RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Future of Gimp ?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Future of Gimp ? Jerry Baker 09 Dec 01:48
  Future of Gimp ? Anthony Ettinger 09 Dec 03:48
   Future of Gimp ? David Marrs 09 Dec 17:34
    Future of Gimp ? operator 13 Dec 10:10
   Future of Gimp ? Jerry Baker 09 Dec 20:55
    Future of Gimp ? John Meyer 10 Dec 00:51
     Future of Gimp ? David Gowers 10 Dec 02:20
  Future of Gimp ? Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 10 Dec 03:37
   Future of Gimp ? Sven Neumann 10 Dec 12:39
Jerry Baker
2006-12-09 01:48:47 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Future of Gimp ?

I light of the Microsoft/Novell agreement and all of this talk about GPL 3, I was just curious if the gimp team has had any discussions on whether they will be moving to GPL 3 whenever it is completed.

Anthony Ettinger
2006-12-09 03:48:33 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Future of Gimp ?

On 12/8/06, Jerry Baker wrote:

I light of the Microsoft/Novell agreement and all of this talk about GPL 3, I was just curious if the gimp team has had any discussions on whether they will be moving to GPL 3 whenever it is completed.

What are the implications? I haven't read about the MS/Novell & GPL 3 thing.

David Marrs
2006-12-09 17:34:00 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Future of Gimp ?

Anthony Ettinger wrote:

There was talk of adding a clause to v3 that would help secure free software against patent trolls in such a way that if Company A promises not to sue Company B for using an infringing algorithm in a GPLed application, that promise has to extend to every user of that application.

In other words, if MS promise not to sue Novell over Mono, implicit in that agreement is the promise not to sue me over Mono, regardless of whether I'm running SuSE or something else.

Personally, I'm in favour of GPLv3 anyway. All it's doing is closing loopholes that enable distributors to avoid granting me one or more of the freedoms I come to expect from free software.

Regards, David

Jerry Baker
2006-12-09 20:55:50 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Future of Gimp ?

John Meyer
2006-12-10 00:51:38 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Future of Gimp ?

Jerry Baker wrote:

This link has a pretty good overview: http://money.cnn.com/blogs/legalpad/index.html#116360365189479898

Just me, but I couldn't find a reference to GIMP.

David Gowers
2006-12-10 02:20:38 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Future of Gimp ?

On 12/10/06, John Meyer wrote:

Jerry Baker wrote:

This link has a pretty good overview: http://money.cnn.com/blogs/legalpad/index.html#116360365189479898

Just me, but I couldn't find a reference to GIMP.

There isn't one. The terms of the GPL 3 have no direct bearing on GPL 2 software.
As for the option of using GPL 3 for GIMP, I don't know if it's been discussed. As far as I know the distinctions made are unnecessary for GIMP itself; All code that could relate to patents is used by plugins, most often indirectly via a library. Of course, all code relates to patents with the ridiculous current situation. Really I refer to the patents that have a shred or more of plausibility.

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2006-12-10 03:37:02 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Future of Gimp ?

On Friday 08 December 2006 22:48, Jerry Baker wrote:

Sven Neumann
2006-12-10 12:39:03 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Future of Gimp ?

Hi,

On Sun, 2006-12-10 at 00:37 -0200, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

$head gimp/app/main.c

/* The GIMP -- an image manipulation program * Copyright (C) 1995 Spencer Kimball and Peter Mattis *
* This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by * the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or * (at your option) any later version. ^^^^^

This only gives you the right to distribute it under the terms of GPL version 3. As long as the GIMP developers don't decide to change the license to GPL version 3, you could still also distribute it under the terms of GPL version 2 and the changes in version 3 wouldn't apply.

So we might at some point discuss to put new releases under GPL version 3. But I would like to see a final version of the license before we even discuss this. We have enough to do with the 2.4 release right now.

Sven

operator
2006-12-13 10:10:11 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Future of Gimp ?

That's great! I really like that idea :-) operator

David Marrs wrote:

Anthony Ettinger wrote:

There was talk of adding a clause to v3 that would help secure free software against patent trolls in such a way that if Company A promises not to sue Company B for using an infringing algorithm in a GPLed application, that promise has to extend to every user of that application.

In other words, if MS promise not to sue Novell over Mono, implicit in that agreement is the promise not to sue me over Mono, regardless of whether I'm running SuSE or something else.

Personally, I'm in favour of GPLv3 anyway. All it's doing is closing loopholes that enable distributors to avoid granting me one or more of the freedoms I come to expect from free software.

Regards, David