RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

An interesting comparison of Gimp and Photoshop.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

An interesting comparison of Gimp and Photoshop. Robin Laing 17 Jan 19:14
  An interesting comparison of Gimp and Photoshop. John R. Culleton 17 Jan 21:44
Robin Laing
2007-01-17 19:14:45 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Is the Gimp just as good as Photoshop?

Yes, for the average home user, the Gimp is just as good as Photoshop. The gimp has layers, alpha channels, a robust plugin architecture, I could go on but they have a pretty good overview of what the Gimp is capable of at Gimp.org.

Gimp vs. Photoshop http://grimthing.com/archives/2007/01/11/Gimp_vs_Photoshop/

So, who wins?

I'm about to tell you, geez... don't get your panties in a bunch.

The winner for commercial printing – Photoshop.

The winner for home use – The Gimp. -----------
I feel that the author would have given Gimp success in the commercial field as well if The Gimp supported CMYK and/or PANTONE. There is an example of converting RGB to CMYK in Photoshop and the problems that creep in.

Just thought I would share.

John R. Culleton
2007-01-17 21:44:08 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Wednesday 17 January 2007 13:14, Robin Laing wrote:

Is the Gimp just as good as Photoshop?

Yes, for the average home user, the Gimp is just as good as Photoshop. The gimp has layers, alpha channels, a robust plugin architecture, I could go on but they have a pretty good overview of what the Gimp is capable of at Gimp.org.

The big difference is the limited CMYK capability (though that is improving.) For book covers etc. CMYK color model is required. I look forward to 2.4.