RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

X11; Welcome to Mac. No Yellow Cursor problem for you?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

14 of 14 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

X11 Orlando Figueiredo 21 Feb 08:13
  X11 Axel Wernicke 21 Feb 09:05
   X11 Orlando Figueiredo 21 Feb 09:16
    X11 Anthony Ettinger 21 Feb 10:05
    X11 Axel Wernicke 21 Feb 11:52
     X11 david 21 Feb 12:51
     X11 Orlando Figueiredo 21 Feb 13:11
      X11; Welcome to Mac. No Yellow Cursor problem for you? Kirk Tirakian 21 Feb 17:19
       X11; Welcome to Mac. No Yellow Cursor problem for you? Orlando Figueiredo 21 Feb 18:59
       X11; Welcome to Mac. No Yellow Cursor problem for you? Sven Neumann 23 Feb 00:01
        X11; Welcome to Mac. No Yellow Cursor problem for you? Kirk Tirakian 23 Feb 05:24
X11 Orlando Figueiredo 21 Feb 10:51
  X11 Kristian Rink 21 Feb 10:56
  X11 Anthony Ettinger 21 Feb 11:13
Orlando Figueiredo
2007-02-21 08:13:30 UTC (about 17 years ago)

X11

Cheers
When will GIMP (Mac version) release itself from X11? Orlando Figueiredo

Axel Wernicke
2007-02-21 09:05:20 UTC (about 17 years ago)

X11

Hi,

the answer is: never, because not GIMP is bound in no way to X11, but to the GTK. A stable GTK is unfortunately for Apples OS X only for an X11 backend available right now. But may be you can help the GTK project to finish their work on a native backend for OS X and help this to free GIMP from the X11 slavery on Apple OS X.

Thank you for listening.

lexA

-------- Original-Nachricht -------- Datum: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 07:13:30 +0000 Von: Orlando Figueiredo
An: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU CC:
Betreff: [Gimp-user] X11

Cheers

Orlando Figueiredo
2007-02-21 09:16:25 UTC (about 17 years ago)

X11

Thanks for helping me
The problem is that I am not a computer expert just a Mac user that can not copy images from another program to GIMP. But yes... I will be glad in helping the GTK project. I just do not know how.

Orlando Figueiredo _______________________
of1967@gmail.com
www.OrlandoFigueiredo.com

On Feb 21, 2007, at 8:05AM, Axel Wernicke wrote:

Hi,

the answer is: never, because not GIMP is bound in no way to X11, but to the GTK. A stable GTK is unfortunately for Apples OS X only for an X11 backend available right now. But may be you can help the GTK project to finish their work on a native backend for OS X and help this to free GIMP from the X11 slavery on Apple OS X.

Thank you for listening.

lexA

-------- Original-Nachricht -------- Datum: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 07:13:30 +0000 Von: Orlando Figueiredo

Cheers

Anthony Ettinger
2007-02-21 10:05:27 UTC (about 17 years ago)

X11

On 2/21/07, Orlando Figueiredo wrote:

Thanks for helping me
The problem is that I am not a computer expert just a Mac user that can not copy images from another program to GIMP. But yes... I will be glad in helping the GTK project. I just do not know how.

of1967@gmail.com

Hi,

Thank you for listening.

lexA

X11.app is a bit cumbersome, and only available on the Mac install CD. That being said, it's better than nothing at this point.

Orlando Figueiredo
2007-02-21 10:51:06 UTC (about 17 years ago)

X11

No doubt that X11 is better then nothing. But GIMP deserves better then X11. Don't you think so?
Thanks for helping me.

of1967@gmail.com

Kristian Rink
2007-02-21 10:56:15 UTC (about 17 years ago)

X11

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

[Orlando Figueiredo @ Wed, 21 Feb 2007 09:51:06 +0000]

No doubt that X11 is better then nothing. But GIMP deserves better then X11. Don't you think so?
Thanks for helping me.

Well... Not meant to be offending, but what on earth are you talking about? :)

Cheers,
Kris

-

Anthony Ettinger
2007-02-21 11:13:53 UTC (about 17 years ago)

X11

On 2/21/07, Orlando Figueiredo wrote:

Thanks for helping me.

I don't really see what the problem is with using X11.app (other than GIMP for Mac is a version or two behind).

Axel Wernicke
2007-02-21 11:52:03 UTC (about 17 years ago)

X11

Hi Orlando,

please don't get me wrong here. That the GIMP developer will "never" free GIMP from X11 on OS X is not caused by they (we) are not willing to do so, but simply by the fact that there is no direct connection between GIMP and X11 on the technical view.

May be I can althtough encourage you to give GIMP a chance on OS X (as I do day by day). Concerning the "getting images into" issue: You can D'n'D image files to the dock to open them and (IIRC) you can also transfer them using the clipboard. Please note, that you need to press Command-C to transfer to the clipboard, but Ctrl-V (!) to retrieve it on the (ugly) X11 side.

Don't hesitate to ask further questions anyways.

Greetings, lexA

-------- Original-Nachricht -------- Datum: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 08:16:25 +0000 Von: Orlando Figueiredo
An: "Axel Wernicke"
CC: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Betreff: Re: [Gimp-user] X11

Thanks for helping me

of1967@gmail.com

Hi,

Thank you for listening.

lexA

Cheers

david
2007-02-21 12:51:14 UTC (about 17 years ago)

X11

I would hate anyone to think that you can't use GIMP on Mac/X11... I do it every day without significant problems.

It's a linux-like environment so it feels slightly different. That's all. No sweat.

On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 11:52 +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:

Hi Orlando,

please don't get me wrong here. That the GIMP developer will "never" free GIMP from X11 on OS X is not caused by they (we) are not willing to do so, but simply by the fact that there is no direct connection between GIMP and X11 on the technical view.

May be I can althtough encourage you to give GIMP a chance on OS X (as I do day by day). Concerning the "getting images into" issue: You can D'n'D image files to the dock to open them and (IIRC) you can also transfer them using the clipboard. Please note, that you need to press Command-C to transfer to the clipboard, but Ctrl-V (!) to retrieve it on the (ugly) X11 side.

Greetings, lexA

-------- Original-Nachricht -------- Datum: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 08:16:25 +0000 Von: Orlando Figueiredo

Thanks for helping me

of1967@gmail.com

Hi,

Thank you for listening.

lexA

Cheers

Orlando Figueiredo
2007-02-21 13:11:42 UTC (about 17 years ago)

X11

Hi Alex
I am not getting you wrong. Don't worry. I apologize if I gave you that idea. I am a new Mac user... as many today I got tired of Microsoft crashes and computer slowing and allowing from MacAfee and all that crap. As and I do not have time to go to Linux because, as I told you, I am not a computer expert so I Turn into OS X and I am loving it.
When I was a slave of Bill Gates I was trying to free myself and allways used OpenSource Applications like OOo and GIMP. Now that I am on the Mac side I am finding it very pleasant. I found that OS X is a much pleasant OS then MS Windows. The only time that it crashed was when I was installing MS Messenger (I wonder why). I installed NeoOffice which is OOo free from X11. When I installed GIMP I had to face X11. As I told you I am a newbie to OS X and Gimp over X11 was not a very nice experience. And I got a little bit disapointed. You know MS Windows GIMP version works in the same shell as any other program. So I thought if OOo get free of X11 that was causing a few problems with copy/paste and bla bla bla... why not release Gimp too. So I decided to ask to someone who know better then me on this. I use Gimp for photography. In MS Windows I used it to make some photographic art (I hope) and I intend to keep doing it in Mac. I am a portuguese physics and chemistry teacher and an educational researcher who likes to take photos and work them in good free image manipulating software. I don't know if it is technically possible but if it is I will leave my appeal to all Gimp community... lets free Gimp from X11. Meanwhile I will use and love it as I always did. You can find some of my photographic work (made with GIMP - cropping, color etc... etc...etc...) on http://www.1000imagens.com/ orlandofigueiredo/ or in http://www.olhares.com/of1967/. Just don't expect too much. I am just an amateur. It is nice to chat with you and thanks for answering me, thanks for helping me and thanks from your contribute to develop Gimp - even in X11 ;).
Keep in touch
Orlando Figueiredo

On Feb 21, 2007, at 10:52AM, Axel Wernicke wrote:

Hi Orlando,

Greetings, lexA

Thanks for helping me

of1967@gmail.com

Hi,

Thank you for listening.

lexA

Cheers

Kirk Tirakian
2007-02-21 17:19:17 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Welcome to the Mac World Orlando.

No yellow cursor problem for you?

I am having the problem in spite of the fix offered up on this website:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060316124704289

I'm having the same problem as another individual on that page which I relate there if you care to look.

Best of luck,

Kirk On Feb 21, 2007, at 7:11 AM, Orlando Figueiredo wrote:

Hi Alex
I am not getting you wrong. Don't worry. I apologize if I gave you that idea. I am a new Mac user... as many today I got tired of Microsoft crashes and computer slowing and allowing from MacAfee and all that crap. As and I do not have time to go to Linux because, as I told you, I am not a computer expert so I Turn into OS X and I am loving it.
When I was a slave of Bill Gates I was trying to free myself and allways used OpenSource Applications like OOo and GIMP. Now that I am on the Mac side I am finding it very pleasant. I found that OS X is a much pleasant OS then MS Windows. The only time that it crashed was when I was installing MS Messenger (I wonder why). I installed NeoOffice which is OOo free from X11. When I installed GIMP I had to face X11. As I told you I am a newbie to OS X and Gimp over X11 was not a very nice experience. And I got a little bit disapointed. You know MS Windows GIMP version works in the same shell as any other program. So I thought if OOo get free of X11 that was causing a few problems with copy/paste and bla bla bla... why not release Gimp too. So I decided to ask to someone who know better then me on this. I use Gimp for photography. In MS Windows I used it to make some photographic art (I hope) and I intend to keep doing it in Mac. I am a portuguese physics and chemistry teacher and an educational researcher who likes to take photos and work them in good free image manipulating software. I don't know if it is technically possible but if it is I will leave my appeal to all Gimp community... lets free Gimp from X11. Meanwhile I will use and love it as I always did. You can find some of my photographic work (made with GIMP - cropping, color etc... etc...etc...) on http://www.1000imagens.com/orlandofigueiredo/ or in http://www.olhares.com/of1967/. Just don't expect too much. I am just an amateur.
It is nice to chat with you and thanks for answering me, thanks for helping me and thanks from your contribute to develop Gimp - even in X11 ;).
Keep in touch
Orlando Figueiredo

Hi Orlando,

Greetings, lexA

Thanks for helping me

of1967@gmail.com

Hi,

Thank you for listening.

lexA

Cheers

Orlando Figueiredo
2007-02-21 18:59:20 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Actually I noticed a yellow cursor when GIMP is running. But I didn't care that much. Thanks for the hint. Cheers

Orlando Figueiredo

On Feb 21, 2007, at 4:19PM, Kirk Tirakian wrote:

Welcome to the Mac World Orlando.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060316124704289

I'm having the same problem as another individual on that page which I relate there if you care to look.

Best of luck,

Kirk On Feb 21, 2007, at 7:11 AM, Orlando Figueiredo wrote:

Hi Alex
When I was a slave of Bill Gates I was trying to free myself and allways used OpenSource Applications like OOo and GIMP. Now that I am on the Mac side I am finding it very pleasant. I found that OS X is a much pleasant OS then MS Windows. The only time that it crashed was when I was installing MS Messenger (I wonder why). I installed NeoOffice which is OOo free from X11. When I installed GIMP I had to face X11. As I told you I am a newbie to OS X and Gimp over X11 was not a very nice experience. And I got a little bit disapointed. You know MS Windows GIMP version works in the same shell as any other program. So I thought if OOo get free of X11 that was causing a few problems with copy/ paste and bla bla bla... why not release Gimp too. So I decided to ask to someone who know better then me on this. I use Gimp for photography. In MS Windows I used it to make some photographic art (I hope) and I intend to keep doing it in Mac. I am a portuguese physics and chemistry teacher and an educational researcher who likes to take photos and work them in good free image manipulating software. I don't know if it is technically possible but if it is I will leave my appeal to all Gimp community... lets free Gimp from X11. Meanwhile I will use and love it as I always did. You can find some of my photographic work (made with GIMP - cropping, color etc... etc...etc...) on http://www.1000imagens.com/ orlandofigueiredo/ or in http://www.olhares.com/of1967/. Just don't expect too much. I am just an amateur. It is nice to chat with you and thanks for answering me, thanks for helping me and thanks from your contribute to develop Gimp - even in X11 ;).
Keep in touch
Orlando Figueiredo

Hi Orlando,

Greetings, lexA

Thanks for helping me

of1967@gmail.com

Hi,

the answer is: never, because not GIMP is bound in no way to X11, but to the GTK. A stable GTK is unfortunately for Apples OS X only
for an X11 backend available right now. But may be you can help the
GTK project to finish their work on a native backend for OS X and help this to free GIMP from the X11 slavery on Apple OS X.

Thank you for listening.

lexA

Cheers

Sven Neumann
2007-02-23 00:01:06 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 11:19 -0500, Kirk Tirakian wrote:

Disabling "Fancy Cursors" in the Preferences should work around the problem. Have you tried that?

Sven

Kirk Tirakian
2007-02-23 05:24:52 UTC (about 17 years ago)

I did not try that and having now done so can say it works!!!

Thanks for the tip.

Kirk On Feb 22, 2007, at 6:01 PM, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 11:19 -0500, Kirk Tirakian wrote:

Disabling "Fancy Cursors" in the Preferences should work around the problem. Have you tried that?

Sven