RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Comic patterns for the Gimp?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Comic patterns for the Gimp? Rachael H. 15 Jan 06:31
  Comic patterns for the Gimp? David Gowers 15 Jan 14:04
Rachael H.
2007-01-15 06:31:31 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hello! I'm a long time lurker here on the list. I created a webcomic that I use the Gimp to create the bubbles and any other editing. I'm curious if anyone has created their own patterns for word bubbles? If so any one out there who is willing to share?

I've been creating the bubbles by using the "ellipital tool" to draw the main circle, then the "create and edit path" tool to make the point toward the character. The hard part is filling the point part. Patterns are faster to work with than having to manually make the bubbles. Wondering if anyone else has done this or maybe know some websites out there on creating word bubbles.

Here's a sample of what I'm working on: http://www.kittytreats.org/coppermine/albums/userpics/10001/MT-sample.jpg

Thanks for reading!

David Gowers
2007-01-15 14:04:07 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On 1/15/07, Rachael H. wrote:

Hello! I'm a long time lurker here on the list. I created a webcomic that I use the Gimp to create the bubbles and any other editing. I'm curious if anyone has created their own patterns for word bubbles? If so any one out there who is willing to share?

I've been creating the bubbles by using the "ellipital tool" to draw the main circle, then the "create and edit path" tool to make the point toward the character. The hard part is filling the point part.

Why? Add the two together (the ellipse, and path), then fill and stroke the result.

Like this:

* Make the ellipse selection * Make the path (usually it only needs three points -- remember, it's automatically closed,
so
>
equates to
|> (roughly -- that may make more or less sense depending on the font you read this with)
).
* /Add to Selection
* Fill selection with white
* Selection to path
* Select->None
* Edit->Stroke path (with black)

If I needed to do it a lot, I would write a script that performed the last 5 steps for me. Then it would take merely 3 steps in total to draw a balloon. I believe you will find the above is faster than anything you can do with patterns.
I can churn out roughly one per minute using that method, without any scripting.