RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Color temperature modification plugin available!

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

15 of 16 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Color temperature modification plugin available! Luca de Alfaro 13 Dec 02:51
  Color temperature modification plugin available! Alexander Rabtchevich 13 Dec 08:14
   Color temperature modification plugin available! Luca de Alfaro 13 Dec 08:25
    Color temperature modification plugin available! Alexander Rabtchevich 13 Dec 08:49
     Color temperature modification plugin available! Luca de Alfaro 13 Dec 09:08
      Color temperature modification plugin available! Sven Neumann 13 Dec 09:38
       Color temperature modification plugin available! Alexander Rabtchevich 13 Dec 10:00
        Color temperature modification plugin available! Sven Neumann 13 Dec 10:03
         Color temperature modification plugin available! Luca de Alfaro 13 Dec 18:33
    Color temperature modification plugin available! Sven Neumann 13 Dec 09:12
    Color temperature modification plugin available! Michael Schumacher 13 Dec 11:02
  Color temperature modification plugin available! norman 14 Dec 20:36
   Color temperature modification plugin available! Scott Bicknell 15 Dec 01:07
    Color temperature modification plugin available! norman 15 Dec 12:22
1166180912.5155.78.camel@lo... 07 Oct 20:18
  Color temperature modification plugin available! Luca de Alfaro 15 Dec 17:58
Luca de Alfaro
2006-12-13 02:51:05 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Dear All,

I have just uploaded to the Gimp plug-in repository a plug-in that enables you to modify the color temperature of a photo. I can be used to correct the bluish cast in overcast photos, or even (to some extent) the red cast in photos taken under incandescent light with the camera set to daylight. At least for me, the plugin works better than playing around with the levels and curves menus by hand, in part because the color transformations are done in the linear (rather than gamma-corrected) color space, and use black-body color temperature as reference.

Anyway, I had been wishing for a long time for a tool to modify the color temperature of an image, and now there is one! http://registry.gimp.org/plugin?id=8730 I hope it can be useful to others! Give it a try, it has extensive help included.

All the best,

Luca

Alexander Rabtchevich
2006-12-13 08:14:07 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Thank you, Luka

The plug-in seems to work! I have only one problem with it now - it doesn't define a place to be put in the register procedure. I added /Script-Fu/Enhance/ before the Convert Color Temperature and could find it :). I use GIMP 2.3.12 on Windows.

Luca de Alfaro wrote:

Dear All,

I have just uploaded to the Gimp plug-in repository a plug-in that enables you to modify the color temperature of a photo. I can be used to correct the bluish cast in overcast photos, or even (to some extent) the red cast in photos taken under incandescent light with the camera set to daylight.
At least for me, the plugin works better than playing around with the levels and curves menus by hand, in part because the color transformations are done in the linear (rather than gamma-corrected) color space, and use black-body color temperature as reference.

Anyway, I had been wishing for a long time for a tool to modify the color temperature of an image, and now there is one! http://registry.gimp.org/plugin?id=8730 I hope it can be useful to others! Give it a try, it has extensive help included.

All the best,

Luca

Luca de Alfaro
2006-12-13 08:25:07 UTC (over 17 years ago)

This is strange - I defined it so that it goes under "Tools/Color Tools" for version 1.2 (It used to be Layer/Colors). That's where all the other color manipulation options are... (The script-fu menu seems to be on things other than color manipulation).

Can you check which version you are running? Oh btw, I developed this under Gimp 2.2; I have no idea whether other versions of Gimp have different menu arrangements, so that the plugin does not find a home.

Let me know...

Luca

On 12/12/06, Alexander Rabtchevich wrote:

Thank you, Luka

The plug-in seems to work! I have only one problem with it now - it doesn't define a place to be put in the register procedure. I added /Script-Fu/Enhance/ before the Convert Color Temperature and could find it :). I use GIMP 2.3.12 on Windows.

Luca de Alfaro wrote:

Dear All,

I have just uploaded to the Gimp plug-in repository a plug-in that enables you to modify the color temperature of a photo. I can be used to correct the bluish cast in overcast photos, or even (to some extent) the red cast in photos taken under incandescent light with the camera set to daylight.
At least for me, the plugin works better than playing around with the levels and curves menus by hand, in part because the color transformations are done in the linear (rather than gamma-corrected) color space, and use black-body color temperature as reference.

All the best,

Luca

--
With respect
Alexander Rabtchevich

Alexander Rabtchevich
2006-12-13 08:49:50 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Ok, it appears exactly where you said. I simply wasn't able to find it there.

Luca de Alfaro wrote:

This is strange - I defined it so that it goes under "Tools/Color Tools" for version 1.2 (It used to be Layer/Colors). That's where all the other color manipulation options are... (The script-fu menu seems to be on things other than color manipulation).

Can you check which version you are running? Oh btw, I developed this under Gimp 2.2; I have no idea whether other versions of Gimp have different menu arrangements, so that the plugin does not find a home.

Let me know...

Luca

Luca de Alfaro
2006-12-13 09:08:13 UTC (over 17 years ago)

I am new to writing plugins - am I violating some convention by putting my plugin in Tools/Color Tools? It seems the best category from the point of view of fit, but perhaps I should use Script-Fu/Color Tools/ instead? I don't like the "enhance" category, as it seems to be very ill-defined (well, all we do is enhancing, isn't it? surely "curves" is also enhancing...).

Others on the list, please feel free to advise. Either way, it's a trivial change for me to do.

Luca

(sorry for the re-send; I was using the wrong email address)

On 12/12/06, Alexander Rabtchevich wrote:

Ok, it appears exactly where you said. I simply wasn't able to find it there.

Luca de Alfaro wrote:

Let me know...

Luca

--
With respect
Alexander Rabtchevich

Sven Neumann
2006-12-13 09:12:07 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 23:25 -0800, Luca de Alfaro wrote:

Only tools should go there and your plug-ins is not a tool (it doesn't live in the toolbox, it doesn't use mouse input from the image window). Please move your plug-in away there to avoid confusion.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2006-12-13 09:38:52 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 00:08 -0800, Luca de Alfaro wrote:

I am new to writing plugins - am I violating some convention by putting my plugin in Tools/Color Tools? It seems the best category from the point of view of fit, but perhaps I should use Script-Fu/Color Tools/ instead? I don't like the "enhance" category, as it seems to be very ill-defined (well, all we do is enhancing, isn't it? surely "curves" is also enhancing...).

Filters->Colors seems most appropriate for GIMP 2.2. In 2.3 we have done a larger reorganization of the menus and you would probably put it into the toplevel Colors menu there.

At some point someone really needs to write a GIMP menu editor so that users can put their favorite plug-ins where they like them best.

Sven

Alexander Rabtchevich
2006-12-13 10:00:34 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Sven, I've seen you newest image window on the blog. Does it mean there will be no script-fu or even tiny-fu top menu entry at all?

Sven Neumann wrote:

Filters->Colors seems most appropriate for GIMP 2.2. In 2.3 we have done a larger reorganization of the menus and you would probably put it into the toplevel Colors menu there.

At some point someone really needs to write a GIMP menu editor so that users can put their favorite plug-ins where they like them best.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2006-12-13 10:03:08 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 11:00 +0200, Alexander Rabtchevich wrote:

Sven, I've seen you newest image window on the blog. Does it mean there will be no script-fu or even tiny-fu top menu entry at all?

Indeed. Well, at least not with the set of plug-ins and scripts that ships with 2.4. Old scripts will still be able to register in the old menu locations and that will cause the respective menu branches to be created. We expect that people will adjust their scripts and plug-ins to the new menu hierarchy sooner or later.

Sven

Michael Schumacher
2006-12-13 11:02:08 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Von: "Luca de Alfaro"

Can you check which version you are running? Oh btw, I developed this under Gimp 2.2; I have no idea whether other versions of Gimp have different menu arrangements

They have. The menu layout of 2.3 has changed quite a lot, and there are even some new locations where scripts can register - some of the context menus of e.g. palettes, paths, ...

HTH, Michael

Luca de Alfaro
2006-12-13 18:33:35 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

I took Sven's advice, and moved the plug-in to Filters/Colors/Convert Color Temperature.
Indeed Sven is right, that is a more logical place, and since the new model going forward is to
have plugins register to the appropriate area, rather than "script-fu", I went ahead with that.

BTW, I like the idea of configurable menus. It would be great if Gimp stored the menu configuration in an easy to locate file (as Gimp does now for most things), making it easy to copy the file from one machine to the other to keep the menus consistent.

Best,

Luca

On 12/13/06, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 11:00 +0200, Alexander Rabtchevich wrote:

Indeed. Well, at least not with the set of plug-ins and scripts that ships with 2.4. Old scripts will still be able to register in the old menu locations and that will cause the respective menu branches to be created. We expect that people will adjust their scripts and plug-ins to the new menu hierarchy sooner or later.

Sven

norman
2006-12-14 20:36:10 UTC (over 17 years ago)

< snip >

http://registry.gimp.org/plugin?id=8730

I hope it can be useful to others! Give it a try, it has extensive help included.

I would be glad to give it a try if you could please explain to this, somewhat ignorant linux user, what to do to obtain the plugin.

Norman

Scott Bicknell
2006-12-15 01:07:12 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Thursday 14 December 2006 11:36 am, norman wrote:

I would be glad to give it a try if you could please explain to this, somewhat ignorant linux user, what to do to obtain the plugin.

http://registry.gimp.org/file/colortemp.scm?action=download&id=8738

Follow that link. Then save the file to your /home/$USER/.gimp*/scripts directory.

norman
2006-12-15 12:22:46 UTC (over 17 years ago)

http://registry.gimp.org/file/colortemp.scm?action=download&id=8738

Follow that link. Then save the file to your /home/$USER/.gimp*/scripts directory.

Thanks, it worked and all is well.

Norman

Luca de Alfaro
2006-12-15 17:58:54 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Not as a script. It does not depend on the script, but on how Gimp calls the script. Unfortunately, the script is called only when you press OK, and not when you modify a control.
It's a pity, and I wonder if scripts could be called differently - at each change of some control - in some future version of Gimp.

Luca

On 12/15/06, norman wrote:

Simple: download it, and put it into the ~/.gimp-2.2/scripts/ directory.
That's it. Then start Gimp, and you will find it in Filters/Colors/Whitebalance or Filters/Colors/Convert Color Temperature.

Thank you, I found it in Filters/Colours/Convert Colour Temperature. It certainly is effective.

Would it be possible to make it show the effect as sliders are moved before having to click OK.

Regards

Norman