RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

what is the most simple bit map file format

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

what is the most simple bit map file format rob 08 Nov 23:16
  what is the most simple bit map file format Jeffrey Brent McBeth 08 Nov 23:35
rob
2006-11-08 23:16:02 UTC (over 17 years ago)

I wanted to understand a graphics file format... any format that could be disected with a programming language...any programming language. What is the absolute simplest bit map file format we can save out a black and white image in GIMP?
I think it might be PPM in my version 2.2.6 but there may be somehing simpler for black and white images like what I look to end up with in making screen color seperations. Space is not an issue any more with 80 gig hard drives so compression is not needed any more.
So leaving out ALL compressed graphics formats.... whats left? Interesting enough....ASCII art is a SAVE AS option. I wonder how fine a grain of detail we get when saving as ASCII art. I have to play with that one.

Jeffrey Brent McBeth
2006-11-08 23:35:07 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 05:16:02PM -0500, rob wrote:

I wanted to understand a graphics file format... any format that could be disected with a programming language...any programming language. What is the absolute simplest bit map file format we can save out a black and white image in GIMP?
I think it might be PPM in my version 2.2.6 but there may be somehing simpler for black and white images like what I look to end up with in making screen color seperations. Space is not an issue any more with 80 gig hard drives so compression is not needed any more.
So leaving out ALL compressed graphics formats.... whats left? Interesting enough....ASCII art is a SAVE AS option. I wonder how fine a grain of detail we get when saving as ASCII art. I have to play with that one.

PPM is probably the simplest format to write your own reader for, but xbm would be the easiest to dissect in C, as an xbm is secretly just a C source file with an embedded char array you can simply include in your compile.

Jeff