RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

plugins for photographers

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

16 of 17 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

plugins for photographers Fabrizio Lippolis 13 Dec 12:53
  plugins for photographers norman 13 Dec 13:13
  plugins for photographers Alexander Rabtchevich 13 Dec 13:55
   plugins for photographers Fabrizio Lippolis 14 Dec 09:50
    plugins for photographers Alexander Rabtchevich 14 Dec 14:48
    plugins for photographers GSR - FR 14 Dec 23:04
   plugins for photographers Norman Walsh 23 Jan 14:49
  plugins for photographers Fabien3D 17 Dec 16:39
  plugins for photographers Fabien3D 17 Dec 19:03
   plugins for photographers David Hodson 18 Dec 13:41
    plugins for photographers Andrew Swinn 18 Dec 23:31
7b0bd61a0612130941r19ed6141... 07 Oct 20:18
  plugins for photographers Luca de Alfaro 13 Dec 22:02
   plugins for photographers Sven Neumann 13 Dec 22:13
    plugins for photographers Luca de Alfaro 13 Dec 23:01
   plugins for photographers Øyvind Kolås 14 Dec 12:43
  plugins for photographers Alexander Rabtchevich 14 Dec 12:11
Fabrizio Lippolis
2006-12-13 12:53:29 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi all,

I would like to ask photographers which plugins you use and you think are most useful. Actually I use ufraw for RAW conversion and manipulation and resynthesizer for photo retouching. Thank you.

Regards, Fabrizio

norman
2006-12-13 13:13:57 UTC (over 17 years ago)

I would like to ask photographers which plugins you use and you think are most useful. Actually I use ufraw for RAW conversion and manipulation and resynthesizer for photo retouching. Thank you.

There is a useful redeye reducer.

Norman

Alexander Rabtchevich
2006-12-13 13:55:18 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi, Fabrizio

I use mainly the next plug-ins on everyday basis: 1. UFRaw to import RAW files with my digital camera. I've created a profile with LProf for my G500 and enjoy natural pleasant colors. 2. fblur - focus blur plug-in to imitate blurriness in out-of-focus areas (boke).
3. refocus (do not mix with refocus-it) plugin to add natural sharpness to images (it uses other technique than sharpening). 4. GREYCstoration - for noise reduction. 5. my script to remove red eye.

As for tools, the main ones are: Clone and Heal,
new Crop with fixed ratio, dimmed non-selected areas and possible thirds guidelines
levels and curves (if the source is jpg, not RAW).

What I really miss for in-camera jpegs is advanced WB correction tool. I would like to see gray color picker in WB correction tool, not only in Levels tool. Also I would like the plug-in to be able to take some color from the picture as given color (select a pixel|group of pixels with eye-dropper and enter its desired "correct" color manually (RGB or HSV)) to recalculate the whole picture. The only difference with gray point selector is the sample is not gray, but has known color.

Fabrizio Lippolis wrote:

Hi all,

Regards, Fabrizio

Luca de Alfaro
2006-12-13 22:02:04 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Ok, I made two plugins (available from the repository):

- colortemp: converts the color temperature of an image. You can specify the source temperature in K, or as the temperatue at which a black-body color best matches the selected foreground color.

- whitebalance: converts the foreground color to either neutral gray, or to a specified background color. This is similar to grey-point, the difference being that the color transformation can be performed in the linear, rather than in the gamma-corrected, color space, and so may work better for removing color casts.

I hope these can be useful to others! I was certainly very much in need for them, and I wonder why I was so lazy to learn script-fu only now (lack of documentation? nah, cannot be it ;-).

Luca

Sven Neumann
2006-12-13 22:13:46 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 13:02 -0800, Luca de Alfaro wrote:

I hope these can be useful to others! I was certainly very much in need for them, and I wonder why I was so lazy to learn script-fu only now (lack of documentation? nah, cannot be it ;-).

So these are actually scripts, not plug-ins? Not that it would make much of a difference. Except that plug-ins often offer a nicer UI with preview.

Sven

Luca de Alfaro
2006-12-13 23:01:03 UTC (over 17 years ago)

They are scripts.
I am actually glad that the days of coding in C are past me :-) I looked at the code for some plug-ins, and I decided I'd rather not do that! Also, actually, I prefer scripts, as I can move them from machine to machine without a need to recompile (not on all my machines I have a build environment). They seem preferable - to install them, you just drop them into place!

I actually think that the combination of a number-crunching core written in C, and control scripts written in interpreted, high-level, languages, and consequently easy to install/modify by users, is a very good paradigm. As a user, I am much more likely to tinker with simple, self-contained scheme scripts, than with .c stuff that needs a whole build environment to compile.

Luca

On 12/13/06, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 13:02 -0800, Luca de Alfaro wrote:

So these are actually scripts, not plug-ins? Not that it would make much of a difference. Except that plug-ins often offer a nicer UI with preview.

Sven

Fabrizio Lippolis
2006-12-14 09:50:07 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Alexander Rabtchevich ha scritto:

4. GREYCstoration - for noise reduction.

Yesterday I have tried this one and dcam noise 2. Well, GREYCstoration seems rather slow to me, it takes really long time to complete and at the end I didn't see any improvement to the image (maybe the parameters where not set the right way). The second is much faster though in the first tries the result contained very blurred areas where the noise is particularly strong. Anyway playing with the parameters I could obtain still good details containing the noise and the result is very similar to what I obtained applying the gaussian blur.

Being slower I assume GREYCstoration performs much more complex calculation, do you think it offers a better algorithm than the other plugins around? On the other hand it looks it is not mantained very actively, or am I wrong?

Best regards, Fabrizio

Alexander Rabtchevich
2006-12-14 12:11:13 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hello, Luka

I wasn't able to find this mode, sorry :(. I set foreground color to the current color of some part of an image, the background color to the desired color, set the mode "from foreground color" but it did not help - the color to be changed appeared grey, not background color. I'll try to express the idea. We have some object of the scene of the known color. It is not grey, but it has known color. So I want to adjust the WB to match the actual color of the object with its known color (make them equal).
The practical example follows. My father's room is lighted with halogen lamps, and the light is rather strong. So if I take photos in this room, the resulting light is a combination of flash and external light. And the ratio between these lights differs from shot to shot, so there are no permanent WB settings. And it's really impossible to add grey card to each shot :) at the party. But if the correct color can be once found of some cloths or wall these data may be used when processing further images.

Luca de Alfaro wrote:

Alexander,

yes, I was also very much missing methods for adjusting the white balance of an image.

I wonder if you know, but the grey-point plugin has a mode in which it converts from a color A (foreground, which you can specify with the eyedropper) to color B (background, which you can specify with the eyedropper or with by choosing the color).

Øyvind Kolås
2006-12-14 12:43:24 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On 12/13/06, Luca de Alfaro wrote:

Ok, I made two plugins (available from the repository):

- colortemp: converts the color temperature of an image. You can specify the source temperature in K, or as the temperatue at which a black-body color best matches the selected foreground color.

- whitebalance: converts the foreground color to either neutral gray, or to a specified background color. This is similar to grey-point, the difference being that the color transformation can be performed in the linear, rather than in the gamma-corrected, color space, and so may work better for removing color casts.

Another plug-in to do combined adjustments of whitebalance, levels and saturation can be found at
http://pippin.gimp.org/plug-ins/color_correct/ I haven't touched the code of the plug-in in a long time, and the user interface have a few rough edges, but it provides live preview in the image, as well as the ability to do an initial automatic whitebalance / white balance based on a picked neutral grey, as well as adjusting the blackpoint.

/Øyvind K.

Alexander Rabtchevich
2006-12-14 14:48:05 UTC (over 17 years ago)

I usually use noise reduction with a grain of salt. As I understand, GREYCstoration differs in its approach from most of other filters: it tries to predict some edges in initial picture, not to simply blur it. http://www.haypocalc.com/wiki/GREYCstoration_en I usually decrease the amount of noise reduction the plug-in provides as default. Also if only some important details suffer from visible noise they can be selected and GREYCstoration then applies to the selection only. It takes much less time and memory. Concerning its development it seems it does not take place now :(. The latest version I ever seen is greycstoration-0.2.4-a.tgz . I do not remember where I've got it from.

Fabrizio Lippolis wrote:

Alexander Rabtchevich ha scritto:

4. GREYCstoration - for noise reduction.

Yesterday I have tried this one and dcam noise 2. Well, GREYCstoration seems rather slow to me, it takes really long time to complete and at the end I didn't see any improvement to the image (maybe the parameters where not set the right way). The second is much faster though in the first tries the result contained very blurred areas where the noise is particularly strong. Anyway playing with the parameters I could obtain still good details containing the noise and the result is very similar to what I obtained applying the gaussian blur.

Being slower I assume GREYCstoration performs much more complex calculation, do you think it offers a better algorithm than the other plugins around? On the other hand it looks it is not mantained very actively, or am I wrong?

Best regards, Fabrizio

GSR - FR
2006-12-14 23:04:07 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,
fabrizio.lippolis@aurigainformatica.it (2006-12-14 at 0950.07 +0100):

Gimp version seems be have been untouched for a year, but the core system (CImg lib) gets periodic updates, including a recent speed up in greyc, you can test the command line denoiser for speed changes.

GSR

Fabien3D
2006-12-17 16:39:31 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Le mercredi 13 décembre 2006 12:MM, Fabrizio Lippolis a écrit :

Hi all,

UFRaw is a very good RAW converter, and it exists for Window$ too, which is a good alternative to the very expensive Nikon Camera Raw or Fuji HyperUtility. You can also use KIM, which is an integrated UI to ImageMagick, but available from Konqueror (Richt click>Actions>evey action available from ImageMagick). Image Magick is a command-line image manipulation program. I use it to resize and save photos, add a copyright, simply with a script. KIM allows you to do it with your mouse : you can rotate, resize, convert, save a compressed jpeg, etc.
PTLens is a very cheap - but excellent - plug-in or standalone program to correct deformations and chromatic aberrations on a photo. The database includes a lot of cameras and lenses. For 15 $, you can download every next release. I use it as a batch program to perform the corrections in a folder. Works under Window$.

Have fun !

Fabien3D
2006-12-17 19:03:35 UTC (over 17 years ago)

I had forgotten this one : BIMP
(http://www.dirfile.com/bimp_batch_image_processor.htm) under Window$. It's a Batch Image Processor.

David Hodson
2006-12-18 13:41:43 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Fabien3D wrote:

I had forgotten this one : BIMP
(http://www.dirfile.com/bimp_batch_image_processor.htm) under Window$. It's a Batch Image Processor.

Since this is the Gimp Users list - DBP is a Gimp batch processing plugin (for Linux and Windows, and probably anything else that Gimp compiles on).

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~hodsond/dbp.html

Andrew Swinn
2006-12-18 23:31:33 UTC (over 17 years ago)

David Hodson wrote:
> Since this is the Gimp Users list -

DBP is a Gimp batch processing plugin (for Linux and Windows, and probably anything else that Gimp compiles on).

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~hodsond/dbp.html

Cool, that is something I have been in need of for a while. Just filled in a nice space.

I have a friend who is currently Gimping on a Mac and would love to have something like this. Has anyone compiled this for Mac?

Cheers,

Andrew Swinn

Norman Walsh
2007-01-23 14:49:11 UTC (over 17 years ago)

/ Alexander Rabtchevich was heard to say: | 3. refocus (do not mix with refocus-it) plugin to add natural sharpness | to images (it uses other technique than sharpening).

Hmm. The 0.9.0 release seems to be from 2003 and doesn't compile with GIMP 2.2.13. Is there a more recent version?

Making all in src make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/refocus-0.9.0/src' gcc -DPACKAGE=\"refocus\" -DVERSION=\"0.9.0\" -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_ERF=1 -I. -I. -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/gimp-2.0 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I ../lib -Wall -ansi -pedantic -ggdb -fomit-frame-pointer -O3 -funroll-all-loops -c refocus.c In file included from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtk.h:170, from refocus.c:28:
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtktextbuffer.h:52: warning: ISO C restricts enumerator values to range of ‘int’ /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtktextbuffer.h:53: warning: ISO C restricts enumerator values to range of ‘int’ /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtktextbuffer.h:55: warning: ISO C restricts enumerator values to range of ‘int’ In file included from refocus.c:32:
gimppreview.h:36:1: warning: "GIMP_PREVIEW" redefined In file included from /usr/include/gimp-2.0/libgimpwidgets/gimpwidgets.h:55, from /usr/include/gimp-2.0/libgimp/gimpui.h:25, from gimppreview.h:29, from refocus.c:32:
/usr/include/gimp-2.0/libgimpwidgets/gimppreview.h:34:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition In file included from refocus.c:32:
gimppreview.h:37:1: warning: "GIMP_PREVIEW_CLASS" redefined In file included from /usr/include/gimp-2.0/libgimpwidgets/gimpwidgets.h:55, from /usr/include/gimp-2.0/libgimp/gimpui.h:25, from gimppreview.h:29, from refocus.c:32:
/usr/include/gimp-2.0/libgimpwidgets/gimppreview.h:35:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition In file included from refocus.c:32:
gimppreview.h:38:1: warning: "GIMP_IS_PREVIEW" redefined In file included from /usr/include/gimp-2.0/libgimpwidgets/gimpwidgets.h:55, from /usr/include/gimp-2.0/libgimp/gimpui.h:25, from gimppreview.h:29, from refocus.c:32:
/usr/include/gimp-2.0/libgimpwidgets/gimppreview.h:36:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition In file included from refocus.c:32:
gimppreview.h:39:1: warning: "GIMP_IS_PREVIEW_CLASS" redefined In file included from /usr/include/gimp-2.0/libgimpwidgets/gimpwidgets.h:55, from /usr/include/gimp-2.0/libgimp/gimpui.h:25, from gimppreview.h:29, from refocus.c:32:
/usr/include/gimp-2.0/libgimpwidgets/gimppreview.h:37:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition In file included from refocus.c:32:
gimppreview.h:40: error: redefinition of typedef ‘GimpPreview’ /usr/include/gimp-2.0/libgimpwidgets/gimpwidgetstypes.h:83: error: previous declaration of ‘GimpPreview’ was here gimppreview.h:41: error: redefinition of typedef ‘GimpPreviewClass’ /usr/include/gimp-2.0/libgimpwidgets/gimppreview.h:41: error: previous declaration of ‘GimpPreviewClass’ was here gimppreview.h:45: error: redefinition of ‘struct _GimpPreviewClass’ gimppreview.h:54: error: redefinition of ‘struct _GimpPreview’ refocus.c:60: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type refocus.c: In function ‘run’:
refocus.c:134: error: ‘GimpRunModeType’ undeclared (first use in this function) refocus.c:134: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once refocus.c:134: error: for each function it appears in.) refocus.c:134: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘run_mode’ refocus.c:135: warning: ISO C90 forbids mixed declarations and code refocus.c:143: error: ‘run_mode’ undeclared (first use in this function) refocus.c:189: error: ‘GimpDrawable’ has no member named ‘id’ refocus.c:190: error: ‘GimpDrawable’ has no member named ‘id’ refocus.c: In function ‘preview_callback’: refocus.c:414: error: ‘GimpDrawable’ has no member named ‘id’ refocus.c: In function ‘doit’:
refocus.c:611: error: ‘GimpDrawable’ has no member named ‘id’ refocus.c:621: error: ‘GimpDrawable’ has no member named ‘id’ refocus.c:622: error: ‘GimpDrawable’ has no member named ‘id’ make[1]: *** [refocus.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/refocus-0.9.0/src' make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Be seeing you, norm