RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Size of "new" picture after selection gimp 2.2 vs. 2.3

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

13 of 13 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP throwing away TIFF tags Paul Surgeon 11 Feb 19:47
  GIMP throwing away TIFF tags Sven Neumann 12 Feb 08:42
  GIMP throwing away TIFF tags Olivier Ripoll 12 Feb 09:36
   GIMP throwing away TIFF tags Paul Surgeon 12 Feb 11:52
    GIMP throwing away TIFF tags scott s. 13 Feb 00:44
     GIMP throwing away TIFF tags Claus Cyrny 13 Feb 12:36
    GIMP throwing away TIFF tags Sven Neumann 13 Feb 09:22
     Size of "new" picture after selection gimp 2.2 vs. 2.3 eleonora46@gmx.net 13 Feb 10:19
      Size of "new" picture after selection gimp 2.2 vs. 2.3 Michael Schumacher 13 Feb 10:47
       Size of "new" picture after selection gimp 2.2 vs. 2.3 Michael Schumacher 13 Feb 10:48
       Size of "new" picture after selection gimp 2.2 vs. 2.3 Matthias Julius 13 Feb 14:55
       Size of "new" picture after selection gimp 2.2 vs. 2.3 eleonora46@gmx.net 13 Feb 21:05
      Size of "new" picture after selection gimp 2.2 vs. 2.3 Michael Schumacher 13 Feb 19:55
Paul Surgeon
2007-02-11 19:47:56 UTC (over 17 years ago)

GIMP throwing away TIFF tags

Is there some way to tell GIMP to preserve TIFF tags even if they're not known?
If not can I file this as a bug? Tags shouldn't just be thrown away.

Paul

Sven Neumann
2007-02-12 08:42:00 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 20:47 +0200, Paul Surgeon wrote:

Who says so? Can you point me to the part of the TIFF spec that defines how unsupported tags are supposed to be handled?

Sven

Olivier Ripoll
2007-02-12 09:36:08 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Paul Surgeon wrote:

Paul

Hi Paul,

To complement Sven's reply, I would just add that the TIFF specification, section 7, page 26, recommends that TIFF editors ("applications that modify TIFF files") discards tags/fields/IFD they do not understand. To be more precise, the wording is:

"It is unnecessary—and possibly dangerous—for an editor to copy fields it does not understand because the editor might alter the file in a way that is incompatible with the unknown fields."

Best regards,

Olivier

Paul Surgeon
2007-02-12 11:52:14 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Monday 12 February 2007 10:36, Olivier Ripoll wrote:

To complement Sven's reply, I would just add that the TIFF specification, section 7, page 26, recommends that TIFF editors ("applications that modify TIFF files") discards tags/fields/IFD they do not understand. To be more precise, the wording is:

"It is unnecessary—and possibly dangerous—for an editor to copy fields it does not understand because the editor might alter the file in a way that is incompatible with the unknown fields."

Best regards,

Olivier

Ok so let's throw the tags away.
Is there anyway to get GIMP to use libgeotiff instead of libtiff? libgeotiff is built on top of libtiff. I have to touch up hundreds of aerial photos and it's a PITA to have to save and then reapply the projection every time I save an image in GIMP.

Avenza Systems sell a Photoshop CS plugin called "Geographic Imager" that handles GIS formats but it also does far more than what I need and am willing to pay for ($600).

Paul

scott s.
2007-02-13 00:44:50 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Paul Surgeon wrote:

Is there anyway to get GIMP to use libgeotiff instead of libtiff? libgeotiff is built on top of libtiff. I have to touch up hundreds of aerial photos and it's a PITA to have to save and then reapply the projection every time I save an image in GIMP.

Avenza Systems sell a Photoshop CS plugin called "Geographic Imager" that handles GIS formats but it also does far more than what I need and am willing to pay for ($600).

I also wish there was an option to keep Geotiff tags in images. At least the current
version of GIMP I use only raises 3 errors, vs the many errors I got in the past.
IIRC the last time I asked about it I was told to write my own plugin.

scott s. .

Sven Neumann
2007-02-13 09:22:33 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 12:52 +0200, Paul Surgeon wrote:

I have to touch up hundreds of aerial photos and it's a PITA to have to save and then reapply the projection every time I save an image in GIMP.

We would accept a patch that changes the TIFF plug-in so that geographic tags are attached to the image and saved with the TIFF file when it is saved again. As long as this patch makes sure that GIMP doesn't alter any information that is stored in these tags, that should be fine.

Sven

eleonora46@gmx.net
2007-02-13 10:19:49 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Dear All,

In gimp 2.2 when I selected a rectangle, and after that selected a new picture using ctrl-n, the size of the new picture was the the size of the selected triangle, which was very handy.

In gimp 2.3, the size of the new picture is fixed, and is not related to the selected rectangle; this forces the user to find out the rectangle's size, and set up the right size manually, which is clearly a step backwards. Will this be improved (as it was in 2.2) in a new version?

-eleonora

Michael Schumacher
2007-02-13 10:47:26 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Von: eleonora46@gmx.net

In gimp 2.3, the size of the new picture is fixed, and is not related to the selected rectangle; this forces the user to find out the rectangle's size, and set up the right size manually, which is clearly a step backwards. Will this be improved (as it was in 2.2) in a new version?

No. The behavior of File->Open is intentional, the old "come up with old values" was not obvious to many users because they didn't reagrd copying as something that could alter the default values.

Creating a new image from the content of the clipboard has become more straight-forward in GIMP 2.3, actually. Use "File->Acquire->Paste as New" or "Edit->Paste as->New Image" to get there in one step.

HTH, Michael

Michael Schumacher
2007-02-13 10:48:37 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Von: "Michael Schumacher"

No. The behavior of File->Open

That's File->New, of course.

Michael

Claus Cyrny
2007-02-13 12:36:20 UTC (over 17 years ago)

scott s. wrote:

Paul Surgeon wrote:

I also wish there was an option to keep Geotiff tags in images. At least the current
version of GIMP I use only raises 3 errors, vs the many errors I got in the past.
IIRC the last time I asked about it I was told to write my own plugin.

scott s. .

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Maybe 'listgeo'
could help you on that. Found it via Google.
Claus

Matthias Julius
2007-02-13 14:55:42 UTC (over 17 years ago)

"Michael Schumacher" writes:

Creating a new image from the content of the clipboard has become more straight-forward in GIMP 2.3, actually. Use "File->Acquire->Paste as New" or "Edit->Paste as->New Image" to get there in one step.

Actually, these options are in 2.2 already.

Matthias

Michael Schumacher
2007-02-13 19:55:01 UTC (over 17 years ago)

eleonora46@gmx.net wrote:

Dear All,

BTW: you should not reply to mailing list messages if you want to start a new topic. This does interfere with threading in mailclients.

HTH, Michael

eleonora46@gmx.net
2007-02-13 21:05:07 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Thanks, edit->paste as->new image works well.

-eleonora

Betreff: Re: [Gimp-user] Size of "new" picture after selection gimp 2.2 vs. 2.3

Von: eleonora46@gmx.net

In gimp 2.3, the size of the new picture is fixed, and is not related to the selected rectangle; this forces the user to find out the rectangle's size, and set up the right size manually, which is clearly a step

backwards.

Will this be improved (as it was in 2.2) in a new version?

No. The behavior of File->Open is intentional, the old "come up with old values" was not obvious to many users because they didn't reagrd copying as something that could alter the default values.

HTH, Michael