RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

miror image

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

miror image Alexis Everson 17 Dec 20:12
  miror image Anthony Ettinger 17 Dec 20:16
  miror image Marco Wessel 17 Dec 20:19
   miror image norman 17 Dec 20:36
    miror image Marco Wessel 18 Dec 03:45
     miror image norman 18 Dec 09:48
      miror image David Marrs 19 Dec 00:54
Alexis Everson
2006-12-17 20:12:48 UTC (over 17 years ago)

miror image

Can anyone tell me please if there is an opton to mirror an image rather than just flipping it.

I want to put a graphic on the other side of a banner and flipping it makes the letters backwards. A mirror image would make them the right way around after flipping.

Thanks, Alexis

Anthony Ettinger
2006-12-17 20:16:10 UTC (over 17 years ago)

miror image

You can use the tool to reposition it: "Change Perspective of Layer"

On 12/17/06, Alexis Everson wrote:

Can anyone tell me please if there is an opton to mirror an image rather than just flipping it.

I want to put a graphic on the other side of a banner and flipping it makes the letters backwards. A mirror image would make them the right way around after flipping.

Thanks, Alexis
_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Marco Wessel
2006-12-17 20:19:28 UTC (over 17 years ago)

miror image

On Dec 17, 2006, at 8:12 PM, Alexis Everson wrote:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but a flip and a mirror are exactly the same. To demonstrate, write something on a piece of paper, stand in front of a mirror and look at the piece of paper while you hold it up. This is the mirror, obviously. Now flip the piece of paper and hold it up against the light. Same thing.

Regards,

Marco

norman
2006-12-17 20:36:44 UTC (over 17 years ago)

miror image

On Sun, 2006-12-17 at 20:19 +0100, Marco Wessel wrote:

On Dec 17, 2006, at 8:12 PM, Alexis Everson wrote:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but a flip and a mirror are exactly the same. To demonstrate, write something on a piece of paper, stand in front of a mirror and look at the piece of paper while you hold it up. This is the mirror, obviously. Now flip the piece of paper and hold it up against the light. Same thing.

Sorry, but I must disagree. If I look into a mirror my right side is still on the right. If I could flip, then my right side would be on the left.

Norman

Marco Wessel
2006-12-18 03:45:05 UTC (over 17 years ago)

miror image

On Dec 17, 2006, at 8:36 PM, norman wrote:

Sorry, but I must disagree. If I look into a mirror my right side is still on the right. If I could flip, then my right side would be on the
left.

Uh, no. Think of that person in the mirror as someone else for a bit and forget the mirror is even there. If you were raising your right hand, then that person would be raising his left hand. Maybe it'd be even clearer if you stood across from someone and both raised your right hands. You'd find the other person's hand would be on your left side. Mirrors flip left and right. Always have, always will. Any text held up to a mirror would come out the same was as were it flipped. Take a flipped image, hold it up to a mirror and you can see what the image was like before the flipping.

norman
2006-12-18 09:48:30 UTC (over 17 years ago)

miror image

On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 03:45 +0100, Marco Wessel wrote:

On Dec 17, 2006, at 8:36 PM, norman wrote:

Sorry, but I must disagree. If I look into a mirror my right side is still on the right. If I could flip, then my right side would be on the
left.

Uh, no. Think of that person in the mirror as someone else for a bit and forget the mirror is even there. If you were raising your right hand, then that person would be raising his left hand. Maybe it'd be even clearer if you stood across from someone and both raised your right hands. You'd find the other person's hand would be on your left side. Mirrors flip left and right. Always have, always will. Any text held up to a mirror would come out the same was as were it flipped. Take a flipped image, hold it up to a mirror and you can see what the image was like before the flipping.

OK I give in. It is laterally inverted which gets away from the mention of a mirror.

Norman

David Marrs
2006-12-19 00:54:11 UTC (over 17 years ago)

miror image

norman wrote:

OK I give in. It is laterally inverted

More commonly known as "flipped" =p