers wrote:

go to Preferences->image windows ->Space bar. Choose the 'pan view' option.

I've searched where you directed me to go, but I don't see this option in my preferences.

Under "Image Windows", I have "Use 'Dot for dot" by default, marching ants speed, Zoom and Resize behaviour options, Mouse cursor options like "Show brush outline", "Show paint tool cursor", and lastly, "Cursor mode" and "Cursor rendering".

But I can't see any reference to the space bar.

Is it not possible that you're using a pre-release version of 2.4 or something else? (I've got GIMP 2.2.11)

David Gowers
2007-03-02 02:51:08 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

On 3/2/07, Dave M G wrote:

Is it not possible that you're using a pre-release version of 2.4 or

something else? (I've got GIMP 2.2.11)

Oh. Yes. I'm using the latest version from the subversion repository. The feature I'm talking about was added in GIMP 2.3.12 (the latest release is 2.3.15)
.. I don't usually remember that some people seriously use software with less features in preference to using development releases.

David Marrs
2007-03-02 21:30:21 UTC (about 17 years ago)

David Gowers wrote:
2.3.12 (the latest release is

2.3.15)
... I don't usually remember that some people seriously use software with less features in preference to using development releases.

Well that's cos they're encouraged to. 2.2 is stable whereas 2.3 is unstable. Speaks for itself, really.