RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Points cloud images in GIMP

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Points cloud images in GIMP Enrico Galletti 02 Feb 18:27
  Points cloud images in GIMP Raphaël Quinet 02 Feb 19:55
Enrico Galletti
2007-02-02 18:27:50 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi everyone,
is there any tool in GIMP to convert a grey-scale image into a black&white (1 bit bitmap) points cloud image, i.e. an image where the grey scale is given by density of dark points ? many thanks,
Enrico

Raphaël Quinet
2007-02-02 19:55:32 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 18:27:50 +0100, Enrico Galletti wrote:

Hi everyone,
is there any tool in GIMP to convert a grey-scale image into a black&white (1 bit bitmap) points cloud image, i.e. an image where the grey scale is given by density of dark points ?

This can be done with a simple conversion to black and white with dithering enabled:
- select Image->Mode->Indexed
- for the colormap, choose black and white (1-bit) - for dithering, select Floyd-Steinberg dithering - click "Convert" and you will get your black and white dots

If the resolution of your image is not sufficient to get nice clouds, the you can scale up the image before converting it to black and white. So you would go to Image->Scale Image and double or triple the width and height before going to Image->Mode->Indexed.

You may also want to play with the overall brightness or contrast of the image before converting it to black and white. You can play with Colors->Curves or Colors->Levels.

Another option is to use the Newsprint plug-in. You can find it in Filters->Distorts->Newsprint, although I doubt that this is exactly what you are looking for.

-Raphaël