RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How to get "step" gradient

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How to get "step" gradient Tonio 03 Jan 22:24
  How to get "step" gradient Ben Walker 03 Jan 22:38
  How to get "step" gradient Shawn Willden 03 Jan 23:53
   How to get "step" gradient David Gowers 04 Jan 04:31
Tonio
2007-01-03 22:24:17 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

The gradient tool usually makes a smooth gradient from start color to end color.

Is it possible to make the gradient colors go in steps, i.e. so it won't be smooth, but kind of bands of colors, (from start color to end color with jumps in between).

Thanks
Rael

___

Ben Walker
2007-01-03 22:38:10 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Tonio wrote:

Hi,

The gradient tool usually makes a smooth gradient from start color to end color.

Is it possible to make the gradient colors go in steps, i.e. so it won't be smooth, but kind of bands of colors, (from start color to end color with jumps in between).

Thanks
Rael

You could create the gradient first and then pixelize it. This, however, will only create the effect that you describe for horz./vert. gradients, and not diagonal ones (unless you create a vertical one and rotate it). This was just the first idea to hit me; perhaps someone else has a better one.

Ben W.

Shawn Willden
2007-01-03 23:53:45 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Wednesday 03 January 2007 14:24, Tonio wrote:

Posterise might do it for you. Create a regular, smooth gradient and then use Layer->Colors->Posterise. Turn on preview and drag the levels slider around to get the number of steps and widths of bands you want.

Shawn.

David Gowers
2007-01-04 04:31:22 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Personally, I have a plugin which finds the FG and BG colors in the current palette, and builds a 'stepped' gradient going from FG->BG or vice versa. If you will be wanting to use stepped gradients a lot, I recommend it.

You can make a stepped gradient manually like this:

*Duplicate the FG->BG gradient *Split it into however many parts you want *Select all segments and set them to RGB blending mode *For each segment, 'Left Color->Load left color from right endpoint'

There is one other approach, which works if the gradient is drawn on a separate layer or its pixels are otherwise isolated..

* Draw the gradient (it must be black->white rather than your intended result)
* either:
* Make/select a palette with as many colors as you want in the gradient, then use the 'colors->map->palette map' filter (in 2.3.x+) * Posterize the greyscales to match the number of steps, then gradient map it with the gradient you want to use (gradient map uses the currently selected gradient, there is not prompting)

On 1/4/07, Shawn Willden wrote:

On Wednesday 03 January 2007 14:24, Tonio wrote: