RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Recording translation and rotation information

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Recording translation and rotation information Jean-Philippe Drécourt 10 Feb 09:34
  Recording translation and rotation information Sven Neumann 10 Feb 10:48
Jean-Philippe Drécourt
2007-02-10 09:34:39 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Dear Gimp users,

Short version: I'm trying to record the translation and rotation information of a given layer for later use with a script or another program. Is this possible in GIMP?

Long version: I doing some photo collage the way David Hockney does (if you don't know his work, check
http://www.artchive.com/artchive/H/hockney/pearblsm.jpg.html ). But instead of taking 100s of real pictures, I have digital data. For each picture, I'm creating a layer, and the only action I'll do is translation and rotation. Because of the number of pictures, it becpùes quickly impossible to work with the full resolution pictures. I'd like to be able to work on lower resolution pictures, record the translation and rotation of each layer from the centre of the image (that is the single translation and rotation instruction that will get me from the layer centered in the middle of the image to the adjusted position). Then I want to reuse this information to create a full resolution image using batch processing (I have already a script for that part in script-fu), so I can go on with my life while the computer is crunching.

Any ideas? Right now I'm recording the new size of the layer after rotation as well as it's position on the screen and thanks to trigonometry, I get the angle back. The problem is: This is quite unprecise and gives me the choice between four different angles, so it doesn't work so well.

Thanks in advance.

Jean-Philippe

Sven Neumann
2007-02-10 10:48:27 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 08:34 +0000, Jean-Philippe Drécourt wrote:

Short version: I'm trying to record the translation and rotation information of a given layer for later use with a script or another program. Is this possible in GIMP?

I don't think there's a way to do that besides looking at the values that you apply with the transform tools, writing them down and entering them into your script later.

Our idea is that GIMP will eventually allow you to to store all editing information so that you can apply it later to other images (that may even be of different size). That's not yet possible though.

Sven