RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp file size explosion

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp file size explosion Anonymous User 04 Jan 02:13
  Gimp file size explosion David Gowers 04 Jan 04:34
  Gimp file size explosion dennis 04 Jan 19:47
  Gimp file size explosion Sven Neumann 04 Jan 20:50
Gimp file size explosion Anonymous User 05 Jan 00:33
Anonymous User
2007-01-04 02:13:55 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Gimp file size explosion

Hi!

I am using GIMP to clean up and crop some scanned files stored in TIFF format. The files are 50-60KB, but upon cropping GIMP increases their size to 120KB! Even simply open-save increases the file size to 130KB or so. I am quite perplexed! Any explanation will be gratefully acknowledged.

PS: The file size of 120KB is after converting to 1 bit indexed format and flattened plus using LZW compression. Otherwise, simple "save" results in a staggering 10MB file size.

David Gowers
2007-01-04 04:34:00 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Gimp file size explosion

On 1/4/07, Anonymous User wrote:

Hi!

I am using GIMP to clean up and crop some scanned files stored in TIFF format. The files are 50-60KB, but upon cropping GIMP increases their size to 120KB! Even simply open-save increases the file size to 130KB or so. I am quite perplexed! Any explanation will be gratefully acknowledged.

PS: The file size of 120KB is after converting to 1 bit indexed format and flattened plus using LZW compression. Otherwise, simple "save" results in a staggering 10MB file size.

You have omitted key information: What are the dimensions of the image?

dennis
2007-01-04 19:47:34 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Gimp file size explosion

did you save in tiff format and did you enable compression? Default the tiff dialog might select 'no compression', you might want to try LZW compression.

Gr,
Dennis.

Anonymous User wrote:

Hi!

Sven Neumann
2007-01-04 20:50:27 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Gimp file size explosion

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 20:13 -0500, Anonymous User wrote:

Hi!

The TIFF plug-in in GIMP 2.2 doesn't save 1bit images in the most efficient way, see bug #150865. This has been improved in the development version.

Sven

Anonymous User
2007-01-05 00:33:35 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Gimp file size explosion

Thank you very much. Thanks for GIMP! --- On Thu 01/04, Sven Neumann < sven@gimp.org > wrote:From: Sven Neumann [mailto: sven@gimp.org]To: nospam@space.com Cc: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDUDate: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 20:50:27 +0100Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp file size explosionHi,On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 20:13 -0500, Anonymous User wrote:> Hi!> > I am using GIMP to clean up and crop some scanned files stored in TIFF format. The files are 50-60KB, but upon cropping GIMP increases their size to 120KB! Even simply open-save increases the file size to 130KB or so. I am quite perplexed! Any explanation will be gratefully acknowledged. The TIFF plug-in in GIMP 2.2 doesn't save 1bit images in the mostefficient way, see bug #150865. This has been improved in thedevelopment version.Sven_______________________________________________Gimp-user mailing listGimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.E DUhttps://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user