RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Cannot copy and paste rectangular selections -- "problem" solved

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Cannot copy and paste rectangular selections Chris Wolf 04 Nov 18:05
454CEB88.9020007@gmail.com 07 Oct 20:18
  Cannot copy and paste rectangular selections -- "problem" solved Chris Wolf 05 Nov 03:24
Chris Wolf
2006-11-04 18:05:54 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Cannot copy and paste rectangular selections

To create web-ready images which have feathered edges, I would simply use the rectangular selection tool, with feathered edges checked (on), a radius of, say 20, auto shrink selection checked (on) and select from the source image and paste to a new image with a black background.

The result would be an image with edges fading to black and rounded corners.

For some reason, this does not work any more -- when I paste to the new black image,
the whole source image gets pasted, not just the selected area and there are no rounded corners.

I was using Gimp 2.2.10 on MacOS-10.4.7. I Even tried upgrading to Gimp 2.2.11, with no
improvement.

I did this a million times before successfully and can't understand why it's not working now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Chris

Chris Wolf
2006-11-05 03:24:11 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Cannot copy and paste rectangular selections -- "problem" solved

Chris Wolf wrote:

Chris Wolf wrote:

To create web-ready images which have feathered edges, I would simply use the rectangular selection tool, with feathered edges checked (on), a radius of, say 20, auto shrink selection checked (on) and select from the source image and paste to a new image with a black background.

The result would be an image with edges fading to black and rounded corners.
For some reason, this does not work any more -- when I paste to the new black image,
the whole source image gets pasted, not just the selected area and there are no rounded corners.

I was using Gimp 2.2.10 on MacOS-10.4.7. I Even tried upgrading to Gimp 2.2.11, with no
improvement.

I did this a million times before successfully and can't understand why it's not working now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Chris

I reverted back to Gimp 2.2.10, since that was the last version that worked for feathered edges.
I also shutdown and restarted the machine -- it still does not work. I attached a screen shot
of my attempt to paste a rectangular, feathered selection into a blank, new image (the one on
the left, the image on the right is the source image.)

Can anyone see if I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks again,

-Chris

------------------------------------------------------------------------

My rectangular selections were too close to the edge of the source photo. That was the issue. Sorry, everyone for taking your time.