RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

saving colors with color picker

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

11 of 11 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

saving colors with color picker Anthony Ettinger 09 Dec 20:59
  saving colors with color picker Jozef Legeny 26 Dec 15:31
   saving colors with color picker David Gowers 27 Dec 00:24
saving colors with color picker Jerry Baker 09 Dec 21:38
  saving colors with color picker Sven Neumann 09 Dec 21:46
   saving colors with color picker Chris Mohler 09 Dec 21:50
    saving colors with color picker jbaker 09 Dec 22:22
     saving colors with color picker Sven Neumann 09 Dec 22:32
  saving colors with color picker Anthony Ettinger 11 Dec 22:37
   saving colors with color picker Sven Neumann 11 Dec 22:55
    saving colors with color picker Anthony Ettinger 11 Dec 23:06
Anthony Ettinger
2006-12-09 20:59:12 UTC (over 17 years ago)

I can't figure out how to do this....

when I click the color picker tool, it just sets fg and bg.

How do I save it so I can change color, and then re-use again later?

Jerry Baker
2006-12-09 21:38:42 UTC (over 17 years ago)

I had this same issue a few days ago...

You have a few options: There is a color history in the "Standard Colors Dialog" - This is the window that pops up when you click the foreground/background in the toolbox. It's the boxes in the lower right corner... If you don't have the fg/bg enabled in the toolbox you can get to it by File > Preferences > Toolbox > Show Foreground/Background...

Other Options: You could: Use the foreground/background as storage areas, but your limited to only two colors...

You could: Create a palette to use temporarily, and store your colors there...

You could: Create a temporary "color storage layer", and paint small areas that you could pick from with the eye dropper...

It would be nice if the color history was quicker to use... I submitted an idea/request here: http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=383083 but it ended up being a solution that wasn't in-line with the way the developers are moving... Maybe someone else can offer some other suggestions to improve this functionality...

Sven Neumann
2006-12-09 21:46:59 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Sat, 2006-12-09 at 15:38 -0500, Jerry Baker wrote:

It would be nice if the color history was quicker to use... I submitted an idea/request here: http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=383083 but it ended up being a solution that wasn't in-line with the way the developers are moving... Maybe someone else can offer some other suggestions to improve this functionality...

What if the color history became another color selector in the Colors tab? It would be equivalent to the triangle, palette and other selectors and live in it's own tab. That would be pretty straight-forward to implement and seems to go well with the concept of color selectors that we have now.

Sven

Chris Mohler
2006-12-09 21:50:54 UTC (over 17 years ago)

What if the color history became another color selector in the Colors tab? It would be equivalent to the triangle, palette and other selectors and live in it's own tab. That would be pretty straight-forward to implement and seems to go well with the concept of color selectors that we have now.

I agree.

Just my two cents...

Chris

jbaker
2006-12-09 22:22:21 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Chris Mohler wrote:

I agree.

Just my two cents...

Chris

I agree also... It would be quicker to use, and easier to find...

Sven Neumann
2006-12-09 22:32:17 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Sat, 2006-12-09 at 16:22 -0500, jbaker wrote:

I agree also... It would be quicker to use, and easier to find...

Now all we need is a volunteer to move some code around. Anyone interested? Perhaps we should suggest this on the gimp-developer list?

Sven

Anthony Ettinger
2006-12-11 22:37:33 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On 12/9/06, Jerry Baker wrote:

I had this same issue a few days ago...

You have a few options: There is a color history in the "Standard Colors Dialog" - This is the window that pops up when you click the foreground/background in the toolbox. It's the boxes in the lower right corner... If you don't have the fg/bg enabled in the toolbox you can get to it by File > Preferences > Toolbox > Show Foreground/Background...

Thanks, this works fine. Although I thought there was a way to save a color pallete for re-use later.

Other Options:
You could: Use the foreground/background as storage areas, but your limited to only two colors...

Not ideal.

You could: Create a palette to use temporarily, and store your colors there...

You could: Create a temporary "color storage layer", and paint small areas that you could pick from with the eye dropper...

Good idea for saving, but then constantly updating would be a pain.

It would be nice if the color history was quicker to use... I submitted an idea/request here: http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=383083 but it ended up being a solution that wasn't in-line with the way the developers are moving... Maybe someone else can offer some other suggestions to improve this functionality... _______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Sven Neumann
2006-12-11 22:55:25 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 13:37 -0800, Anthony Ettinger wrote:

Thanks, this works fine. Although I thought there was a way to save a color pallete for re-use later.

It would probably not be difficult to add code that creates a color palette from the color-history. If you can think of nice way to integrate that with the color history user interface, you should file this as an enhancement request at bugzilla.gnome.org.

Sven

Anthony Ettinger
2006-12-11 23:06:38 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On 12/11/06, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 13:37 -0800, Anthony Ettinger wrote:

It would probably not be difficult to add code that creates a color palette from the color-history. If you can think of nice way to integrate that with the color history user interface, you should file this as an enhancement request at bugzilla.gnome.org.

I would assume a logical place would be in the color-palette editor where you choose your colors.
If you could save that palette somewhere...

Jozef Legeny
2006-12-26 15:31:26 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On 12/9/06, Anthony Ettinger wrote:

-- Anthony Ettinger
phone: 408-656-2473
resume: http://chovy.dyndns.org/resume.html Currently available for contract work blog: http://www.chovy.com
_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

create a palette (dialogs -> palettes -> new palette) then when you have your color as an active color you can use "new color from foreground color" button in your palette dialog

David Gowers
2006-12-27 00:24:44 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On 12/27/06, Jozef Legeny wrote:

On 12/9/06, Anthony Ettinger wrote:

-- Anthony Ettinger

create a palette (dialogs -> palettes -> new palette) then when you have your color as an active color you can use "new color from foreground color" button in your palette dialog

No, there is an option in the eyedropper tool options specifically to add the eyedropped color to the palette. Use that, it's much more effective.