RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Paintbrush Tool Suggestion

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Paintbrush Tool Suggestion Raeth 23 Dec 21:06
  Paintbrush Tool Suggestion Stephan Hegel 24 Dec 07:45
  Paintbrush Tool Suggestion Sven Neumann 24 Dec 12:19
   Paintbrush Tool Suggestion Raeth 27 Dec 14:23
    Paintbrush Tool Suggestion Sven Neumann 27 Dec 21:36
     Paintbrush Tool Suggestion Raeth 27 Dec 23:15
      Paintbrush Tool Suggestion Raeth 27 Dec 23:33
      Paintbrush Tool Suggestion Sven Neumann 28 Dec 11:34
Raeth
2006-12-23 21:06:29 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Greetings,

When painting beneath lineart, I typically use the paintbrush tool set to a 100% hard brush and size variation. In GIMP I found the Paintbrush tool to be a bit inaccurate, which slowed down my process of blocking in colour.

Due to this I tried blocking with the Ink tool and found it seemed not only more accurate, but produced a smoother size change with the tablet's pressure.

See comparison: http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h243/Sliskerm/ink_paintbrush.png

I was wondering if it would be possible to somehow merge the Ink and the Paintbrush tools (I'm not a programmer) so that one could paint with the varying size and/or opacity of the Paintbrush combined with the accuracy and smoothness of the Ink tool.

In other words: Give the ink tool more pressure sensivity options and call it the new paintbrush tool.

I have no idea how possible this would be, but it would be a great improvement to the GIMP's painting abilities.

Raeth

Stephan Hegel
2006-12-24 07:45:41 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi Raeth,

May I ask what Ink tool settings you have used to achieve such smooth lines ?

Thanks & kind regards, Stephan.

Raeth wrote:

Greetings,

When painting beneath lineart, I typically use the paintbrush tool set to a 100% hard brush and size variation. In GIMP I found the Paintbrush tool to be a bit inaccurate, which slowed down my process of blocking in colour.

Due to this I tried blocking with the Ink tool and found it seemed not only more accurate, but produced a smoother size change with the tablet's pressure.

See comparison: http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h243/Sliskerm/ink_paintbrush.png

I was wondering if it would be possible to somehow merge the Ink and the Paintbrush tools (I'm not a programmer) so that one could paint with the varying size and/or opacity of the Paintbrush combined with the accuracy and smoothness of the Ink tool.

In other words: Give the ink tool more pressure sensivity options and call it the new paintbrush tool.

I have no idea how possible this would be, but it would be a great improvement to the GIMP's painting abilities.

Raeth

Sven Neumann
2006-12-24 12:19:33 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Sat, 2006-12-23 at 20:06 +0000, Raeth wrote:

No, that is not possible. The two tools work completely differently. The paintbrush stamps the brush repeatedly on the canvase to create a brush stroke. The ink tool however calculates the outline of the brush stroke based on geometry and movement of the brush tip. This stroke outline is then filled using a solid color. Both concepts have advantages and disadvantages.

May I ask what options exactly you are missing in the Ink tool?

Sven

Raeth
2006-12-27 14:23:50 UTC (over 17 years ago)

The ink tool can only change size (with pressure variation) whereas the paintbrush tool can change size, opacity, hardness and colour. Opacity is very useful for hard-brushing- an oil-paint-like effect.

Raeth

On 12/24/06, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Sat, 2006-12-23 at 20:06 +0000, Raeth wrote:

No, that is not possible. The two tools work completely differently. The paintbrush stamps the brush repeatedly on the canvase to create a brush stroke. The ink tool however calculates the outline of the brush stroke based on geometry and movement of the brush tip. This stroke outline is then filled using a solid color. Both concepts have advantages and disadvantages.

May I ask what options exactly you are missing in the Ink tool?

Sven

Sven Neumann
2006-12-27 21:36:10 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 13:23 +0000, Raeth wrote:

The ink tool can only change size (with pressure variation)

Speed of the brush movement as well as tilt of the stylus also affect the shape of the ink strokes.

Sven

Raeth
2006-12-27 23:15:26 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Indeed, but the fact is it only affects the opaque properties. Granted we can't just glue the paintbrush and ink tool together, perhaps the ink tool can be modified so that the geometric "brush" changes alpha aswell as (and instead of) size?

Raeth

On 12/27/06, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 13:23 +0000, Raeth wrote:

The ink tool can only change size (with pressure variation)

Speed of the brush movement as well as tilt of the stylus also affect the shape of the ink strokes.

Sven

Raeth
2006-12-27 23:33:29 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Here's an illustration of what the ink tool does right now, and what I feel the ink tool could be made to do- or how the paintbrush tool should look.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h243/Sliskerm/inkbrush.png

Raeth

Sven Neumann
2006-12-28 11:34:16 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 22:15 +0000, Raeth wrote:

Indeed, but the fact is it only affects the opaque properties. Granted we can't just glue the paintbrush and ink tool together, perhaps the ink tool can be modified so that the geometric "brush" changes alpha aswell as (and instead of) size?

You still don't understand how the ink tool works. What you are asking for is not compatible with the fundamental principles of how the ink tool works.

It would be possible to extend the paintbrush to behave more like what you suggested. But then, this has been suggested quite often already. Someone needs to write the code.

Sven